a rice diet? too many carbs or a good idea?

Options
Want to have a rice only diet. Ie. Cup of rice for lunch, cup of rice for dinner with veges like broccoli and carrots, and fruit and pickles for snacks.
Supposedly rice fills you up fast?
Is it too many carbs? Im concerned it will turn to fat because of excessive carbs, because my partner works our at the gym and eats a lot of rice for muscle gain.

My cousin moved to korea and said thats all she eats now and shes lost weight?

My form of protein would be lentils as im struggling to eat meat these days, and i was going ro add kidney beans to my meals for more nutrients. I dont like brown rice as much but was thinking white rice for lunch and brown for dinmer?
What do you think?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    combine it with various beans and you've got a good base for building meals from. You want variety in your diet so you cover the vitamins and minerals found in various foods
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hmm! never heard of a rice diet.. white rice probably isn't a good idea for a rice diet, but brown rice probably isn't a bad idea! i heard of this story where this man lost 60 pounds from eating just potatoes! :)
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hmm! never heard of a rice diet.. white rice probably isn't a good idea for a rice diet, but brown rice probably isn't a bad idea! i heard of this story where this man lost 60 pounds from eating just potatoes! :)
  • wenlot7
    wenlot7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The one problem I see with this diet is your protein intake, unless you have some protein supplement you are taking.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Rice is a grain so it is healthy, it is all natural as long as it is whole wheat. I couldn't live on just rice thou. LOL
  • vintagefool
    Options
    I like how Koreans lay out their meals (at least according to what my BF has said, lol) - they'd have small amounts of meat paired with banchan (kimchi, other pickled veggies, cucumber salads, etc.) and a small bowl of rice. Sounds perfectly balanced and delicious! A rice only diet though? Sounds like - first of all, deprivation - and second of all, BORING :frown: Rice is a great, filling accompiment to veggies and lean proteins but I definitely wouldn't want to eat it by itself for most of my meals. Sounds like it would be setting yourself up for a binge to me :flowerforyou:
  • fatallybroken
    fatallybroken Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My form of protein would be lentils, as i am trying to avoid meat as lately it has been maming me feel ill.
    I was eating white rice but am thinking of changing to brown, and i add kidney beans to my meals.

Would this be better?
  • skinnimini16
    Options
    yes that would make your rice diet a healthy choice:) Good luck!!!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I agree about the beans -- so many out there to try, and they go great with rice! And I'd definitely do long grain brown. Yummier anyway. :D
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I already know you read my post on carbs, that’s how I met you haha. I don’t think the “rice diet” is the way to go. I find out fat’s fill you up more than carbs when my diet is high in fat I am usually under my calorie goal by 600 or so. Ask yourself this “Can I sustain the rice diet the rest of my life?” If you can’t, ditch it. I think carbs are the culprit to many health problems people face to day.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend rice. It's pretty high in carb and empty in other areas. Try quinoa instead. It is really nutritious and high in protein :) Not to mention yummy!
  • hankdog77
    hankdog77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rice is a grain so it is healthy, it is all natural as long as it is whole wheat. I couldn't live on just rice thou. LOL

Rice is actually a grass, which is why rice flour is suitable for those with celiac disease.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Nah it wouldn't work. Look at all the obese sick Asian cultures not getting enough protein.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pandorian wrote: »
    combine it with various beans and you've got a good base for building meals from. You want variety in your diet so you cover the vitamins and minerals found in various foods

This^

The protein in rice is not a complete protein. You need all the building blocks (amino acids) not just some of them.

Beans & rice are complete. If you want eliminate meat form your diet fine. But take the time to figure out the nutrition. Vegetarians eat a varied diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hankdog77 wrote: »

Rice is actually a grass, which is why rice flour is suitable for those with celiac disease.

I'm sure OP has been waiting 5 years to learn that!

;-)

(Zombie thread. Funny one to reanimate.)
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Please just do some research in the arsenic levels in rice. I certainly wouldn't recommend eating it 3 times a day every day. Eating any food in that quantity is not good.
    It's now recommended that you don't eat rice more than 3 max 4 times of a week because of the levels of aresnic found in it.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm319870.htm

https://chriskresser.com/arsenic-in-rice-how-concerned-should-you-be/
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What's up with all the necros?
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Aaaaand I just realised this thread is nearly 5 years old.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yuk. I can't think of too many things less appetizing than a bowl of white rice. Not a good idea in my world.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    What's up with all the necros?

Well, on the one hand, I guess it could be considered "better" than creating new threads?

Not that that necessarily applies to this particular thread, but in general?