Gaining every week now

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok so I've been on levothyroxine since beginning of August. To treat thyroid. I have gained every week since despite counting calories and weighing everything. I lost 5 stone before now nothing. I'm now back to 16 stone.

I'm thinking of stopping my Meds I know for a fact it's them as I've never gained every week before

I'm taking 50mg of levo

Talk to your doctor. Even with meds, you are eating too much if you are gaining weight.

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I did talk to her. She said it takes time for the pills to take effect that I'm still suffering from a slow thyroid. That o need patience. I know what I put in my mouth and I I have less calories now than I did a year ago when I was lighter! And I'm still gaining weight.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    What I was hoping to gain. Was any others out there that have been where I have been and come out the other side better. Healthier and losing weight on levo. Thats all.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    What I was hoping to gain. Was any others out there that have been where I have been and come out the other side better. Healthier and losing weight on levo. Thats all.

I have been there. And it did take time. It took about 2 weeks for me to start feeling human and about 4 weeks for my thyroid hormones to come up high enough for me to start noticing a difference weight loss wise. The thing is, that isn't going to happen for you until you are on the right dosage and right blend of T3 and T4. So your time frame does not start for those things until you hit the right amount for you (meaning the first day you start taking the right amount). I'm sorry. I think this doctor is quacked. 50mg of levoxy with that high of a TSH is just not going to do it. I would either find you another doctor or go plant yourself in her office with a fistful of knowledge and information to show her and see if you can get this fixed. But, I'm like that - some people aren't. The only thing I would recommend in the meantime is adding in 400mcg of selenium (do not take more then that) once a day and see if that helps your conversion rate any. Otherwise, you are going to have to stick this out. Be diligent with your logging, keep things tight diet wise, and just tell yourself this is temporary. Without a doctor willing to make micro adjustments like mine did, I don't know how else you can do it (I adjust my own meds but have my doctor's blessing to do so).
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Thank you so much.. she is willing to adjust my dose again on Monday. I need to ring her once she has the bloods. Yes I'll grab some selenium that's a good idea. I can't believe I was ignorant to believe this would be sorted as soon as I started taking the Meds lol
  • leahcollett1
    Options

I have been there. And it did take time. It took about 2 weeks for me to start feeling human and about 4 weeks for my thyroid hormones to come up high enough for me to start noticing a difference weight loss wise. The thing is, that isn't going to happen for you until you are on the right dosage and right blend of T3 and T4. So your time frame does not start for those things until you hit the right amount for you (meaning the first day you start taking the right amount). I'm sorry. I think this doctor is quacked. 50mg of levoxy with that high of a TSH is just not going to do it. I would either find you another doctor or go plant yourself in her office with a fistful of knowledge and information to show her and see if you can get this fixed. But, I'm like that - some people aren't. The only thing I would recommend in the meantime is adding in 400mcg of selenium (do not take more then that) once a day and see if that helps your conversion rate any. Otherwise, you are going to have to stick this out. Be diligent with your logging, keep things tight diet wise, and just tell yourself this is temporary. Without a doctor willing to make micro adjustments like mine did, I don't know how else you can do it (I adjust my own meds but have my doctor's blessing to do so).

Could you please send me a link to buy some there's so many different ones out there?
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I said it on your previous thread and I will say it again, it takes time before your thyroxine dose is at the right level (at 16.7st I was on 200mcg) it took my gp 2 years to get it right for me.

At 50mcg and still gaining, means the dose is too low and hate to say it but that means 1600 kcal is too much for you right now.

Do not stop taking the tablets, it will only mean you will gain even faster than you are now, levo is replacing what your body is no longer making itself.

And to say again I was where you were 6 years ago and I have lost 5st since my diagnosis so it can be done but right now you need to be patient and stay on top of your gp. Thyroxine is a hormone they are slow acting it takes at least 6 weeks for a new dosage to be in your system.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Could you please send me a link to buy some there's so many different ones out there?

Sure. This company is one that many of the very high end supplement companies use and just relabel the supplement with their expensive label brand. For the most part, I trust their stuff.

http://www.vitacost.com/now-selenium

NOW brand has two different labels but they are both basically orange and white. These are 200mcg caps so 400mcg would be two caps. Doesn't matter if you take them together or AM/PM. You may want to find a source in the UK but at least you can see what it looks like.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You say you've been eating a certain amount of calories, but I only see 3 days logged in your diary for September, and I see foods that haven't been weighed... How did you log your calories for the last year?

I suggest clean up your logging, weigh every bit of food that goes into your mouth (no more 1 slice, 1 baguette, 1 piece, 13 raspberries) weigh it all for a more accurate calorie count. Weigh the deli slices, eggs, meat, cheese..

I agree with everyone here...don't stop taking your meds. Medications don't cause direct weight gain, but they can increase appetite, but apparently your med doesn't increase appetite.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    By the way you take 50 mcg levo daily not 50 mg … 1000 mcg in 1 mg so you'd be seriously overdosing ;-)
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    As I said earlier I'm a member of weight loss resources a UK based calorie counting website. I carry a small set of scales in my handbag so I don't have to guess that is how pedantic I am with my logging. I pay £10 a month for a more thorough UK based database for my foods. I think I agree when people say 1600 is too much for me. I will try 1400 a day. See what happens
  • bloom2015
    bloom2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    leahcollett, You must feel desperate. I have read that low levels of thyroid hormones can cause wight gain or loss. The body is complex and your medication should have been carefully monitored. . So you may need a different doctor but see a doctor immediately or asap.
  • Susie_Magoozie
    Susie_Magoozie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have to echo that STTM (Stop the Thyroid Madness) is some of the very best help out there for hashimoto's and hypothyroid (as well as some other issues). They also have a facebook group called FTPO (For Thyroid Patients Only). Getting those levels optimum - not just in range - but yes in range at their best for us - is the best place we can be when struggling with hashimoto's. I feel WAY better most often. Still have some ups and downs but much much better, and looking forward to getting even better.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I've always been sedentary and never eaten exercise cals so it didn't effect me when I stopped exercising. I struggle for time now as I've started college I'm a mother of 2 and I work full time so as you can see I'm a bit busy.

So maybe rosnz I need to up my dosage?

You didnt eat your exercise calories before and lost weight. Could your deficit have been coming from those extra calorie burns you were earning? And you started gaining when you stopped earning them to create a deficit?

Im hypo as well. It is harder to lose weight and much easier to gain it. Water retention can also be extreme. I hope your doctor helps you figure it out because it can be very frustrating.