Treadmill!

I am looking into buying a used treadmill...are there any that you would recommend???

Replies

• trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    I would recommend going to a sporting goods store that would allow you to test certain models. I have a folding model and it has way too much bounce and give so I can only do shorter 50 min or less runs on it, and I cant go too fast on it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    M3Kindschi wrote: »
    I am looking into buying a used treadmill...are there any that you would recommend???

Are you an existing runner or is this a mechanism to get you into running?
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Here is a good site that reviews treadmills and elliptical machines. I have a True treadmill that I bought over 10 years ago and it is still going strong after heavy use. I wanted a machine that would last many years and also handle the stride and weight of a person 6'4" and 200 lbs. (DH)

https://www.treadmilldoctor.com/bestbuyawards-treadmill
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I would recommend going to a sporting goods store that would allow you to test certain models. I have a folding model and it has way too much bounce and give so I can only do shorter 50 min or less runs on it, and I cant go too fast on it.

Mine is a Pro Form and has a card reader compatible with the Jillian Michaels iFit program workouts. Those workouts only require walking at different speeds and at different inclines, so I don't actually run on it.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    This:

https://www.treadmilldoctor.com/bestbuyawards-treadmill

I used this site to buy my treadmill and elliptical 5 years ago. So far no worries on both.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I have a SOLE F63 treadmill. This treadmill is as close to industrial you can get I think for the price. All I have to do it keep it dust free and oiled in the right joints..

Now the key is how much do you want to spend or is in your budget?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,439 Member
    I would recommend doing a little bit of research before you make a purchase.

My husband and I were looking into treadmills a couple years ago, and I learned a few things like ... they've got a maximum weight recommendation. My husband is not overweight, but he was right on the upper limit of some of the cheaper models. They've also got speeds. Some that would work for me with a max running speed of about 8 km/h, would not work for my husband who runs around 10 km/h.

Then there is the room factor. Can you leave it set up, or does it need to fold away?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    The question really is, how much are you willing to spend on a clothes horse? I bought mine 5 years before I started using it regularly.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    edited September 2016
    Budget and room for it was my two considerations. I went for a Reebok Z9 on offer for £399 and it's like one you use at the gym, but just not so many functions. It does far more than I need, but I do fancy the ones you can download ifit I think it is for my next one.

I'd also recommend starting an activity before buying one. I have an exercise bike that's a clothes horse. I knew I liked the walk/run thing, although I'm not good at it, so mine gets constant use. I was on week 7 of couch to 5k before I decided to buy one. At that point, I knew I'd keep going.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    Personally, I'd never buy a low-end treadmill as I think their utility just isn't good enough - secondhand commercial quality (like a model you'd find in a gym) is the only way I'd go.

I'm not a hardcore runner by any means but I do want to be able to run at more than 7 mph and for more than an hour and I don't want it bouncing/shaking or burning out after six months with that kind of use, and nearly everyone I know who's bought a cheap one (especially those fold up ones) has had issues like that if they actually run on them.

I'm actually looking for one right now too and I'm being pretty picky because I know I'll use it heavily (I use one at least 4 times a week at the gym in winter) and it just doesn't seem worth buying one that isn't going to be functional for me.

But I agree with the majority that it's maybe not the greatest idea if you don't already use one.
  • M3Kindschi
    M3Kindschi Posts: 72 Member
    My husband is going to fix the proform that we have (we have had it for over 17 years and it was a couple of years old when we bought it from an elderly lady) I have put TONS of miles on it over the years, walking. My kids run on it every once in awhile. But my husband thinks that since I have used the same speeds for so long (between 3.0 and 3.7) that a part is just worn out! The part was only $20 so we will see if I can get some more use out of this machine before we invest in another one! He has pieced this thing together at different times, thank god that he is handy! We know that a new one will get used (not for a clothes hanger either :smiley: ) Thank you so much for the recommendations!!!