Is nausea normal when restricting calories?

Options
bamfgoals
bamfgoals Posts: 28 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
Lately (as in the past few months), I've been stuck in a cycle of binge-eating. And not binge-eating decent stuff, but easy frozen foods that I can buy in bulk. For instance, on a particularly bad day, eating 4000 calories worth of hot pockets, frozen burritos, ramen, etc.

I'm working on transitioning into eating more vegetables, and actually want to become wholly vegan (ie eat exclusively fruits/veggies/legumes/etc). However, every time I start the day off eating just vegetables, like broccoli, potatoes, carrots, etc., I find myself nauseated to the point where I'll carry around a giant bowl because I feel like I'm going to lose my stomach. This happens as early as 3pm. Then, because I feel so terrible, I generally end up stuffing my face and going overboard :(

Is this common when suddenly transitioning to a low-calorie intake? Or is it perhaps related to the sudden change in content/quantity of foods? Maybe it's sodium related? And I know, probably a question for the Dr... I have a physical upcoming and will mention it then, but I'm hoping to get some early insight. Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• mandee201023
    mandee201023 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well I am by no means a doctor or nutritionist but just from my own personal experience, I think it's the content change. What if you slowly swap out some of the junk food with veggies and fruits? Like maybe over the course of a couple weeks or so. And then continue to slowly add more healthy food in the day until you have little to no junk food.
    Good luck and I hope you can figure it out!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I find that I need to eat balanced foods. So if I wanted to get in more vegetables, maybe I'd eat some ramen with some frozen vegetables stirred in- that way I'm getting a variety of different things.

I agree with mandee, add them slowly. Some people have more trouble than others with raw vegetables, too, so maybe cook them. Have some butter or cheese with them. Adding fat and or protein to vegetables helps with digestion.

What about protein? Are you eating lean meats or eggs or fish?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What is your current daily intake? What are you using to measure this? This sounds like a psychological battle you're having. To be safe you may want to get outside help from your doctor if you're able.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Do you possibly have a food intolerance that you're not aware of? Hope you feel better soon!!
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you view the changes you want to make as something you can achieve now or in in the short term.. You are going to have some issues.

This is not about instant gratification or turning a fantasy of a certain lifestyle into reality overnight. You MUST accept that your goals are going to take a long time to achieve. Success is measured daily by simply asking if yourself if you are a bit closer to your goal compared to yesterday.

If you want to go vegan do it in stages. Do a month of vegan until noon. Then a month of vegan until 4pm. Then a month of vegan until 9pm. Then go full vegan.

Mentally this gives you the upper hand of knowing if you feel a bit down or under caloried you have a time frame in which to relieve those symptoms. Over 2 or 3 months you will slowly educate yourself onto which vegan foods give you the calories and satiety you need.

Essentially ween yourself off your current lifestyle - do not try to wholesale change it.

Good luck!

edit:

p.s You are probably highly under caloried and suffering short term sugar cravings in the vegan phases hence you feel bad.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your proteins from?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    bamfgoals wrote: »
    Lately (as in the past few months), I've been stuck in a cycle of binge-eating. And not binge-eating decent stuff, but easy frozen foods that I can buy in bulk. For instance, on a particularly bad day, eating 4000 calories worth of hot pockets, frozen burritos, ramen, etc.

I'm working on transitioning into eating more vegetables, and actually want to become wholly vegan (ie eat exclusively fruits/veggies/legumes/etc). However, every time I start the day off eating just vegetables, like broccoli, potatoes, carrots, etc., I find myself nauseated to the point where I'll carry around a giant bowl because I feel like I'm going to lose my stomach. This happens as early as 3pm. Then, because I feel so terrible, I generally end up stuffing my face and going overboard :(

Is this common when suddenly transitioning to a low-calorie intake? Or is it perhaps related to the sudden change in content/quantity of foods? Maybe it's sodium related? And I know, probably a question for the Dr... I have a physical upcoming and will mention it then, but I'm hoping to get some early insight. Any input is appreciated!

I don't think it is low calorie diet but switching type of food.
    Are you getting a lot more fiber than you used to? Because a sudden increase in fiber can cause some symptoms.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/6-health-risks-of-eating-too-much-fiber.html
    I would change the type of foods you eat more slowly and drink plenty of water.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    That's a bulky, fiber heavy meal to start the day with. I'd try eating something lighter and smoother in the morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    bamfgoals wrote: »

My vegan friends don't eat like this. Where's the protein and fat?

You're binging in the PM because you are overly restrictive in the AM.

Paging @janejellyroll to give you some resources about transitioning to veganism.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, no, it's not normal. It can happen when eating too little or improper nutrition. Try eating several small meals or snacks throughout the day with balanced macros.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but your body doesn't like something. Because you changed two things at once

1.) The amount of kcals you eat
    2.) What you eat

It is a 50/50 chance to predict which one is related to the sick feeling. I suggest making smaller changes over time. Your body takes times to adapt to new things. For example, you wouldn't expect to be able to deadlift 500lbs on your first day in the gym...it takes time to reach that level.