Creating Endurance on Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here's another update. I am now able to do the following elliptical workout without stopping (though sometimes I pause a moment to drink water)

3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to warm up
    30 min on resistance 3 - moderate pace (working up a sweat.)
    3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to cool down.

Well, that was a few days ago. Yesterday I was able to keep going an extra minute on the cooldown. :)

Thank you all for your very helpful advise! Sadly I feel like I'll be set back, as I won't be able to get to the gym again until Sunday. :<

Not a set back at all..you'll be back Sunday with MORE endurance, betcha million bucks! Everyone needs a rest day, that includes you. And you've done FABULOUS btw! xo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,576 Member
    Options
    Okay, so unless you're job is really really sedentary, you don't HAVE to do 30 minutes of cardio starting out. I've written about this a few times, but the majority of trainers will have their clients do cardio to "burn fat" and the TRUTH is what you're doing is just burning calories. Some of it will be fat, but unless your glycogen stores are completely depleted, it's just a small percentage. And that small percentage isn't what's helping fat loss to happen. What helps fat loss to happen is a MODERATE and CONSISTENT calorie deficit.
    If walking gets your heart rate up and you can sustain it for 15-30 minutes without gasping for air, then that's fine. Cardio is for fitness and health and will help to attribute to a calorie deficit, but it's not the magic maker to burn fat. You burn your stored fat at rest contrary to popular belief.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Okay, so unless you're job is really really sedentary, you don't HAVE to do 30 minutes of cardio starting out. I've written about this a few times, but the majority of trainers will have their clients do cardio to "burn fat" and the TRUTH is what you're doing is just burning calories. Some of it will be fat, but unless your glycogen stores are completely depleted, it's just a small percentage. And that small percentage isn't what's helping fat loss to happen. What helps fat loss to happen is a MODERATE and CONSISTENT calorie deficit.
    If walking gets your heart rate up and you can sustain it for 15-30 minutes without gasping for air, then that's fine. Cardio is for fitness and health and will help to attribute to a calorie deficit, but it's not the magic maker to burn fat. You burn your stored fat at rest contrary to popular belief.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When the hypothetical zombie apocalypse comes (New Walking Dead season is on Netflix.) , I want to be able to outrun them zombies! I'm not doing the exercising to lose weight. I want to get fit and lose weight. When I was a kid, I loved to run. Then that stopped after I started gaining weight. Annnd my job IS very very sedentary. I'm at a desk and don't really have a chance to move. Because, despite the office claiming a 'teamwork' atmosphere, they leave me to do ALL of the front desk work. I hardly even get a chance to eat lunch every day (while the other person in my position gets an hour lunch when it's only supposed to be 30 min).
  • ninerbuff
    edited September 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When the hypothetical zombie apocalypse comes (New Walking Dead season is on Netflix.) , I want to be able to outrun them zombies! I'm not doing the exercising to lose weight. I want to get fit and lose weight. When I was a kid, I loved to run. Then that stopped after I started gaining weight. Annnd my job IS very very sedentary. I'm at a desk and don't really have a chance to move. Because, despite the office claiming a 'teamwork' atmosphere, they leave me to do ALL of the front desk work. I hardly even get a chance to eat lunch every day (while the other person in my position gets an hour lunch when it's only supposed to be 30 min).
    Okay so if RUNNING is what you want to do, then elliptical isn't what you should be doing. Start with a walking (even if it's on a treadmill) and then transition to faster walking, to eventual slow jog, to eventual fast jog, etc.
    And I think it's Rick. Not really, I think it's Abe.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stephkd7
    stephkd7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I got my first elliptical, I was 5'10" and somewhere between 270-280. The first workout my goal was 30 minutes. After 5 I was so out of breath and I felt like I was dying. The next day I did 15 on the lowest resistance. It was tough, but I did it. Within the first week I was doing 30 minutes on the lowest resistance. Then I gradually built up the resistance. I would just reduce your resistance and do what you feel comfortable with plus a little more. It's ok to be a little uncomfortable. You'll work up to the 60 pretty quick, and once you are easily completing your minute goal, increase the resistance.

My issue with the elliptical is that sometime between 30-40 minutes, my feet start getting tingly and numb, I guess from keeping them in one place. I'll stop and pick them up, twisting my ankle in circles, to get the blood going again, then get back to it. But because of that I've never really care for going longer than 45 minutes and typically I only do 30. But I could go much longer if it weren't for that issue. I've read all sorts of stuff and tried lost of different shoes and things, but it's just an issue.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    Okay so if RUNNING is what you want to do, then elliptical isn't what you should be doing. Start with a walking (even if it's on a treadmill) and then transition to faster walking, to eventual slow jog, to eventual fast jog, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The problem with that is that I have a really weak ankle. I twisted it a LOT when I was younger, and it's the foot I primarily [extremely] underpronate on. When I'm on a treadmill, I feel like I'm about to trip. I have done 15 minutes on the treadmill on incline 7 with an average speed of about 3.0. But as soon as I start to go into jogging mode, the ankle starts to feel like it might give way. Part of it is the uncertainty of working on a machine rather than solid ground, and the other part I think is just too much weight currently supporting the ankle. I had planned to move to the treadmill once I lost more weight.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that the treadmill is out because it's too high impact. Does that include walking?
  • RhapsodyWinters
    Options
    You mentioned that the treadmill is out because it's too high impact. Does that include walking?

