Cellulite reduce advice?

Options
Hi all,

As embarrassing as this is, I need help. I've lost about 25 pounds which has caused some cellulite with my thighs and arms. What are some exercise you would recommend to help reduce this? I do run a lot and lift weights.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's not embarrassing. So many women have cellulite, even those who are quite slim.

Usually LOSING weight doesn't create cellulite though. Are you sure you don't mean loose skin?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You may have loose fat and skin, not cellulite. You may have cellulite. Are you at goal weight?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Maybe the cellulite looks different or more noticeable at the moment though. That can be the case for me as well. My cellulite actually looked worse at 128 lbs than it does now at 140 lbs so maybe I'll retract what I said above.

I find that I go through stages with weight loss. Sometimes before a big loss my skin gets weird and melty looking, when I'm carrying extra water-though I look more bloated, the skin looks tighter. Just keep doing what you're doing. There are no specific exercises you can do to reduce cellulite.
  • ashliwatts1
    ashliwatts1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I found this body scrub on Pinterest. I can't remember exactly but I believe it's coffee grounds mixed with coconut oil. I would put it on with a scrub brush and brush around for a couple of minutes. It helped a little bit there really is no 'cure' for cellulite. Either way it makes your skin really soft ☺️ good luck!
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Collagen is supposed to help - I add it to my oatmeal (for other reasons), and I think I can see a difference after a few weeks.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Collagen is supposed to help - I add it to my oatmeal (for other reasons), and I think I can see a difference after a few weeks.

Thank you so much! :-)
  • Monroe121
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have pinterest. I'll look for it.
    I found this body scrub on Pinterest. I can't remember exactly but I believe it's coffee grounds mixed with coconut oil. I would put it on with a scrub brush and brush around for a couple of minutes. It helped a little bit there really is no 'cure' for cellulite. Either way it makes your skin really soft ☺️ good luck!

• Monroe121
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Maybe the cellulite looks different or more noticeable at the moment though. That can be the case for me as well. My cellulite actually looked worse at 128 lbs than it does now at 140 lbs so maybe I'll retract what I said above.

I find that I go through stages with weight loss. Sometimes before a big loss my skin gets weird and melty looking, when I'm carrying extra water-though I look more bloated, the skin looks tighter. Just keep doing what you're doing. There are no specific exercises you can do to reduce cellulite.

Thank you so much. I believe I may have to tone my legs up! I was heavy and now I'm a lighter. I was told to run more. What do you think about that?
  • Monroe121
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    You may have loose fat and skin, not cellulite. You may have cellulite. Are you at goal weight?

I'm not at my goal weight yet. I still have 25 lbs left. I've been focusing on toning as well.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Supposedly body brushing helps but I think that might be an urban myth as I understood that once you have the type of fat cells that show as cellulite it's not possible to get rid of them, only to shrink them in size by losing fat. Some people also suggest massage and drinking lots of water to help with the appearance of the cellulite.

Running would help with overall weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet which in turn I guess would reduce the size of the fat cells so maybe therefore improve the appearance of the cellulite?

Getting a tan (fake or otherwise), if you're pale, might make you feel better about the appearance of your skin.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You should try to build up the muscles in your legs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Its not embarrassing at all.. I was covered in it and not just legs and glutes..

I am gonna tell you based on experience running and lifting weights, time and patience and this stuff will dissipate. I still have a little, but I really have to pinch the skin and fat layering to see any of it, and that might just be normal fat layers now.

Keep losing fat and integrate some lower leg cardio like intense walking, running and do strength training..
  • saratropolis
    saratropolis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your weightloss. 25 lbs is awesome!
    My cellulite has reduced significantly over the past 3 months as I've focused more on weight training (I even reduced my cardio so I had more time for resistance/weight training). I thought that once you have cellulite, you can't really get rid of it. I even stopped wearing shorts and short dresses because I was too embarrassed. I was wrong though. Since I've focused on weight training (including a lot of lunges, seated leg curls, leg extensions, donkey kicks, etc.), my cellulite has reduced so much! I'm back to wearing my shorts without feeling as self conscious. Everyone is different though so there may be some trial and error, but in my experience, it takes me a few months to see changes in my body when I change my routine. I also started taking BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) everyday since June. I just heard last week that it also helps with cellulite by helping preserve the muscle while you're losing fat. I don't know whether that is accurate, but it may have been a factor as well.
    I'm happy to send you the workouts that I use (just found them on Pinterest) and info on the BCAAs if you're interested. Whatever method you choose, just try to give it at least 2-3 months to see what works for your body!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not embarrassing. I definitely had quite a bit of cellulite before I lost the weight (42 lbs). My cellulite on my legs and butt went away after losing weight, but I didn't start running until 2 months into my weight loss and even then, it was just once a week. I think running alone tends to create more loose skin so strength training in addition to running should help. Building muscles in your legs and glutes will help to fill out the areas in a healthy way. Also, it will help your running!! ;) I also run a lot now and I do strength training 3 to 4 times per week. Also, make sure you are moisturizing those areas. I use a lotion with collegen and elastin. I had some bit of loose skin on my stomach after my weight loss, and slowly but surely, my skin is tightening up. Now, my skin only appears loose if I bend over. I'm hoping it will continue to tighten. But, my legs look better than ever!! LOL The cellulite there is all gone!! :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    The common belief is that cellulite is caused by the fat cells themselves, it's not. It's caused by the connective tissue between the fat cells that don't have as much flexibility and causes the fat cells to pucker upwards. The only way to reduce the appearance of cellulite is to: 1. gain muscle, thus creating internal pressure against the overlying skin and basically squashing the fat cells down, 2. loose as much fat as possible, thus reducing the puckering because the fat cells shrink in size or 3. allow the surrounding skin to tighten back up over time or some combination of the above. Staying hydrated helps as the moisture retained in the cells will again create internal pressure and plump the skin cells smoothing things out a little. Once cellulite is there, there is no getting rid of it, only ways to reduce the appearance.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Monroe121 wrote: »

Thank you so much. I believe I may have to tone my legs up! I was heavy and now I'm a lighter. I was told to run more. What do you think about that?

No. Don't run more. Lift more.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Monroe121 wrote: »

No.. run some but lift heavy and often.