What Are Your Food Alternatives

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also, when making cauliflower into mash, don't you have to boil it to 80s levels of mush and therefore lose all of the nutrients?

You don't have to, no. I steam mine. I'm not really here to have a debate about potatoes vs cauliflower - eat whatever you want, lol. The OP asked for alternatives and I gave her one of mine.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    mordant57 wrote: »
    I don't have a lot of them, but often do pork rinds instead of chips. Satisfyingly crunchy, no carb and high protein!

I tried this and couldn't get past the taste of them. I had plain though so maybe it's just plain that I don't like. what's your favorite flavor?
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Do you guys have any go to alternatives for the not so healthy food you love?

Instead of potato chips what do you have?

Multibag packs of chips, not the big family bags ...my go to are Walkers Pops smokey bacon and cheese and Quavers (both under 90 cals) I also like basic Walkers multipacks (130 cals)

Instead of a chocolate bar what do you have?
    A chocolate bar or a few pieces of dark chocolate or strawberries dipped in dark chocolate and left to set, or a nestle fab ice lolly (all around 100)

Instead of bacon wh....there is no substitute for bacon! :'(

Bacon ..2 grilled back bacon rashers are 120 calories

Would love to know your healthy alternatives.

But old pile of no need for substitutes

Quavers! Now I must get some for my snack stash. Currently got Space Raiders in there.
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

5) Instead of take out pizza - Fathead pizza, or if you're not doing low carb, mini pizzas using english muffins as the "dough". So easy and better for you.

What makes the flour, yeast, salt and water in an English muffin better for you than the flour, yeast, salt and water in pizza dough?

Better for you as in - you're eating smaller quantities of it (flour/yeast/salt) since it takes 1/2 the muffin to make 1 small pizza and it's not "Take out pizza" - greasy pan fried pizza dough from pizza hut or whatever. They cook their pizzas in a cup of oil.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options

1) Parsnip chips
    2) Dark chocolate - 90% and above. The more bitter the less I'm able to binge eat it.
    3) Bacon, just plain regular ol bacon!
    4) Instead of mashed potatoes - Mashed cauliflower whipped with garlic, cream cheese and butter. More vitamins, more fiber, more filling and better for you.
    5) Instead of take out pizza - Fathead pizza, or if you're not doing low carb, mini pizzas using english muffins as the "dough". So easy and better for you.
    6) Instead of wheat spaghetti - spaghetti squash. Bake the whole thing for an hour, then chop it in 1/2 and scoop out "spaghetti". I pan fried it in garlic and butter once I had scooped it all out and it was delicious.

BIB: How so? English muffins are just bread, just like pizza dough.
  • ouryve
    Options
    4) Instead of mashed potatoes - Mashed cauliflower whipped with garlic, cream cheese and butter. More vitamins, more fiber, more filling and better for you.

That sounds so unique. I have never tried mashed cauliflower. Is the consistency and texture just like mashed potato?

No. It lacks the starchiness that makes mashed potatoes what they are, so it's not a successful substitute. And it tastes of cauliflower, not potatoes. It's good though if what you want is cauliflower.

It would make me *kitten* for a week, too.
  • ouryve
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That sounds so unique. I have never tried mashed cauliflower. Is the consistency and texture just like mashed potato?

No. It lacks the starchiness that makes mashed potatoes what they are, so it's not a successful substitute. And it tastes of cauliflower, not potatoes. It's good though if what you want is cauliflower.

Although I personally think cauliflower tastes better non-mashed (and I like cauliflower just as much as I like potatoes -- both are delicious, just different). I am always mystified by the effort to make a perfectly good food like cauliflower dress up like other foods that it's not really like. If you think potatoes are too many calories, eat less of them or eat something else, don't pretend like the something else is potatoes, IMO. But of course everyone is different, I just don't get it. It's like cauliflower isn't good enough unless it's masquerading as something else.

It baffles me more that spuds are considered high calorie. I can have a big pile of Jersey Royals or a massive baked tatie and it ends up being about 125 kcal! Why fake it when it's that good. I eat bread with one slice being more calorific!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My alternatives include

Going for a walk
    Knitting or other crafty hobby
    Baking (sounds counter-intuitive, but I'm not a big lick-the-spoon person, and the kids eat up the results so I don't have to)
    Doing household chores as a distraction (well, they have to be done anyway)