I can, for the most part, walk on the treadmill. However, if I could just walk to get what I wanted, then I wouldn't even bother with a gym membership. I'd just walk around the neighborhood parks (especially since it's hard enough as it is getting my exercise and my dog's exercise in).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Endurance is something you can learn. When I first purchased my machine (Bowflex M5, so similar to an elliptical and a stair stepper combined) I could barely do 2 minutes on the thing on level 1 before I thought I was going to die. I even gave up for a month and came back to it. Thought I had wasted my money. What I found was if I did couple minutes, then got off and walked around, then did a couple more, I could get it done, it just took a bit longer overall. Over time (we're talking weeks) I got to the point I could do 5 minutes, then 10, then 15.. on and on and within a couple of months I could easily spend 30 minutes and eventually even an hour on the thing if I wanted. Over the next year I started dialing up the intensity, and now my standard workout is on level 16 (max) for 30 minutes steady state. It's a killer workout but it took a long time to work up to it. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The problem with that is that I have a really weak ankle. I twisted it a LOT when I was younger, and it's the foot I primarily [extremely] underpronate on. When I'm on a treadmill, I feel like I'm about to trip. I have done 15 minutes on the treadmill on incline 7 with an average speed of about 3.0. But as soon as I start to go into jogging mode, the ankle starts to feel like it might give way. Part of it is the uncertainty of working on a machine rather than solid ground, and the other part I think is just too much weight currently supporting the ankle. I had planned to move to the treadmill once I lost more weight.
    If the ankle is weak, then your trainer should be addressing the issue with exercises to strengthen it. Bosu ball work, calf work, plyometrics, etc. (which by the way increases your calorie burn too).
    Understand that weight loss is about CICO, so exercise doesn't have to play a big part. And that doing the elliptical, isn't doing much to help strengthen your ankle for running because it's not running. It's like riding a bike so you can become a good dancer. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you understand that to reach a goal, you do certain things to help you reach them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This does not answer your specific question but I personally HATE exercising, so if I try working out on a machine or method I don't enjoy I wont stick to it. An elliptical is not the only form of exercising that will get you to your goals. I think it is more important to find something you like, so you can stick with it.

I find any machines in the gym are not as challenging or scenic (ie mind numbingly boring) as walking outside, which can turn into jogging, and possibly running...which allows for progression.

However, if you do enjoy the elliptical and just cant stay on long, I would say the only way to get better is to keep at it. I know when I started working out I couldn't do more than 5 minutes before giving up and I just add a bit as I go.

good luck
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The elliptical was my chosen machine when I first started the gym a few months ago.
    Like you, I could not stay on it for very long even with no resistance.
    Just keep on at it and you will eventually reach that 5 minute, 10 minute etc goal. I now do 30 minutes on a high resistance.
  • alush08
    alush08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love elliptical training!! It's my favorite cardio. I was a lot like you when I first started after 5 minutes I felt like I was going to give out completely. I also have a bad right knee (dislocated 10 years ago)and a bad right ankle(broken twice sprained to many times to count). I use good supportive braces on both. I found that for me at least its mind over matter. When I feel weak I just tell myself 5 more minutes, I can do anything for 5 minutes. It was hard but it works for me. I got up to the 15 mark without feeling dead. Now I can do 45 minutes none stop, but at 20 or 25 minutes I'm still going 5 minutes at a time. Those smaller goals boost my confidence to continue. Good luck, listen to your body, but also realize that your mind is the most powerful tool you take to the gym.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    monohydrate creatine and beta alanine (sp?) are great for increasing endurance and improving recovery time. i see it when i do ellipticals
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    60 minutes is very ambitious for someone starting out. In fact 30 minutes is pushing it at that point. I would start with 15 minutes on lowest resistance and work up. The ones where I go I think are made by Cybex and are fairly easy to use. I worked up to 30 minutes and then I started turning up the resistance after I had my endurance.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nothing hypothetical about this and these are really documentaries on human behavior when we get down to it :p

When I first started tracking on MFP and getting back into shape I did most of my cardio work on the elliptical. I had a bad knee injury and didn't want to risk running before getting back to a healthy weight. Just keep pushing your limits, but keep track of your heart rate so you're not overdoing it. You'll get there, but you need to have patience and have a marathon mindset. You're making these changes for the rest of your life, not just until you lose the weight.

I'm stuck jockeying a desk as well (most of us are now). Do what you can at your desk - do squats, lunges, pushups, etc. when you can. I did and many others at the office have followed suit.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here's another update. I am now able to do the following elliptical workout without stopping (though sometimes I pause a moment to drink water)

3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to warm up
    30 min on resistance 3 - moderate pace (working up a sweat.)
    3 min on resistance 1 - slow pace to cool down.

Well, that was a few days ago. Yesterday I was able to keep going an extra minute on the cooldown. :)

Thank you all for your very helpful advise! Sadly I feel like I'll be set back, as I won't be able to get to the gym again until Sunday. :<

So you have already learned that by breaking up the routine into smaller chunks, you can increase the duration.

It can be challenging for a "one-off" session for a trainer to give you a comprehensive progressive starting routine. There is so much information, it can be difficult to determine how much detail to give a beginner. Sounds like the trainer gave you some "goal" guidelines, but maybe wasn't super clear on how to build up to those levels (not a criticism of the trainer--again, there's only so much you can talk about at once).

So you can break up your total cardio duration into different intensities and even different exercises, rather than trying to continuously push to extend the time of a "continuous" cardio workout. Do the continuous workout once or twice a week, but on the other cardio days, do a little more variety.

One routine I like for beginners is to alternate 1 min "harder" intervals with 1 min "recovery" intervals. In the beginning, the "hard" minutes don't have to be that hard, just maybe 2-3 levels above your "cruising" speed, with the recovery interval 1 level below your current continuous level. Do a 5-8 min warm up, 20 min of the interval workout, and 5-8 min cool down.

Incline walking is fine as well (and you can do the same type of workout). There is no need to try running at this point.