Strength -VS- Aesthetics

Options
Jirani25
Jirani25 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
When I first got into fitness, I was obsessed with the idea of getting shredded and being like pro bodybuilders.

But as time passed I trained and have gotten lean and have had great results but I feel that I've grown out of that "phase".

My interest changed to the more functional side of fitness. Where strength, agility, power, and just feeling healthy and strong is what my goals were.

As I learned more about bodybuilding the less attractive it was to me. All the scam artist in the industry, the competitions, everything just seems to pointless now.
Nothing against those who do competitions, because I would love to do one, but simply for the fun to have that experience. I don't see any other benefit to it.

And peoples obsessions to be "skinny" or have abs which I've had for a long time and it's so overrated, I'd much rather have a strong core and heavy lifts.
I'm not saying walk around with a high body fat percentage but be healthy, sometimes having abs means not eating as much as one should for their optimal health.

ANYWAYS! What are some of your goals??
Share your input/opinion.

Replies

• Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the opening comment. I choose to train and feel like an athlete, not a meathead with a fake tan.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    for the most part, everyone's goals are legitimate, so the important thing is to design your program to meet them. By the time you get to my age, "aesthetics" becomes less of a concern.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I know I will never be thin, my thighs will always touch, I will never have visible abs and I have come to accept that. I am a mother over 40 and my journey to fitness started just 2 years ago. I am happy with strong, fit and athletic. However, I am still looking to drop a few more stubborn pounds!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    At 42 I'm primarily concerned with just being healthy and capable for now and into the future. I lift primarily to preserve the lean mass I have and I cycle for my cardiovascular health. I'm lean and fit, but not ultra lean as to walk around with a six pack...that level of leanness takes more dedication to diet and exercise than I'm willing to put out...I figure I have a pretty good balance of quality diet, exercise, and just enjoying life.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jirani25 wrote: »
    Nothing against those who do competitions, because I would love to do one, but simply for the fun to have that experience. I don't see any other benefit to it.

And peoples obsessions to be "skinny" or have abs which I've had for a long time and it's so overrated, I'd much rather have a strong core and heavy lifts.
    I'm not saying walk around with a high body fat percentage but be healthy, sometimes having abs means not eating as much as one should for their optimal health.

ANYWAYS! What are some of your goals??
    Share your input/opinion.

I think everyone should do whatever works for them. I may not see the appeal of someone else's goal, but if it works for them, then that's okay. That being said, I also don't see why people get obsessed with having a certain look. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    When I first decided to take care of my health, I just wanted to not be obese anymore and lift heavy. I successfully obtained a healthy BMI, but didn't get into heavy lifting, and I later became interested in getting abs because I thought/think abs are visually pleasing. I lifted with weights this entire summer, but the way my life is right now, lifting heavy is not an option worth the sacrifices.
    Today, my goal is simply to maintain general overall health. I walk as much as possible, do bodyweight exercises, and practice yoga. My activities are fun, and it's nice to experience the progress in strength. I think I look great (even when bloated I look flat to the rest of the world), my clothes fit just fine, and my doctors no longer bother me about my weight and blood pressure, so I'm content.
    If I get even leaner as a result of my activities, I won't complain, but I don't have a super special goal right now.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    power lift
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My goals are health/fitness/strength.
    Aesthetics not really a driver and perhaps as I'm from a different generation to most, both on here and in the gym, the very lean look has never really appealed to me enough to make the sacrifices required. If I could make a wish and be granted a six pack that would be nice but it's just not a motivator to me.

I only monitored bodyfat % while losing to get to a healthy level and judge progress. Once I got to goal I just look in the mirror and think "that's OK".

I've been maintaining and recomping a while and used the extra muscle in probably the opposite way to most - I bumped up my maintenance weight by 4lbs so clearly I put size (and enjoying more food!) above being leaner and having better aesthetics.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Go over show. I'm vain enough that I'll never be willing to get big enough to compete with the super heavys. But at the same time I'll never cut down to compete at 72.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    both.png

This. I do both. I compete in bodybuilding and powerlifting. I do pretty good in both for being natural and only a few years into lifting.
  • Jirani25
    Options
    I know I will never be thin, my thighs will always touch, I will never have visible abs and I have come to accept that. I am a mother over 40 and my journey to fitness started just 2 years ago. I am happy with strong, fit and athletic. However, I am still looking to drop a few more stubborn pounds!! :)

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO.
    SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

I hate to hear someone say "can't" or "I'll never"..

If you put forth the effort your results will follow. Diet and exercise are crucial for you I believe.

Don't waste your life wishing..

• Jirani25
    Options
    Everyone is different..

Different: ages, body types, health, interested, lives.

So everyone's goals will be gear toward themselves and will change accordingly.

No such thing as a "wrong goal"

Just personal preference.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

If you put forth the effort your results will follow. Diet and exercise are crucial for you I believe.

Sometimes people say they can't because the desire isn't there. Sometimes they say they'll never reach something because they know that the sacrifices they would have to make to get there are not something they are interested in doing. Eventually she may see something that inspires her to shoot for visible abs, but not everyone wants them.

Despite having visible abs myself I think that a lot of fit people tend to push that ideal on others when the reality is that not everyone wants that. I let people know it is possible, even for moms like me, but not everyone is "wasting their life wishing" for visible abs or a thigh gap.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I want to be strong haha. I spent most of my life being fat and weak. I was actually scared that being strong would make me less feminine?

Now I want to power lift once I lose my last bit of weight. Currently I am lifting and really enjoying it!
  • Jirani25
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

SHOOT FOR THE STARS.
    I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Sometimes people say they can't because the desire isn't there. Sometimes they say they'll never reach something because they know that the sacrifices they would have to make to get there are not something they are interested in doing. Eventually she may see something that inspires her to shoot for visible abs, but not everyone wants them.

Despite having visible abs myself I think that a lot of fit people tend to push that ideal on others when the reality is that not everyone wants that. I let people know it is possible, even for moms like me, but not everyone is "wasting their life wishing" for visible abs or a thigh gap.

Well said, and you have a valid point.

I agree, and personally do not encourage one to change their goals. Or to strive for someone else's personal preference on a "good physique" specifically.

My understanding and what I took from her comment was that, she wanted a smaller tummy, and less fat on her thighs, but didn't feel it was achievable for her personally.

What you said though helps me take away a different understanding.

You have an interesting perspective on it though, that haven't had before.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Overall, my goals are "all of the above"--health, strength, and aesthetics. They go hand in hand for me, though there might be more of a focus on one or another at times. At this specific moment I am trying to focus on health and, if all goes well, my strength should increase as a result.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    eh, i think bodies are plastic enough that you can move your goals around multiple times through your life. for whatever reason, up to/including just being bored with where you are now and wanting to cross the road and go somewhere else for the fun of it.

don't see the point of tub-thumping about any particular thing i get into being The Better Way. or getting all judgey about other people and whatever they're into for their own selves. i've been lifting a bit more than two years and learned a lot by being around a pretty diverse population of people who all have their own directions and goals.