Working out at home, but is it enough?

Options
Im trying to come up with my own workout routine at home so I can stick to a plan more than just winging what Im going to do on a daily basis. I want to know if what Im doing is enough. When should I increase my exercising? Im doing this all at home or go to the park for walking until I can get it in my budget to get to the gym. So currently I walk about 4 miles about 4 or 5 times a week and then on a every other day basis I have been using a resistance band, squats, dips, crunches etc...I usually do 2 or 3 sets of 10 to 15 depending on the exercise. My question is how much should I be doing? Is my walking enough cardio? Can I overdo anything? Previous advice from someone that doesn't like to count reps was doing it until failure but I have a hard time with that I need structure a little bit. I can push myself if I feel i can do more but having a "standard" guideline would be helpful. Thanks for any advice!!!

Replies

• kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What are you exercising for? To lose weight? To improve strength? To increase cardiovascular fitness? Are you really tired after your four mile walks?
    What is you current state? Overweight, underweight or are you happy with your weight and just want to get a bit fitter?
    So many variables to consider before a proper answer can be given. For some people a four mile walk would be ample, for others nothing more than a relaxing rest day stroll.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Loads of great work out channels free on you tube to for exercising at home
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I started off working out at home. I became much fitter as a result. I started off with 30 day shred and then started to use Fitnessblender.com and has fit.com. I planned the week ahead 30mins of exercise daily.
    Last year I joined a gym and go to classes, was so surprised I could keep up with the classes. I also try and get 7000 to 10000 steps a day.

Good luck
  • Kellynnjo
    Kellynnjo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kinmad4it wrote: »
    What are you exercising for? To lose weight? To improve strength? To increase cardiovascular fitness? Are you really tired after your four mile walks?
    What is you current state? Overweight, underweight or are you happy with your weight and just want to get a bit fitter?
    So many variables to consider before a proper answer can be given. For some people a four mile walk would be ample, for others nothing more than a relaxing rest day stroll.

Exercising to lose weight mostly. I have about 70 lbs to lose. Im definitely not tired after the 4 miles but just get bored with walking at the park every day. I get my walk out of the way before work just in case I don't have time in the afternoon but i could definitely get in some more cardio at home. I'm just wondering if Im only doing enough to "stay healthy" i've noticed inches lost but Im not sure how much weight i've lost because I threw my scale out. I was sick of worrying about the number all the time.
  • Kellynnjo
    Kellynnjo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also like to add that im perfectly fine losing it slowly. Im not trying to rush to get it off because I want to actually keep it off best I can. I am eating pretty good mostly low carb high protein diet. Taking vitamins and probiotic daily too.
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kellynnjo wrote: »
    kinmad4it wrote: »

Exercising to lose weight mostly. I have about 70 lbs to lose. Im definitely not tired after the 4 miles but just get bored with walking at the park every day. I get my walk out of the way before work just in case I don't have time in the afternoon but i could definitely get in some more cardio at home. I'm just wondering if Im only doing enough to "stay healthy" i've noticed inches lost but Im not sure how much weight i've lost because I threw my scale out. I was sick of worrying about the number all the time.

You're off to a good start!
    For weight loss though, eating on a caloric deficit is best and proven.
    I started early this year just like you, home exercises & jogging/cardio. I did that for 3 months (12wks) and lost 4 lbs.

Then I found out about "caloric deficit".
    I have been eating only 80% of my TDEE and i lost 15 lbs in less than 9 wks!
    Supplement it with resistance training so you don't lose muscle as you're losing weight & fat.
    Goodluck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "Enough" for what??

That's the question. This is to difficult of a question to answer without more details.

Is that enough for you to sufficiently train for a marathon? no
    is it enough for you to check the box on 20 minutes a day of activity? sure

goals matter.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When should I increase my exercising? When it is no longer challenging you physically.

Walking is enough for cardiovascular health, just be sure to pick up the pace as your body adapts and it gets easier, you want to make sure your heart is getting a good workout.

For resistance work you can increase reps or increase resistance - if you have limited equipment increasing resistance isn't always a stronger band or heavier weight, it can also be increasing range of motion - so squatting deeper, dipping lower, or crunching higher.

Keep the work in your workout.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Diet is going to be a large component of your weight loss. Switch from enriched wheat flour to whole grains. Just look at the ingredient panel of foods. Cut back on sugar, fried and greasy foods, junk food, processed foods. Prepare your meals. Eat "clean", like professional bodybuilders do. They have videos on youtube. Switch from vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil. Switch from pop to tea and water.
    Sound like your walk should be increased to a power walk, if not a jog, at least for a portion of it. If you do jog, try to land predominantly on your toes. That will make your calf absorb more impact and take stress of your ankles and knees. Be warned: your calves will be sore. Let them recover and they'll get stronger. While you wait, ride your bike, do different types push-ups, core exercises like crunches and leg raises, and different types of squats.
    Keep a journal of your workouts in a notebook. What you did, how many sets and reps, the date. You can even add how you felt. That will help you track your progress. For example, two days ago I did 3 sets of 10 push-ups with knees on the floor. Today, I try 3 sets of 11 push-ups, and record how many you were able to do.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When should I increase my exercising? When it is no longer challenging you physically.

Keep the work in your workout.

yessss!!!