I'm almost in tears..need a pep talk or something!

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place.

Long story short I was NEVER a gym person, never worked out or anything. I took the plunge and started working out-then went to another level and hired a personal trainer at my gym in January and she changed my life. My body changed, I have been doing things I would have never imagined, I am stronger,etc. I have become a "gym person" and I like it.

Sadly, I found out today that the owners of my gym sold and she is gone (they did a sweep of everyone to bring in new people). I have anxiety and if i wasn't at work I would be full blown crying. I know it sounds dumb but I can't do this alone-I NEED that push and she really helped me so much. I'm scared of having to find someone else, starting from square one,etc when I have come SO far the past 9 months ( I was even named member of the month one month-ME! NEVER would I have guessed THAT to happen!).

Has anyone else ever gone through this? How do you deal?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Is there any way you have this trainer's personal contact information? Maybe you can find out where she is going to and go there? If it's not too inconvenient, of course.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    ^^^ I was going to suggest that as well. If she's a trainer, she's most likely just going to apply at other gyms in the area! Try to get in contact with her and follow to wherever she is currently working. Good luck! There will be another match though, so don't be discouraged. After all this time, I'm sure you have it in you to stay motivated and continue on.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    I haven't gone through exactly your scenario but I have lost my training partner to another gym and it stank.

I then moved country with work and was completely out on my own. I found crossfit and it's literally a life changer. A fun and inspiring environment with healthy people looking out for one another - you will never lose your gym again.

Give it a go - don't be intimidated - everything is scaleable and everyone has had to walk through the doors for the first time at one point
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Is there any way you have this trainer's personal contact information? Maybe you can find out where she is going to and go there? If it's not too inconvenient, of course.

This. And, tell the new owners how you feel even if you decide to stay at that gym.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    You act" as if," of course. You act "as if" you are not afraid.
    You found somebody great. You will find somebody great again. Someone new, who will stress different things and teach you things the other person did not.
    It is part of growth. It is part of progressing. It is part of getting stronger.
    You can get through this just as you got through your trepidation before. Good luck!

If you're able, this approach (vs telling the new owners) seems to me like a strong step in the right direction.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Remember, YOU did the work to get where you are today, and you can continue to do so. Work hard and keep pushing yourself for her.
  • denise2648
    denise2648 Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2016
    Of course I am staying a member at the gym tho. I trained with her twice a week and the rest on my own. But like I said I need that extra push. I know this sounds so dumb lol but I guess I am in panic mode.

She was only training part time-she has a regular day job. She has my info and said that her and her husband (who trains as well) are working on something so they are not leaving the industry altogether. But I have to keep going obviously
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    You act" as if," of course. You act "as if" you are not afraid.
    You found somebody great. You will find somebody great again. Someone new, who will stress different things and teach you things the other person did not.
    It is part of growth. It is part of progressing. It is part of getting stronger.
    You can get through this just as you got through your trepidation before. Good luck!

Thanks for this-you are right. Someone new WILL be able to teach me new things so I do have to look at it that way. I just freak at the thought of having to start all over again with someone new who has to learn what I can do,etc.

I don't know how any of this will play out. Between my trainer and her husband, they trained 60 people and I'm not sure how many the other trainers had. From what I can tell at this point, they now only have 3 trainers. So how will they be able to handle their clients AND take on others? Plus I wonder how many people will stop training altogether. I mean that's obviously not my problem but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Thanks you guys...like I said I just in panic mode ..plus it's been a crazy week and hearing this news is just making me feel worse than I already do. I think I will go to a spin class tonight just to hopefully help deal with this stress.

This. And, tell the new owners how you feel even if you decide to stay at that gym.

Oh trust me, I am sure that MANY will be telling the new owners because the staff had a VERY loyal following and I know that people will not be happy.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am on my 4th trainer, who is absolutely amazing. I liked all of my previous trainers, but she was so positive and knew exactly what worked for me. She then got promoted earlier this year, and I have to pay a little more for each session. When I first found out, it was after I got sick and lost my job, so it was an already crappy time. I was absolutely devastated. Its okay to feel how you feel, it's like a teacher who made a huge impact, or a doctor who actually cares about you. I still have her contact info, and we're working something out so that it will be affordable again. But since she is my 4th trainer, I still learned so much from my other trainers, and was feeling pretty good. I hope you can work something out, but either way, a personal trainer will help you.
  • denise2648
    denise2648 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement everyone. They were JUST able to start me with a new trainer this week and she could only see me once for these 2 weeks then I should be back onto 2 days a week with a trainer. I am keeping an open mind but didn't get the BEST impression from her, plus little things like yesterday I was at the gym (taking a class) and she was there and didn't even say hi to me or anything. So not too personable. But I want do to give it a few sessions with her before I make a decision tho. Our first session was more of her finding out my goals,etc and she just had me do a few things to get an idea of how I move. Now the guy who did the boot camp class I had last night was GOOD and I may wind up seeing if he can train me if she doesn't work out. This is so hard. My last one, we clicked right away. I just want to get on track again and hate that I have to maybe try a few different ones because I feel like i am wasting my sessions if that makes sense.
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    I know this response is less direct to address the personal training, but have you ever tried group fitness classes (if your gym offers them)? The instructors can really help give you that drive and the community energy is phenomenal to power through workouts together.
  • manyasolos
    manyasolos Posts: 8 Member
    I recent;ly went through the same thing. My new trainer ended up being even better than the last one. A couple of things that might help; Talk to your gym (athletic director or general manager) about covering the costs for 2 sessions. They should have offered this as you "try out" a new trainer. You should not have to pay for the learning curve. Also, most gyms give 2 sessions of free training with sign-up so this will not be a big deal for them. Second, if you do not feel like the new trainer is a "good fit" you do not have to stay with her. Trust your instincts. It's your money and time. Be proactive and get what you need instead of being "nice."
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    would this person want you to derail cuz they left? pick yourself up and use all the things they taught you and never quit and never give up. do them proud and just do this thing!