Gained weight after back surgery

Options
Just returning to MFP. I'm 5'3" and 158 lbs. I had back surgery last year at the age of 46. The weight I've gained isn't helping. I'm on my feet all day so by the time I get home my back hurts. I have a gym membership but I'm afraid to do anything other than walk. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Replies

• wendyjameson127
    Options
    It's so easy to put weight on when you become less active due to surgery and carrying the extra weight aggravates the situation, especially where having a bad back is concerned.....I know that from experience. I'm in a similar situation. I had back surgery in April 2011 but I started slowly putting weight on 12 months before that when I started suffering with sciatica. I'm not on my feet all day thankfully....I work behind a desk but it certainly doesn't help. New year and a new start has given me a kick up the proverbial backside to do something about it.

The last time I was successful in losing weight (prior to back problems) was about 10 years ago and I managed to keep the weight off. What I did then was take up swimming which is something you can do which doesn't put too much strain on your back i.e. low impact and it can be very relaxing. Luckily where I live there's a private pool we can hire so I can splash about for an hour without bothering anyone. That's what I'm going to start doing again and using this site looks as though it's going to be useful.
  • Shhaay
    Shhaay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome advise, I'm waiting for my surgeon to call me back to see if my insurance approved me for water therapy. I heard it works wonders.