Weight Loss and Loose Skin

Options
Does anyone think about loose skin around their body when trying to lose weight? This has been on my mind for a bit and would really love to know if anyone has avoided it especially when having to lose a more than 50 pounds of weight. I am 5'4, started at 209 lbs but now down to 189 lbs. I lost the weight in the past 3 months and still want to lose at least 40 more pounds.

Could really use your input. I feel so good to have dropped the weight but I don't want to look worse then when I started.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The propensity to end up with loose skin after weight loss relies on a variety of factors.
    • Age - The younger you are the more elastic your skin.
    • How fast you lost the weight - it takes time for your skin to contract. So, the more slowly you lose the weight the less loose skin you will have when you reach your goal weight.
    • Genetics - this is completely out of our control, unfortunately.
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're young and loose skin might not happen. I've seen before and afters of younger people who've lost great amounts of weight who have none. I've seen before and afters of younger people who do have loose skin. I think a lot comes down to genetics. Also remember it can take up to two years for your skin to tighten up if you're going to be prone to it being loose.

The thing is... do you really think that loose skin would look worse than being fat? As someone older who does have loose skin (a lot of it, probably far more than you'd have), I can tell you that I like looking in the mirror and seeing my loose skin on a thin, fit body far more than I liked looking at my fat.

Lastly, loose skin never was a risk factor for heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, or cancer.

In short, I never gave loose skin a moment's thought.

I don't know if it would look worse on me but I have been big for so long that having loose skin would feel like another thing I might be self conscious about. Yes, I do understand the benefits of getting healthier, that is mainly why I decided on this lifestyle change. Still, it doesn't erase the fact that I am human and worry about things. No matter how insignificant they may be.

I am pretty much just asking in case anyone had successful advice they could share on how to prevent that from happening.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs that I carried for over 15 years. I have loose skin. Mostly in my midsection. I'm also 47 and didn't start my weight loss journey until I was almost 46 so I expected it to an extent. Something that did help though was exfoliation and hydration for me. I exfoliate daily those areas with loose skin, and I make damn sure to stay perfectly hydrated at all times. That means drinking up to a gallon of water a day. It's helped, but I will likely always have loose skin. Jury is still out on how much of it I'll have after a couple more years, but if you had a lot of weight to lose, and you carried it for a very long time then I'd say you'll probably have some. How much depends on you, your routine, how fast you lose it, your age, etc. etc. So at the start of your journey adopt a good hydration habit (drink lots of water, get rid of soda in your diet), exfoliate daily when showering, and try not to lose more than 2lb/week at the maximum. After you hit your goal give it 2 more years before making any judgements, it can take a lot of time for your skin to adjust. Even most plastic surgeons won't remove lose skin unless you've hit a healthy BMI and have kept it off for at least six months to a year because they know some of it will go away on its own. Building muscle also helps, so when you hit your goal weight switch to re-composition mode and hang in there for at least a year. You'll be surprised at the difference.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have been losing slowly like a pound per week average or 4 pounds per month. I have some sagging below my belly that is not to bad yet. My only worry is if those creases get skin irritation I have seen and heard about.. yikes. that would suck balls... so I drink tons of water and go slow slow on the loss... good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds. My belly looks awful so you won't see me in a bikini ever, but I still look way better than I used to when I was obese (I also have loose skin inside my thighs and a bit under my arms, which I hate, but what can you do).

But there's nothing you can do to prevent it. Exercise will only help as much as you'll have some muscle stretching the skin a little, but it really won't impact your skin at all, and losing slow or fast won't change a thing as the skin can take years to bounce back (I'm 38, lost the weight 2 years ago, still waiting for that to happen, FWIW).
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm more than 20 years older than you, have lost 50 pounds from my top weight, and don't have any loose skin. I lose slowly and do cardio and strength training.

Regardless, loose skin is the lesser issue. I think worrying about loose skin is a Sabotaging Thought the part of us who wants to stay fat puts in our heads.

I actually thought of the sabotage thing and even if I do end up with saggy skin I will not let it deter me from getting healthier. I'm definitely in a mindset now that health comes before any sort of vanity. And yes, I will go slow. 1-2 pounds a week is all I am trying to achieve at the moment. I do some HIIT exercises 3-4 times a week but I need to step up my strength training game.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds and still have around 115 more to lose. I have loose skin already - on my inner thighs, stomach and quite a bit in my armpits/around my boobs. Obviously I am still very overweight and have a lot of fat left as well, but the skin is definitely loose. I have lost weight quickly, about seven months. If my skin is going to shrink back it will whether I lose slowly or not - the time will pass regardless. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I imagine I'll end up with heaps of it by the end. That's okay. I'm 28 but I've been overweight and obese my entire life. My skin didn't really stand a chance.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options

The best advice then is to probably lose weight slowly and learn a new lifestyle so that you're not yo-yo dieting and stressing your skin over and over. Keep your new shape when you get there. Also exercise, especially weight lifting, will help.

