Blood donation

Options
Didn't know where to post this. I am donating blood tomorrow and I have read that you burn up to 400 calories from donating. I have been donating for years but have never logged it on mfp.

Does anyone else log blood donation in their calorie log

Replies

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Fair enough...thanks for that. Will definitely enjoy the free biscuit afterwards though
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    No problem. Thank you for donating! I can no longer donate due to a blood disorder. A lot of my family needed transfusions to save their lives. You're doing a great thing :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Actually, a study out of University of SanDiego reports a calorie loss of up to 650ca.
    lmkr3lcxqm79.png
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I donate and don't count it though I do eat some free cookies after and don't count those :)
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I donate regularly (I have for over 10 years) but I honestly never even considered the possibility of it burning calories. o_O All I've accounted for is the temporary dehydration/desanguination, meaning I try to drink more water and take it easier that afternoon/evening. Oh, and I try to amp up my iron intake too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I donate and don't count it though I do eat some free cookies after and don't count those :)

I do this, too. Donation doesn't happen often enough to interfere with weight loss. Eat the cookies and enjoy them as a "freebie" for that day.
    Thanks for donating!
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Actually, a study out of University of SanDiego reports a calorie loss of up to 650ca.
    lmkr3lcxqm79.png

I saw that article too. And it, or a similar one, deeper in the article stated it was over a 6 or 8 week period. Bummer! Lol!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I donate every six weeks and I never log the calories because (as is pointed out above) the calories are replenished gradually day-by-day over the next few weeks -- not all at once. 15-20 calories a day isn't worth logging, IMO. I just make sure to hydrate well around those days.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    Didn't know where to post this. I am donating blood tomorrow and I have read that you burn up to 400 calories from donating. I have been donating for years but have never logged it on mfp.

I'm donating tomorrow at work. Its like 600 cal, yeah. but don't put it into MFP. Have a free half cookie a day for 5 weeks maybe? or just lose an extra 1/6 pound or so, hopefully of fat.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    spitapot81 wrote: »

I'm donating tomorrow at work. Its like 600 cal, yeah. but don't put it into MFP. Have a free half cookie a day for 5 weeks maybe? or just lose an extra 1/6 pound or so, hopefully of fat.

600 calories over 4-6 weeks which translates to very little every day.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You don't burn calories from DONATING blood... you burn about 600-650 extra calories over the next 4-6 weeks as your body regenerates the blood cells you gave. If you divide it up, that's only an extra 15-20 calories per day. Go ahead and enjoy your cookie for donating because 1. you just helped save lives and 2. you probably need the sugar boost, but I wouldn't eat 600 extra calories that day :lol:

THIS.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You don't burn calories from DONATING blood... you burn about 600-650 extra calories over the next 4-6 weeks as your body regenerates the blood cells you gave. If you divide it up, that's only an extra 15-20 calories per day. Go ahead and enjoy your cookie for donating because 1. you just helped save lives and 2. you probably need the sugar boost, but I wouldn't eat 600 extra calories that day :lol:

Hmm, perhaps my extremely heavy periods are why I can eat more than expected...

GAWD wouldn't that be nice? I wish we got some sort of bump from that, I dunno if we do. It feels like the guys have it easier because of their (statistically more likely to have) greater muscle mass. I want a girl-card benefit.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I dunno. You're supposed to eat more and not exercise strenuously for a while after you've given blood, so it does put a damper on your calorie budget for a day or two. You have to take care of your body, so trying to maintain a full deficit after blood loss while eating more and not exercising is a bad combination.

I usually give myself an extra 300 kcal for the day of the donation and the next day.