Bathroom Troubles

Options
2»

Replies

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and it sucks! Too much fiber is painful..not enough is worse. Not going for days. My last marathon "no-go" was 6 days. I can't find balance. I worked with a health coach who had me do the corn test. Transit time in my sluggish digestive tract was 3-4 days! I am jealous of the regular people!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    blueeyetea wrote: »
    You should aim for once a day, and sorry for the ick factor, but also look at how soft or firm your stools are. To determine if you're system is clearing out as it should, do this: eat some fresh corn and check how long the kernels take to come out the other end.

Apart from the fiber, I agree with minublindfold25, make sure you drink enough water, as fiber needs to fill with water to pass quickly. Taking psyllium husks (metamucil), another fiber, might help too.

If you are a thrill seeker and thrive on adrenaline eat beets. They will scare the bejeezus out of you until you remember that you ate them ;)

I'd like to eat beets. How can you cook them in such a way to take out all the beetiness flavor? Sometimes I will toss a little in with roasted root vegetables, but I'd prefer more transformation.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love that you want beets to taste less beety. @kshama2001
  • MeganCannon
    MeganCannon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You should aim for once a day, and sorry for the ick factor, but also look at how soft or firm your stools are. To determine if you're system is clearing out as it should, do this: eat some fresh corn and check how long the kernels take to come out the other end.

Apart from the fiber, I agree with minublindfold25, make sure you drink enough water, as fiber needs to fill with water to pass quickly. Taking psyllium husks (metamucil), another fiber, might help too.

If you are a thrill seeker and thrive on adrenaline eat beets. They will scare the bejeezus out of you until you remember that you ate them ;)

I'd like to eat beets. How can you cook them in such a way to take out all the beetiness flavor? Sometimes I will toss a little in with roasted root vegetables, but I'd prefer more transformation.

Well one way to jazz them up is chop an onion and chop the beets, toss into a pot of water that just covers them, add some lemon and rosemary. I love the beety taste, I eat pickled beets a lot also.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

this same thing happens with my wife's mole - it has a ton of dried red peppers so you get the same effect!! :D
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

this same thing happens with my wife's mole - it has a ton of dried red peppers so you get the same effect!! :D

I bet it has you like.... oe7gbf9bjjf6.jpg
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My record is 21 days. Of course I wound up in the hospital and they had to knock me out and go in and get it, but that was due to me having underlying health issues.

Anyway, if you're not uncomfortable, it's not really something to worry about. Not everyone goes every day.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Happened to my husband recently. Oldest kiddo harvested from his raised bed, only hubby likes them, and there you go. Scared himself nearly shitless. ;)

eta: I made it through the kitten filter!

They can turn you tinkle also! The funny part about the red poop is it can last several days if you eat them in quantity as I have been know to do. This can really mess with your head. LOL!

Yeah. Try calling your doctor's nurse back to cancel the appointment you made and telling her "um, I remembered I ate beets for 3 meals running..." Meanwhile the nurse is quite obviously trying not to laugh out loud...
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bowel movements don't need to be everyday. Everyone is different and a change in diet can completely change your bowel movements.

Before I started dieting, I would go everyday. After I started my diet, I was worried because I didn't go for about three days and that wasn't normal for me. On the fourth day, I finally had to go and that has simply been my new routine for the past month or so. I only need to use the restroom about 2-3 times a week and feel fine with it. I even monitor when I go on my calendar app when I bring my phone to the loo with me, lol (okay TMI I know).
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Happened to my husband recently. Oldest kiddo harvested from his raised bed, only hubby likes them, and there you go. Scared himself nearly shitless. ;)

eta: I made it through the kitten filter!

They can turn you tinkle also! The funny part about the red poop is it can last several days if you eat them in quantity as I have been know to do. This can really mess with your head. LOL!

Yeah. Try calling your doctor's nurse back to cancel the appointment you made and telling her "um, I remembered I ate beets for 3 meals running..." Meanwhile the nurse is quite obviously trying not to laugh out loud...

HA! OMG! I almost called the Dr once but never made it that far before I was face palming.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I must go everyday and do everything i can to ensure it happens. If i miss 2 days in a row i end up with excruciating pain and vomiting. Fibre and plenty of water are my best friends.
  • Dejahvu04
    Dejahvu04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Omg me too! I go about twice a week, this scares me but I eat and drink enough and I have no pains so I kind of deal with it, only I feel like the more bowel movements I have the more weight I will lose so it does make me kind of worried
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I get upset when I don't go because I look pregnant.
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat more high fiber foods and drink water before and after a workout and I've went 3 times this week
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and noticed my fiber was always way low and my doctor suggested foods like Raisin Bran or prune juice but I didn't want to waste the calories, so I got some Metamucil. 20 cals a teaspoon and seems to be working.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    May i suggest taking a magnesium supplement at night. One, it helps you sleep as it relaxes muscles... most people are deficient in this mineral.. and it keeps you regular. It also helps with restless leg syndrome.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    May i suggest taking a magnesium supplement at night. One, it helps you sleep as it relaxes muscles... most people are deficient in this mineral.. and it keeps you regular. It also helps with restless leg syndrome.

Yes, yes and yes! These are the exact reasons i take Magnesium every night before bed. I started off taking it because it kept me regular, it was a bonus (especially for my husband ) that it also put a stop to my restless leg syndrome.