Mexican Restaurant Hacks

Options
Sooo, I'm going to a Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight and I need your tips and tricks to survive this meal without grossly disappointing myself. As we all know, Mexican food is amazing cheese, guac and margaritas for the win! What are some ways you guys navigate through the meals? Drinks and chips and salsa

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Fun!
    1. Margarita - have one! I like them 1/3 tequila, 1/3 lime juice, 1/3 contreau. I can taste "agave nectar" a mile away and really don't like it, but that's just me. Mixing to my pref is 200 kcal (less sugar than with a mix or agave).
    2. chips & salsa - enjoy them! I eat 3 chips. It's enough to get a taste & enjoy the salsa and doesn't fill you up before your meal arrives. Honestly, if I'm enjoying the company, I will lose track of how many I've had if I eat more than three, so I just stop at 3. If I want more after my meal, I'll have more then.
    3. Main - Almost all Mexican places have some sort of salad with grilled chicken, if you like that. Some places I do, some places I don't. Just depends on how they do salad. (Skip dressing & use salsa if you really can't enjoy it dry.) Fajitas can be pretty high protein, yummy and easy (relatively) to estimate for logging. Some places use A LOT of oil on the fajitas, so if they offer a low oil version that can help. Otherwise just observe carefully to log accurately.

Enjoy!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick with water when I go out - it's literally free (no money or calories). I'm picky and don't like avocado, I leave the guacamole for everyone else to eat. I can certainly eat the basket of chips that is meant for the entire table to share, so I'll take a handful and put them on my plate, eating only those. If I want more, no worries, my super delicious meal is on its way. I've been getting street tacos at my nearby Mexican restaurant, soft shells, pick the protein. They don't come with much cheese, so that's not a worry. I do love cheese, so sometimes I'll get a burrito that has quite a bit. I'm there to enjoy the meal and that's what I'm gonna do!
  • lucyleigh4
    lucyleigh4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find that eating just a few chips works for me. I break the chips smaller so it seems like I am really having more than I am. Then, I order something called chicken veggies. It is basically grilled chicken with lots of grilled veggies with a litte bit of cheese. Comes with a salad on the side. I bet even if the restaurant didn't have that on the menu, they would be willing to make it. Have fun!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    ^^^lol. Like!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas generally have fewer calories than flour tortillas, so if you are given the option with your meal then that's a good choice. I personally think they taste better as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I usually just enjoy myself. We don't really eat out all that often so when we do I just enjoy...in the grand scheme of things it's really no biggie.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow - That dish looks awesome.. I am drooling over here and it's only 9am, lol!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    skip the chips and salsa. It amounts to a HUGE amount of calories before your meal even comes. For drinks i'd go with a diet soda. If you must drink alcohol, they can usually make a "light" margarita.

For food your best bet is going to be something you can make yourself. For this reason, i almost always suggest fajitas. Whether you eat chicken, beef, shrimp, etc. You can easily build your own tacos with lower amounts of cheese, sauces, and guac. You control what goes in there. Fill up with meats/veggies, then add beans (request black beans if you can), rice, fresh pico, a squeeze of lime, you got this!

Here's my fajita dish i normally get:
    IMG_0701_zpsuncdcz0z.jpg

edit: P.S. YES, ask for lite oil or oil free. Depending on where you go, some places use a nasty amount of oil to cook their foods.

Cauliflower and broccoli?! What kind of Mexican restaruant is that?!