Yes, 1-2 pounds a week is my short term goal. I do exercise and get some HIIT workouts in but I definitely need to look up more of the weight lifting.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I had initially lost 70 pounds (up 40, chipping my way back down)... and I had some loose skin on my belly. Not a whole lot, but I noticed.
    After a year of being at the lower weight, I noticed the skin wasn't as bad as it initially had been. If I kept it off for another year, I'm sure it would have been reduced even more.

Lose slow, keep yourself hydrated and give it time
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    does anyone suggest any type of powder in the belly crease to avoid irritation?
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I've lost 110 pounds and still have around 115 more to lose. I have loose skin already - on my inner thighs, stomach and quite a bit in my armpits/around my boobs. Obviously I am still very overweight and have a lot of fat left as well, but the skin is definitely loose. I have lost weight quickly, about seven months. If my skin is going to shrink back it will whether I lose slowly or not - the time will pass regardless. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I imagine I'll end up with heaps of it by the end. That's okay. I'm 28 but I've been overweight and obese my entire life. My skin didn't really stand a chance.

You are a machine! And I get that this journey could come with that and I am ready to face it. Targeting to lose just 1-2 pounds a week and nothing more. Hopefully that helps.
  • crystalmorrison378
    Options
    I'm 35 years old and I have lost 56lbs with 44 still to go. I'm already seeing loose skin as well, mostly on my upper arms and my belly (wich I expected because I've given birth to 4 kids) and just like you I'm afraid that when I reach my goal weight I won't like what I see. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there, but people have been telling me how fantastic I look already so I'm pretty thrilled about that.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    After gaining weight and growing a person 3 times I am happy to take my weight loss slowly. My skin will thank me for thinking about it- for once in my life.

Slow loss, muscle gain, hydration and genetics.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs that I carried for over 15 years. I have loose skin. Mostly in my midsection. I'm also 47 and didn't start my weight loss journey until I was almost 46 so I expected it to an extent. Something that did help though was exfoliation and hydration for me. I exfoliate daily those areas with loose skin, and I make damn sure to stay perfectly hydrated at all times. That means drinking up to a gallon of water a day. It's helped, but I will likely always have loose skin. Jury is still out on how much of it I'll have after a couple more years, but if you had a lot of weight to lose, and you carried it for a very long time then I'd say you'll probably have some. How much depends on you, your routine, how fast you lose it, your age, etc. etc. So at the start of your journey adopt a good hydration habit (drink lots of water, get rid of soda in your diet), exfoliate daily when showering, and try not to lose more than 2lb/week at the maximum. After you hit your goal give it 2 more years before making any judgements, it can take a lot of time for your skin to adjust. Even most plastic surgeons won't remove lose skin unless you've hit a healthy BMI and have kept it off for at least six months to a year because they know some of it will go away on its own. Building muscle also helps, so when you hit your goal weight switch to re-composition mode and hang in there for at least a year. You'll be surprised at the difference.

I have never though about exfoliating but its worth a shot. I'm not too worried about staying hydrated as I pretty much only drink water. I have the occasional coffee or tea in just a tall starbucks size. What I am currently doing is applying vitamin e oil after my showers. I use it on my belly and my arm flab to hopefully help out.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    Ok, I can't believe I'm posting this - but I wanted to show you what I'm talking about. You're young, your skin is elastic. The faster you lose weight, the more skin you will see, at least initially. Chances are, whatever you encounter will be temporary. I'm 42, I lost 100 pounds relatively fast. I have "loose" skin on my legs and stomach. I'm not too worried - at least I think I can fill it in with muscle. The exception might be my stomach - but that skin has been there since my pregnancy 20 years ago...

You look amazing!!! Yes the stomach is slightly loose but after your midsection I went straight to look at the amazing arms you got. If I can look half as good as you after getting to my goal weight then I think I am okay with that.

Thank you for sharing. :)
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much - I'm probably twice your age and lost twice as much weight as you have to lose... so I'm thinking you won't even have a problem. Don't worry, you'll do great!