But really, I eat all my favourite treat foods sometimes, but have learned I really need to portion them out into reasonable serves and the put the rest away!
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Chips: Pop Chips Tangy BBQ are delicious and low calorie, 1 serving (20 chips) is 120 calories
    Plain or lightly salted snack bags of popcorn
    Sweet potato kettle chips, they seem to be less greasy and lower cal than regular ones
    Lightly Salted Snap Pea Crisps, these are kind of addictive, 1 serving is 110 calories for 22 crisps
    Chocolate- cut out milk and eat dark instead. It tastes a million times better anyway, is way more rich and satisfying for less, and it has a few health benefits as well! I just have a couple squares of Dove or Ghirardelli when I'm craving something sweet
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My alternative is eat a smaller amount of the junk I love. There's just one really, and that is Cheetos Puffs. LOVE THEM. I eat Trader Joe's White Cheddar Corn Puffs instead - and measure out one serving, and stick to that. Just 130 calories, and my cheesy/crunchy craving for the day is satisfied :)
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I substitute 2% or 4% cottage cheese for the mayo in tuna salad. Holy cow does that pack a protein punch and limit the fat. Lets me have a side of chips with it if I want.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

If I'm looking for something crunchy and salty I go for roasted, salted nuts. Usually almonds or cashews. If I want something to scoop up dip with, fresh veggies are perfect.

I have a couple squares of very good quality, very dark (85% or more) chocolate.

Bacon has a lot of monounsaturated fat (the undisputed good kind). Not sure why it gets such a bad rap.... I guess technically it is a "processed" meat, but so long as your protein sources are varied, a few slices now and then is perfectly fine.

Other substitutes I tend to use - instead of putting taco meat and fixings in a tortilla, I put them on a bed of lettuce. Instead of flavored coffee "creamer" I use half and half or heavy cream. I opt for plain, full fat regular or greek yogurt. Okay, so I opt for the full fat version of everything.. Not so much because it's "healthier" per se (though sometimes I think it is), but because higher fat foods tend to be more satiating to me, helping me stick to my calorie goals more easily.

I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, otherwise I'd probably incorporate more of those. As it stands I generally just skip sugary food so entirely, or limit them to rare special occassions. Again, not that sugary foods are necessarily "bad" but I know they drive my hunger making it harder for me to stick to calorie limits.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Also, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much mashed potato I can have! As long as it isn't 1 part potato to 1 part butter that is. I don't eat potatoes much, not my go to but I sometimes get a Gousto/Hello Fresh box with a recipe with mash and am always astonished at the volume of mash.

Also, when making cauliflower into mash, don't you have to boil it to 80s levels of mush and therefore lose all of the nutrients?

I am here in defense of the humble tatty!

I agree mashed potatoes are only "scary" because of all the butter, but I do like a cauliflower mash sometimes when I want lower calorie cauliflower that is other than roasted (all the other variations I adore are pretty high in calories). I have learned the hard way that boiling is a big no. The result is a watery grainy cauliflower "soup". Microwave is the way to go.

Huh... I tend to view potatoes as a butter delivery system. And butter is the only thing (well, that and bacon, sour cream, and cheddar cheese) that makes them palatable and provides the needed satiety so I can stop at a small serving of potatoes. I did the whole plain baked potato thing (or just a smidge of flavor butter) for many, many years. These days if I bother about potatoes I make sure there is a good tbsp of butter involved, and precious little actual potato, lol. Means I can eat a whole lot less and still feel full... But I'm not longer scared of butter :D

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Also, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much mashed potato I can have! As long as it isn't 1 part potato to 1 part butter that is. I don't eat potatoes much, not my go to but I sometimes get a Gousto/Hello Fresh box with a recipe with mash and am always astonished at the volume of mash.

I am here in defense of the humble tatty!

I agree mashed potatoes are only "scary" because of all the butter, but I do like a cauliflower mash sometimes when I want lower calorie cauliflower that is other than roasted (all the other variations I adore are pretty high in calories). I have learned the hard way that boiling is a big no. The result is a watery grainy cauliflower "soup". Microwave is the way to go.

