Not reaching calorie goal and not wanting to?

Options
So my goal is set at 1200cal per day,
I barely reach 1000 cal per day let only a net of more than 1200!
However I eat small meals throughout the day, lots of veggies and other nutritional foods, so I never feel hungry!
I find myself having eaten 950 cal, and having a net of sometime like 600 and it's 9pm. I dobt feel hungry and I'm scared to eat because I feel I don't require not will I use the food as I'm just sitting watching tv..

Is it a problem?

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a problem, at least it would be for myself if worked out with no refueling for my body, my body would rebel in a short time.

I've found that if I don't eat properly I don't feel hungry, I lose that natural body signal, so I eat at regular intervals and make sure I keep my body fueled properly for workouts.

It's not all about weightloss but about creating a healthy strong body to live in, least that's my motto in life and it seems to be working for me.:heart:
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think it's a problem-- your body needs a certain amount of fuel just like it needs sleep and needs to go to the bathroom, and needs to move.

I'm not sure why you're not hungry. Are you super distracted with other things (when my son plays video games he forgets he's hungry :) ) but sometimes I make myself eat just bc I know it's good for me.

Best :)

Debbie
  • schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    Hmm!

So maybe I'm thinking that ive forced myself to think I'm not hungry because I'm scared about gaining weight and I'm addicted to seeing te scale drop?

I drink about 2.5l of water and I'm paranoid about eating anythingthats not on program.

I don't really et dessert because I feel I don't deserve it..
    I even feel guilty about eating 3 squares of 85% cocoa organic chocolate today :#

I feel I don't need the food and I want to lose faster!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have lots of days when I don't eat all my calories. I don't eat any of my exercise calories either. I know what it says about your body going into starvation mode, etc. but if I am not hungry, I don't eat. I got the way I am from eating for reasons other than hunger. There are days when I am hungry more often than others. When that happens I add in a snack or something.
    I think you are doing the right thing, listening to your body.
  • schokofan
    Options
    woops double post, sorry!
  • schokofan
    Options
    BumP sorry, wanting more opinions!
  • jennehughes
    Options
    Hmm!

So maybe I'm thinking that ive forced myself to think I'm not hungry because I'm scared about gaining weight and I'm addicted to seeing te scale drop?

I drink about 2.5l of water and I'm paranoid about eating anythingthats not on program.

I don't really et dessert because I feel I don't deserve it..
    I even feel guilty about eating 3 squares of 85% cocoa organic chocolate today :#

I feel I don't need the food and I want to lose faster!

hmm.
    I have to admit, this thread has kinda worried me, because this sounds like disordered eating (fear of gaining weight, addicted to scale dropping, undeserving of food, food-related guilt...). Obviously, it's difficult to base it on such a small amount of information but my suggestion would be to play safe and talk to a professional about it.. I would definitely advise dealing with it/ stopping it in its tracks before it becomes an unhealthy obsession, affects your functioning or becomes a full-blown eating disorder and essentially ruins your life (sorry, I'm not trying to be dramatic but this is serious stuff.)
    Good luck and I'd be interested to know what you decide to do.
  • schokofan
    Options
    Thanks for your concern,
    I saw dietitian, about a month and a half ago now, she reccomened i eat 1500 cal a day, and continue with a healthy rate of loss at 1kg/month.

I hadnt eaten 1500 cal regularly for months prior to my visits, and althoughshe said I should eat more, I still haven't. 1kg a month is too slow for me, and I know she knows I think that..

I think eating 1500 now would make me put on weight, I just want to lose the weight so I can stop worrying and being consumed by this whole dieting thing. The quicker I loss the weightthe quicker it's all over..
  • schokofan
    Options
    bump..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    She's an expert. Listen to her. Try adding 200 calories a week until you get back to 1500. Eat more calorie dense food like cheese, nuts, avocado. Being that afraid to gain is not a good sign. It could indicate some serious issues (the A word). You need to adjust the way you view dieting. If it's that bad that you want to get it over with quickly, you'll probably just gain everything back when you are done. "Dieting" is really about learning a healthy way to live, for the rest of your life. You learn what is healthy, and what isn't. You learn how to health-fully restrict calories to get weight loss, then you learn how to maintain your weight while still be healthy.
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree with everything Rachel said. I wouldn't do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to do for the rest of my life. Dieting doesn't mean eating fewer calories while you lose weight, then it's "over" and you can go back to eating the way you used to eat. It's a lifestyle change that in order to maintain for the rest of your life, needs to be realistic and healthy.

Do you eat a lot of fat free or low fat food? I would try switching to fuller fat items (i.e. full fat cheese, 1% or 2% milk instead of skim, etc). That way you will consume more calories while not really eating more volume, per se. You could also try using some calories on liquid, like milk (I love regular Silk chocolate soy milk!) or juice.

Remember, weight loss journeys are not a race. The slower you take it off, the easier it will be to keep off. Good luck!
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second the last reply that mentioned staying away from the low fat items. Do you eat protein at every small meal? If you are just filling up on veggies you will never hit your calorie goal. The starvation thing is true - I caoch people at my gym and the ones that are successful hit their calorie goal pretty much every day. The ones that struggled with the loss either ate way over calories or way under. I did a nine week challenge and logged my food through the entire thing. I was always within 100 calories of the 1200 cal goal. I lost 25 pounds. Your dietician is probably right - 1200 is not the magic number for everyone.
  • schokofan
    Options
    I do eat lots of low fat type foods.

But recently I've been choosing higher fat content, over high carb content. I also snack on protein bars, before and after workouts, and eat lean meats like chicken and turkey. I'm usually pretty good wit hitting my protein target.

I don't eat red meat much though, so instead Ill just have a steamed veggie wrap, but Im getting soooo bored of it. Its boring and tastes bland.

I feel like this is a lifestyle I could maintain, I also don't see this as a diet, but while Im still in a weight loss stage, I dont think I really require the treats in moderation.