Does Burning Calories and Fitness Have Anything to Do With O

Options
Okay, so I searched through the threads and couldn't find my answer. I've been doing cardio between 30-45 minutes 4-5 days a week. I've noticed that my workouts have become much easier (as in, I don't feel like I'm going to die while working out). I understand that this means I'm becoming more fit, but does this also mean I'm burning less calories? If I'm burning the same amount of calories, I'll continue with my usual workouts, but if my being more comfortable with the workouts somehow affects weight loss, I definitely want to push harder. Thoughts?

Replies

• bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    Im sorry i dont have an answer for you but im looking forward to other peoples responses. I'd like to know too!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? If so, just test that way. I personally started burning a little less when I got comfortable, but I was still doing a really intense workout, so the difference was marginal.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You should always been improving your workouts. Your body gets used to a certain set of movements and fitness level and starts to get lazy. Don't be afraid to challenge your body.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Normally you will burn fewer calories over time, especially once the pounds start coming off.

The only way to be 100% sure though is to get and wear a heart rate monitor.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    As you get more fit, it certainly becomes harder to burn the same amount of calories. I would step it up!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you have lost weight since you started to workout, there is no way you are burning he same amount of calories. The less you weigh, the harder you must push yourself to burn the same amount of calories you were, when you had more weight on you. Definitely push yourself harder!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you ought to burn less calories as you drop lbs/gain muscle and become fitter but using my heart rate monitor I seem to burn virtually the same amount of cals for the same exercises as I did 3 or 4 months ago when I first got the HRM. When I go to zumba for example I still burn 350-400 cals, same as I did back in March. Same instructor and everything. It feels easier but I'm still burning the same.

Good question though, I'm curious to see what other people say.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It's hard to determine without an hrm. But I'm going to say yes, if they're too easy you should up it by 10% intensity to get stronger/fitter :)
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The reason you feel less "winded" is because your heart is healthier and more efficient at moving oxygen to your muscles. You get more oxygen / breath than you did before.

You burn the same calories roughly, and you can actually be burning more because lean muscle uses fatty acids for resting metabolism. This is why athletes eat an absurd amount of food.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    I've also had this experience. The fitter I'm getting, the lighter I'm getting, the more I have to work to achieve the same level of 'burn' in calories.

Not that I mind. I appreciate the challenge and pushing myself a little harder each time. :)
  • yadayooo07
    yadayooo07 Posts: 11
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge, the amount of calories has to do with what you weigh not how hard you feel it is.. However, that being said, if the workout you are doing is getting too easy for you, it is definitely wisest to start making it more difficult. You always want to push yourself a little bit farther, and that's how you really can improve your cardio stamina and strength.

But as someone else said, if you are really really curious exactly how many calories you are burning, you can buy an HRM! :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yay for getting fitter :) You may want to try a heart rate monitor if you really want to get an accurate idea of how many calories you are burning.
    You might be burning less than you were when you were struggling but if you enjoy what you are doing now keep it up. Try to push yourself really use your muscles and practice good form etc.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I've found that as my body adjusts to something (whether it be cardio OR weights) -- I burn far less calories doing it. That's why they recommend switching things up A LOT - this keeps your body guessing. When you're working muscles in a different manner - they'll burn more because they aren't used to do it.

Also, as you get thinner - you burn less calories during exercise. BUT, I truly believe that I burn more on a daily basis just doing my "normal" stuff because I now have far more muscle than fat on my body. Muscle burns calories - fat does not. :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I believe you burn less. I know I have to up the resisitance to get the same heart rate as when I first started out. I realized it this past week when I caught myself singing along with the songs in my playlist and realized if I can sing its not intense enough. On our bike I've been alternating resistance levels between songs. One song at 2, one song at 8 back to 2 one and 7 so on until I cannot keep up then drop back to level 2. This keeps me breathing hard and my HR up where it shiuld be.
    Congrats on getting fitter! :-)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You will need to increase intensity to maintain your burns, I, by far, burn WAY less calories now than i did back in January for the same activities. I wear a HRM for every workout, so I have proof for how my body has reacted....
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had the problem not being able to reach my heart rate doing the same exercises I was doing. I wear a HRM.
    So I bumped it up and started doing something different. That may be what you have to do.
    I would also add some strength training to your workouts.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I got a BodyBugg (or BodyFit) tracker. When I first started out exercising with it in April, I could barely walk a mile without being completely winded and was burning 400+ calories doing it in 22 minutes. Now that I've taken some weight off, and gotten more fit (just like where you're at), I can now walk a fast mile - best time so far is 12.39 - and am burning about 320 calories for that same mile.

Now that I've started running, my calorie burn is back up.

So I would suggest you change up your cardio routine - start running, or go to a faster walking pace. Start walking a different route with hills.

Hope that helps!
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but it looks as if I better invest in one. Thanks!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I've found that as my body adjusts to something (whether it be cardio OR weights) -- I burn far less calories doing it. That's why they recommend switching things up A LOT - this keeps your body guessing. When you're working muscles in a different manner - they'll burn more because they aren't used to do it.

Also, as you get thinner - you burn less calories during exercise. BUT, I truly believe that I burn more on a daily basis just doing my "normal" stuff because I now have far more muscle than fat on my body. Muscle burns calories - fat does not. :)

And how do you know this? If all you are going on is an HRM, then the numbers are wrong. Unless you have lost weight, you are probably burning the same amount of calories doing steady-state cardio --it's just that the HRM doesn't know your fitness level has increased.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Steady-state cardio activities have relatively fixed energy costs. You will burn fewer calories by losing weight, but not by becoming more fit.

I always use the example of running 6.0 mph (10:00 mile) because it makes the arithmetic more simple. At this pace, you burn roughly 10 calories per kilogram of body wt per hour. Someone who weighs 90 kg (little under 200lb) will burn 900 cal/hour at this pace. If they loose 20 kg (now at 70kg) they will burn 700 cal/hour.

However if they stay at the same weight, but improve fitness level, they will still burn 900 cal/hour. Heart rate may decrease because maximum fitness level has increased, so the workload is now a smaller percentage of maximum. However, calories burned does not decrease.

Let's say our 90kg person has a VO2 max of 12 METs. Running at 6mph represents 80+% of maximum, so it will feel like hard work. Let's say the person increases VO2 max to 14 METs, but doesn't lose any weight. NOW, that speed of 6.0 mph represents 70% of maximum (10/14). It will feel easier, and HR will decline, but the person will still burn 900 cal/hour. That's because the energy cost of running 6.0 mph is relatively fixed--it's the same more or less no matter who is doing it.