Giving Up Red Meat...

Options
2»

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I actually just don't eat much red meat for no apparent reason. I mean, ground beef is about it. I can't remember last time I had a steak before this most recent one, and that was just cause i got a new cookbook and it sounded good. That was a week ago and before that I can't find any in my diary so there's that.

I don't find that my natural inclination towards seafood and chicken has had any noticeable difference in whether I meet my calories or not, or on my general health. I'm generally healthy when I don't eat it, and feel no different when I do. I have yet to see any convincing scientific evidence that red meat is the devil. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be convinced if such evidence existed, I just have't seen it yet, so I'm withholding my concern until I do.

I will say that not eating a lot of red meat is MURDER on the budget. I like chicken and seafood in part because they are so cheap comparatively. I mean $21.99 for new york strip? $5.99 for 85% lean ground? You're out of your minds. I think I'll gladly stick with $3.49/lb chicken breast or $7.99/lb salmon so I can afford to eat something WITH it.

ETA: No offense people with money, if you have the cash, please feel free to eat as much new york strip as makes you happy. I don't say these things to disparage you, only because I can't possibly be the only person on here for whom money IS a concern.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much red meat, but red meat or no red meat doesn't really impact weight loss...hell, I eat vegetarian 3-4 days per week and can easily put on weight doing that...lentils and legumes have lots of calories...and that's what matters where weight management is concerned.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I actually just don't eat much red meat for no apparent reason. I mean, ground beef is about it. I can't remember last time I had a steak before this most recent one, and that was just cause i got a new cookbook and it sounded good. That was a week ago and before that I can't find any in my diary so there's that.

I don't find that my natural inclination towards seafood and chicken has had any noticeable difference in whether I meet my calories or not, or on my general health. I'm generally healthy when I don't eat it, and feel no different when I do. I have yet to see any convincing scientific evidence that red meat is the devil. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be convinced if such evidence existed, I just have't seen it yet, so I'm withholding my concern until I do.

I will say that not eating a lot of red meat is MURDER on the budget. I like chicken and seafood in part because they are so cheap comparatively. I mean $21.99 for new york strip? $5.99 for 85% lean ground? You're out of your minds. I think I'll gladly stick with $3.49/lb chicken breast or $7.99/lb salmon so I can afford to eat something WITH it.

ETA: No offense people with money, if you have the cash, please feel free to eat as much new york strip as makes you happy. I don't say these things to disparage you, only because I can't possibly be the only person on here for whom money IS a concern.

Our money tree died a long time ago. Shopping at Sams or Costco is a lot cheaper than $21.99 for NY Strip.Maybe around $9-11/lb depending on what day it is. You might want to check it out if you have not done so already. We can buy a whole ribeye for about $8.00 a pound. Trim the fat, render it and use it for cooking. Still, it used to be that fish was more money than beef, now it is the other way around. We eat a lot of seafood (love it) and I worry about Mercury, but at 60 years of age, how many years do I have left to build it up in my body?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can I just use food coloring as a way of avoiding red meat?
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You heard wrong, sorry.

Set reasonable calorie goals, reasonable macronutrient goals, and fill it however you wish.

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Can I just use food coloring as a way of avoiding red meat?

Love it!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken thighs, skin on, baked, then take the skin off, ground turkey for tacos, meatloafs, chili, spaghetti (when I dare to eat pasta). I am now eating more rotissiere chicken cause it's quick and easy. I even take a whole one to work cause lunch meals from where I work is almost at the $10 level (sandwiches are like 8). Easy to pair with veggies. As to red meat. I love it but I don't eat it often because of cost. When I do buy it I will get a leaner cut, then add olive oil and seasonings on top before broiling. Makes it tender and flavorable. Olive oil is better than fat in a steak. It's a treat that I have once or twice a month. I make pot roast about once a month, Sunday dinner.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Things that will never happen in my house?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love chicken, but it's the thighs that I love, so sort of defeats the object if I were to stick to chicken to shave a few calories off.

Looking over the past couple of weeks or so, my major protein sources have included slow cooked beef, lamb leg, lamb shoulder, cod, haddock, farmed salmon, all of the chicken, prawns, eggs, venison, pork sausages, ham, cheddar cheese....
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I grew up on red meat - the family owned a meat market - and I could NEVER give it up but I do eat a lot less of it than I use to.

Just love my rare 1# grilled NY strip steaks but I only eat 1/2 of them 1 in sitting now and save the other 1/2 as left overs. ;)
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

And that's why a large portion of our red meat is venison! It winds up around $1.50/lb processed. I do watch sales around Memorial day and Labor day for whole ribeye roasts. Expensive as crap still because we have to buy the whole thing but $4.99/lb for ribeyes? Yes please! We have them cut 8 steaks and a 3-5lb roast for "prime rib." Lasts us the year for steak lol. I do occasionally order one out but DH prefers seafood out. I don't like it and have no clue how to cook it beyond fish sticks from the freezer. So he gets his seafood fix out.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I love chicken, but it's the thighs that I love, so sort of defeats the object if I were to stick to chicken to shave a few calories off.

Looking over the past couple of weeks or so, my major protein sources have included slow cooked beef, lamb leg, lamb shoulder, cod, haddock, farmed salmon, all of the chicken, prawns, eggs, venison, pork sausages, ham, cheddar cheese....

Excellent variety. I think that's the key to getting what the body needs.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I find NY strip on manager special for $6 per lb (or less) on the regular. One of the benefits of the masses thinking red meat is the devil, lol. I refuse to pay more than $3 per lb for ground beef or chuck roast (and it typically isn't an issue). Now, seafood? That *kitten*'s expensive, lol. And have you noticed they are charging the same for boneless skinless chicken thighs as they do for boneless skinless breast??!! Outrageous! I'll take the $0.99 per lb bone in, skin on thighs and remove the bone myself (and use them for stock), thankyouverymuch!

/end rant
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

We eat ribeye steaks about once every other week and we do not pay that much for them. We have a restaurant depot card and can get steaks much cheaper. Even if I get them from the grocery store I typically wait till they are on sale for $6 a pound or so and buy a few and freeze some. We have also gone in with people on a whole cow which is WAY cheaper then just about any grocery store.
    My husband deep sea fishes so we have a freezer full of sea bass, wahoo, mahi, etc. And we have several friends who hunt so we have probably half a deer worth of meet in the freezer as well.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

We shop at Costco and get a whole side of rib eye for about $8/lb. Makes about 20 steaks which we deep freeze. *shrug* Not much of a budget buster.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Eat leaner red meats. 93% lean ground beef has around 160 calories for 4 oz. It costs double, but you save a ton of calories and it tastes great grilled.