But I agree with everything you said. Although last time I went for Mexican I did have chips. But, I put 5 on my plate, and broke each chip into 4ths. Then ate those one at a time and slowly. I was able to limit myself to 7 chips that day. Considering my tendency to eat an entire basket, I'd consider that a win.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    byoung8433 wrote: »
    Sooo, I'm going to a Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight and I need your tips and tricks to survive this meal without grossly disappointing myself. As we all know, Mexican food is amazing cheese, guac and margaritas for the win! What are some ways you guys navigate through the meals? Drinks and chips and salsa

I order steak and chicken fajitas and I don't eat them in a tortilla, I just eat it as a sort of stir fry. I ask for veggies instead of rice and beans and I haven't had anyone say anything. I still eat the guac, sour cream and a little salsa. No chips. It's like a chipoltle bowl times 10.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    When you say Mexican restaurant are we talking a chain restaurant like Chevy's or One the Border? Or are we talking authentic/family owned? Because if that's the case I refuse to restrain myself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    skip the chips and salsa. It amounts to a HUGE amount of calories before your meal even comes. For drinks i'd go with a diet soda. If you must drink alcohol, they can usually make a "light" margarita.

For food your best bet is going to be something you can make yourself. For this reason, i almost always suggest fajitas. Whether you eat chicken, beef, shrimp, etc. You can easily build your own tacos with lower amounts of cheese, sauces, and guac. You control what goes in there. Fill up with meats/veggies, then add beans (request black beans if you can), rice, fresh pico, a squeeze of lime, you got this!

IMG_0701_zpsuncdcz0z.jpg

edit: P.S. YES, ask for lite oil or oil free. Depending on where you go, some places use a nasty amount of oil to cook their foods.

But I agree with everything you said. Although last time I went for Mexican I did have chips. But, I put 5 on my plate, and broke each chip into 4ths. Then ate those one at a time and slowly. I was able to limit myself to 7 chips that day. Considering my tendency to eat an entire basket, I'd consider that a win.

it's a locally owned mexican restaurant in the south of Texas. It's pretty authentic. I happen to be vegetarian, and they offered to whip me up some fajitas. ;)
  • auddii
    Options

IMG_0701_zpsuncdcz0z.jpg

it's a locally owned mexican restaurant in the south of Texas. It's pretty authentic. I happen to be vegetarian, and they offered to whip me up some fajitas. ;)

That's pretty awesome. I see portobello ones a lot, but that's not something I've seen (and I'm in Houston).
  • fmpro
    fmpro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my weakness! Count your chips and limit yourself to a reasonable serving size. As mentioned, fajitas are always a good choice since you are able to pick and choose your ingredients. Also, order corn tortillas instead of flour, as they are typically lower in calories. I usually get away with 500 to 800 calories for a Mexican meal.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

IMG_0701_zpsuncdcz0z.jpg

That's pretty awesome. I see portobello ones a lot, but that's not something I've seen (and I'm in Houston).

go to mammacita's off of 290 near highway 6. They also have some bad *kitten* fajitas and food. They also have like 6 strictly vegetarian items on their menu. :)

p.s. it's no pappasitos or anything, but it's cheap, tasty, and they have sooo many options. They also have a drink called the "blue spider".... good god...
  • auddii
    Options

IMG_0701_zpsuncdcz0z.jpg

go to mammacita's off of 290 near highway 6. They also have some bad *kitten* fajitas and food. They also have like 6 strictly vegetarian items on their menu. :)

Ooh, I'll definitely do that. We're headed up that way tomorrow for game day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like the taco salads with just salsa as dressing but those tortilla bowls can be evil.

Honestly though, in most places, 3 tacos will be reasonable - like 600-800 calories. But you got to skip the sides. I like fajitas too but you can easily have 200 hidden calories in oil in there.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    taco salad, don't eat the shell or fajitas and use salsa for dressing. I usually get fajitas. Ask for low oil. I don't eat the tortillas or smuggle in a couple low carb ones! LOL. I skip the rice and beans usually. I have had a couple of those skinny margaritas, they are ok.The mix in a regular one has lot calories. Also can have like a Mexican bloody mary... if you don't mind the spicy tomato mix...with tequila, cilantro... You will probably get more salt than usual as in most eating out. Just drink lot water next day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Barbacoa tacos are my favorite...

slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef-tacos7-srgb..jpg

Also, authentic Mexican cuisine has numerous healthy options...smothering everything in gallons of melted cheese is totally an American thing.