how many calories?

Options
Hi everybody, I'm not sure how many calories I need to consume on a daily basis to lose weight. I normally burn 1000 calories a day and eat 1200 calories a day. But after a quick google search (prompted by a recent binge) I discovered I might actually be eating too little. I've read that I'm supposed to eat between 1500 to 2000 calories a day to lose the weight, but it seems a bit excessive. I should mention that this is not the first time I've tried to lose the weight. I've always failed because they were too restrictive -- but that's what a diet is supposed to be, right? what do you think? i should mention that I've been working at this for a month and haven't noticed much of a difference. do you think this is because my body entered starvation mode (metabolism has slowed down)? perhaps this prevented me from losing weight? I'm really confused and could you use some guidance.
weight: 150 height: 5'6" age: 23 sex: female activity level: a mix between cardio and strength 6-7 times a week
Thank you very much!!

Replies

• ange9482
    ange9482 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Google TDEE. It is a calculator that will ask you to enter you weight height and your activity level for everyday. It will tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain it self on a daily basis. Thus you will be able to create your caloric deficit more accurately.

The main thing is to be consistent. I woundnt recommend the gym 6 to 7 days a week. Youll burn out and crash eventually. Try a circuit strength training routine starting with an anatomical adaptation period 5 days a week max. Keep the reps high. I wouldn't bother with cardio machines. Take nice long walks. Keep your caloric deficit up and stick with it. ;)

Best of luck!

-Ange
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No, on the starvation mode thing.. its not a thing unless you are in true famine for a very long period of time.

I bet you put in MFP that you were sedentary and wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? Your activity level DOES NOT include exercise when setting up your GOALS in MFP. Exercise is extra. Do not tell MFP that you want to lose 2 pounds a week and this will up your calorie goal from 1200. 1200 calories is the lowest you can go per MFP recommendation to lose weight. Do not do this.

So you will eat your calories MFP gives you + exercise (some), trend your weight based on the rate of loss you setup for each week and adjust (exercise calories eaten back) over a period of time. 4 weeks minimum.

Next move more, exercise too (keep doing the cardio and strength). Keep doing all of this.

Buy a food scale and weigh you food intake, stick to the calories MFP gave you to lose weight every day. No cheats, no lowering calories etc.

Give this 4 weeks minimum. Be patient. :) Read the stickies at the beginning of the forums..