Accuracy of the "check mark"

Options
blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Im going out to eat at a restaurant tomorrow and I was planning on getting this meal. It has 1200 cholesterol according to the data on myfitnesspal. On their official website it says it has 200 and i dont know which is the real deal

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I would trust the website of the restaurant providing the food over an MFP database entry. What is in the dish? Unless it's made with three or four eggs, or is a huge pile of shrimp, 1200 mg cholesterol seems excessive (yes, meat and dairy have cholesterol, but not that much in a single serving of food, even a restaurant portion.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    The database is highly inaccurate, even the check mark entries.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would trust the website of the restaurant providing the food over an MFP database entry. What is in the dish? Unless it's made with three or four eggs, or is a huge pile of shrimp, 1200 mg cholesterol seems excessive (yes, meat and dairy have cholesterol, but not that much in a single serving of food, even a restaurant portion.

It's from Boston pizza, the dish is Steak and vegetables.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The check mark is trash lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

It's from Boston pizza, the dish is Steak and vegetables.

OK, so you're talking around 250 mg cholesterol from a pound of boneless steak, and no cholesterol from the veggies. If they dump a couple of tablespoons of butter on top, it gets you up to 300 mg cholesterol. So, without knowing the amount of steak and how they cook it (that, is if they use butter), I'd say the 200 mg that the restaurant website reports is perfectly reasonable and the 1200 mg in the MFP database entry is completely absurd, which is about par for the course for the checked entries.

The checked entries are one of many bad changes MFP has implemented since I started here three years ago. I'd say pretty much everything about the site is worse than when I started. I just haven't seen anything better, sadly. And I've got all three years of logged information here, which does raise the "costs" of switching to something else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    which is why I report the check marked entries if I know they are wrong. they need to do some real maintenance to MFP (correct the database,take out old outdated entries,and so on)