Weight Loss and Loose Skin

Options
2»

Replies

• Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    does anyone suggest any type of powder in the belly crease to avoid irritation?

i have a saggy belly and when i get an irritation, i use diaper rash medicine. and when i know i'm going to be hot and sweaty, i use it as a preventative. it works!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think about loose skin around their body when trying to lose weight? This has been on my mind for a bit and would really love to know if anyone has avoided it especially when having to lose a more than 50 pounds of weight. I am 5'4, started at 209 lbs but now down to 189 lbs. I lost the weight in the past 3 months and still want to lose at least 40 more pounds.

Could really use your input. I feel so good to have dropped the weight but I don't want to look worse then when I started.

You won't possibly look worse at 150 than you did at 209. You are young and probably have nothing to worry about. If you could KNOW that you were going to have loose skin, would you choose to keep the extra weight instead? I hope not, sweetie, so there's no need to stress about it before it happens. Either it will or it won't and you won't know until you get there. If you do, it will likely go away after several months. Good luck to you.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    Ok, I can't believe I'm posting this - but I wanted to show you what I'm talking about. You're young, your skin is elastic. The faster you lose weight, the more skin you will see, at least initially. Chances are, whatever you encounter will be temporary. I'm 42, I lost 100 pounds relatively fast. I have "loose" skin on my legs and stomach. I'm not too worried - at least I think I can fill it in with muscle. The exception might be my stomach - but that skin has been there since my pregnancy 20 years ago... 81f32qgf9x6u.jpg

I am dead jealous of your arms!!! You look amazing.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have never though about exfoliating but its worth a shot. I'm not too worried about staying hydrated as I pretty much only drink water. I have the occasional coffee or tea in just a tall starbucks size. What I am currently doing is applying vitamin e oil after my showers. I use it on my belly and my arm flab to hopefully help out.

I see no reason not to continue using the Vit E lotion/oil, but the exfoliation over time will also help. Keep in mind, it'll take a long time but if you have a lot of loose skin it's going to take years anyway, if you exfoliate for those years you'll be better off in the end. It seems to have made a huge difference to me, and I've been doing it for over a year. I simply use scrubby sponges/loofahs I picked up on Amazon.

• BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I found a good book on this subject on Kindle
    "Firm Loose Skin" by Melinda Majors - Amazon
    She gives some hints on what you can do if you don't want to go the surgery route. She lost a lot of weight herself.
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Does anyone think about loose skin around their body when trying to lose weight? This has been on my mind for a bit and would really love to know if anyone has avoided it especially when having to lose a more than 50 pounds of weight. I am 5'4, started at 209 lbs but now down to 189 lbs. I lost the weight in the past 3 months and still want to lose at least 40 more pounds.

Could really use your input. I feel so good to have dropped the weight but I don't want to look worse then when I started.

You won't possibly look worse at 150 than you did at 209. You are young and probably have nothing to worry about. If you could KNOW that you were going to have loose skin, would you choose to keep the extra weight instead? I hope not, sweetie, so there's no need to stress about it before it happens. Either it will or it won't and you won't know until you get there. If you do, it will likely go away after several months. Good luck to you.

No even if I knew the loose skin would be there I know my health is much more important.
  • lenacrigger
    lenacrigger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nicole, That has been a fear of mine as well. "What happens if I do manage to actually lose weight and I end up with a bunch of extra skin?" Me, Personally, I do not plan on getting "Thin" but I am focusing more on "Healthy" and my goal is 220lbs and a pants size 16 (Currently 320lbs and a size 20).

Keep good thoughts in your head about losing the skin and even if you don't, you will still be beautiful outside as well as inside and you will be able to do more and feel better about yourself.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I worries about loose skin a lot, and for a few months, I was a bit horrified, but the loose skin on my inner thighs has snapped back a lot over the last six months and isn't really noticeable much, but I think running helped with that a lot.

Don't lose too fast and some may well snap back. I'm a lot older than you, so you have youth on your side. My stomach has suffered a bit and my bingo wings have reduced a lot recently, but I hid my upper arms for about six months.

If I were to take the fat over the loose skin, I'd be miserable in tight fat skin, but now, I can look pretty good in slightly loose skin in some places.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    Nicole, That has been a fear of mine as well. "What happens if I do manage to actually lose weight and I end up with a bunch of extra skin?" Me, Personally, I do not plan on getting "Thin" but I am focusing more on "Healthy" and my goal is 220lbs and a pants size 16 (Currently 320lbs and a size 20).

Keep good thoughts in your head about losing the skin and even if you don't, you will still be beautiful outside as well as inside and you will be able to do more and feel better about yourself.

Health is my goal too. I want to be stronger and fitter to do all the fun activities like hiking, biking, swimming, etc. So yeah, taking everyone's input into consideration, lose the weight slowly, add strength training, keep hydrated, exfoliate and lotion up.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    I worries about loose skin a lot, and for a few months, I was a bit horrified, but the loose skin on my inner thighs has snapped back a lot over the last six months and isn't really noticeable much, but I think running helped with that a lot.

Don't lose too fast and some may well snap back. I'm a lot older than you, so you have youth on your side. My stomach has suffered a bit and my bingo wings have reduced a lot recently, but I hid my upper arms for about six months.

If I were to take the fat over the loose skin, I'd be miserable in tight fat skin, but now, I can look pretty good in slightly loose skin in some places.

I am 28 years old. My belly has always been my problem area and I had some stretch marks on them so thats why I am self conscious about it. Hoping that my skin can bounce back from it with everyone's advice.
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that dry body brushing helps the skin tighten up as your are losing...
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 yrs old and have pretty much been overweight/obese since I was a teenager. My highest weight was 268 and now I'm 190 so there's definitely some loose skin especially on my arms. But I'm trying not to focus on that and instead focusing on being healthy. Honestly once I reach my goal weight I'll probably have more loose skin and I may end up getting the loose skin surgery. Its not something I'm focusing on now though. My advice is if you really think loose skin will be an issue then consider getting the surgery. Save up for it if you can. If surgery is not an option then try and lose the weight more slowly so you don't have a lot of loose skin and introduce strength training into your routine to tighten it up a bit. Plus after you've reached your goal you're going to want to give your skin a couple of years to bounce back. In that time you can save up for the surgery just in case and if you end up not needing it you can use the money for something else. Like a vaca. :)
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Obese side of my BMI all my life, so I will take the loose skin. I started ~215 and I sit at 184.6 right now. I don't notice any lose skin yet but I figure that's because this weight range is where I used to sit whenever I was in highschool and right before getting pregnant with my daughter in 2013. I know I will probably have loose skin on my belly because of 2 pregnancies only 13 months apart but I'm okay with that. If I can keep up with my kids, feel better, and not have any problems finding clothes then I will take the loose skin.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think my loose skin has tightened a "bit" during maintenance. This is an 8 week comparison (only one pound actually lost) during weight training and eating maintenance calories. Sorry for the awful picture quality. akzvgh48m0my.jpeg