Huh... I tend to view potatoes as a butter delivery system. And butter is the only thing (well, that and bacon, sour cream, and cheddar cheese) that makes them palatable and provides the needed satiety so I can stop at a small serving of potatoes. I did the whole plain baked potato thing (or just a smidge of flavor butter) for many, many years. These days if I bother about potatoes I make sure there is a good tbsp of butter involved, and precious little actual potato, lol. Means I can eat a whole lot less and still feel full... But I'm not longer scared of butter :D

I meant calorie-wise. Potatoes are not that calorific on their own. I'm personally not scared of butter and I never do "a smidge" if it makes the taste too different. I mean I can get away with a smidge when I make an omelette, but not some other dishes. Mashed potatoes definitely need more than a smidge. Sadly fat does not satisfy me, potatoes do. So when I decide on the amount of butter to add I try to balance it for taste. Some recipes do end up pretty high in calories because of that and I end up having to plan around them to fit my calories. I can do a little less butter in mashed potatoes but it doesn't work for braised cabbage (needs about 1/2 cup per head for the right taste and texture). I do understand what you mean though, I'm like that with burgers. I eat burgers because of the way the meat makes the bread taste, basically a bread delivery system.
  • dps2113
    dps2113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, eating smaller portions of calorie dense food doesn't work, because I will become hungry and more likely to binge. Therefore, I aim to eat food that both is tasty and filling, even if it takes some getting used to.

I like shirataki noodles instead of pasta, since pasta is basically a sauce (and sun-dried tomato and garlic) delivery system for me.

I also love Halo Top ice-cream instead of more calorific desserts and powdered peanut butter instead of the real deal. When you mix Halo Top chocolate with The Peanut Butter Company's vanilla powdered peanut butter, it tastes like the Baskin Robbin's chocolate peanut butter ice-cream!

Bagel thins are awesome with lox, goat cheese, capers, and onions. I can have all that for the same amount of calories as a plain bagel!

Instead of nachos, I roast a bunch of bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and squash and top them with guacamole, cheese, salsa, etc.

When I order pizza, I get thin crust, extra sauce and light cheese (and pineapple and jalapenos).

Also, not really a substitution for me since I hate mayo, but I love the flavored pouches of tuna. I pair the spicy Thai flavor with kimchi and the honey BBQ with pickles.
  • allyssabebe
    allyssabebe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with eating whatever you want! All in moderation right? But I understand your pain!

Instead of chips, I'll do pita chips or tortilla chips. If I want low carb, I will do carrots and cucumbers with hummus. Sometimes I like just roasting veggies and snacking on them in a bowl.

For chocolate, I've really loved skinny cow! I don't normally crave chocolate, but I know the dark dark chocolate is health for you and super rich that you can't eat too much!

And bacon, well that one we'll never be able to replace! Lol but switching to turkey bacon definitely helps cut back on the fat!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Not really. I don't do low fat or artificial sweeteners.
    I don't believe that that honey is any healthier than table sugar
    I don't believe that that whole grain is any healthier then white versions. (White is actually better for IBS)

I don't like potatoes, rice or pasta. I'm really picky with bread.
    I don't like ice cream, dark chocolate etc.
    I don't like greasy things- I'd never put butter or oil on anything (I dry roast veg)
    I don't like sweet drinks
    I like egg whites - but I value the fat and nutrients from the yolk, so I eat them.

I eat red meat, English bacon, sugar, milk chocolate, occasional pizza (not peperoni- bleh). I prefer cauliflower rice to real rice, I prefer full-fat greek yoghurt to cream, I prefer unsalted butter to spread, I much prefer courgettii to spaghetti. I just eat things I like.

I guess I eat pretty much primal, with the exception of sweet stuff like cake. I'm trying to cut the sweet stuff down as I'm hypoglycaemic- and the less I have , the less I want it. If anything my diet is too low on fat, which I need for good hormonal function. (possibly too low on protein too)
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Potato chips are a trigger for me, but over the last few months I've gotten used to enjoying exactly 28 grams of them when I have them. If it's a week when I don't buy a bag at the market I've found that a serving of bread and butter pickles is a nice stand in.
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wrharvill wrote: »
    Potato chips are a trigger for me, but over the last few months I've gotten used to enjoying exactly 28 grams of them when I have them. If it's a week when I don't buy a bag at the market I've found that a serving of bread and butter pickles is a nice stand in.

I'm right there with you! Potato chips and fries and mashed potato...all my weaknesses.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Quest bars instead of candy
    Flavored almonds (carefully measured), pop chips, or veggie straws instead of chips
    Enlightened ice cream instead of regular ice cream
    Veggie burgers and veggie chicken patties instead of Burger King
    Cocoa dusted almonds or flavored rice cakes/ rice rollers instead of cookies
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,425 Member
    Options
    I still eat most things except in moderation. I eat one ounce of chips but with a meal. I agree bacon isn't too high calorie to eat but i did buy turkey bacon, which isn't bad. Fortunately I would rather eat salty things than sweet but once in a while i want some. The Kashi dark chocolate/nut bar is delicious . My downfall is sausage! It's hard to eat just 1 or 2 but i have filled my plate up with side dishes (veggies)& was able to eat just 2