Spinning lovers!

Options
I started spinning almost 2 months ago and am addicted! It has gotten me over my hatred for cardio workouts

Replies

• TealRose21
    TealRose21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed much change in your weight/ size since starting. Be just started doing RPM
  • Lifting_Runner
    Lifting_Runner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love spinning!! It's an amazing cardio workout and great for the legs.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love spin! I only go once a week at the moment but used to go twice. I could go more but I don't like the instructors on the other days and prefer other classes.

Such a great burn and I can feel my glutes working away.
  • Acrawford01
    Acrawford01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The way our classes are around here is a dance style. You go by the beat of the music and your instructor tells you the resistance you should be at during each song and each section of the song.
    I have lost some and have noticed my body changing... more muscle tone, leaner/longer muscles... of course endurance is much greater than when I started.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    How long did it take for your butt cheeks to stop hurting? I tried spinning once....never again
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    Haha! I was really sore just about everywhere below my waste for like 6 classes than my body acclimated. At first, spinning causes more than just muscle soreness that's for sure but once you get past that, it's such a great workout.
    I go with a friend and that really makes it fun as well... we suffered together!
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I do spinning. Stronger legs, weight loss, slimmer thighs yet long sexy muscles and much more benefits. Totally recommend it.
  • J_Ley
    J_Ley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went to my first spin class today. It was a great workout, and I'd like to do it again, but I was so uncomfortable in the seat, and am still hurting! Do padded shorts or leggings help with this? My instructor said to give it 3 times, and I'd adjust to it, but I'd like to try something that might help before going through that again!

Also, is it normal to go slowly on hills, especially if your resistance is high? I tried keeping up my RPM on hills, and found that I could stay standing for longer if I slowed down quite a bit. Are you supposed to slow down, or is this something that comes easier with practice?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Spinning is an excellent way to keep in shape during the winter when I'm less inclined to ride outside. I just wish they held the classes around here at better times so I could actually go to one.

BTW - I wear padded cycling shorts and shoes with cleats, just like I do when I cycle outside, and I've only ever experienced mild discomfort on a spin bike.

It also helps to ensure that the bike is set up correctly for you.
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    I found that after about 6 classes and having the bike set up for me, I was set and no longer sore. Shoes also make a big difference. My feet were sore especially in the center and my toes would go numb. The shoes helped a ton.
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I play around with my spinning workout.
    Flat spin
    mountain biking / standing
    high resistance
    HIIT

I use gears also. I recommend going to pinterest and search for spinning drills
    I also found benefit in listening to workout music around 160+ bpm
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I prefer the day when they do hills. I just had surgery on my leg and can't wait to be cleared to go back.
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    I have yet to try HIIT... what is that class like?
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I, too, love Spinning. I started going to classes regularly in June. I Spin 4-5 times a week now and definitely notice a difference in my body composition. I am losing weight, too, but slowly (I am trying to get those last 5 pounds off from my original goal and then will access to see if in want to lose more or just maintain). After a few classes, your butt will not hurt, although my instructors spend very little time in the saddle, so that could be why. Cycling shoes definitely have helped me get more power, use my entire leg, and burn ridiculous calories (500-675 per class). I like that each instructor has their own ride style and music selections, so I am not getting bored. I also feel I'm getting a good mix of heavy resistance and HIIT due to this. It's weird, I can't wait for the end of the class to come like halfway through , but once it comes, I wish there was one more song.
  • law102189
    Options
    J_Ley wrote: »
    I went to my first spin class today. It was a great workout, and I'd like to do it again, but I was so uncomfortable in the seat, and am still hurting! Do padded shorts or leggings help with this? My instructor said to give it 3 times, and I'd adjust to it, but I'd like to try something that might help before going through that again!

Also, is it normal to go slowly on hills, especially if your resistance is high? I tried keeping up my RPM on hills, and found that I could stay standing for longer if I slowed down quite a bit. Are you supposed to slow down, or is this something that comes easier with practice?

Keep going, you will adjust and get addicted! I try to ride "heavy" with high resistance even though it does slow me down a bit. I believe I burn more calories. In some classes; however, I am trying to resist the urge to add more weight because the workout is supposed to be all about RPMs.

Good luck!
  • law102189
    Options
    I started spinning almost 2 months ago and am addicted! It has gotten me over my hatred for cardio workouts

I know what you mean. I used to run, but never really enjoyed it. I tried doing combination sprint, jog on the treadmill but dreaded it. I am not coordinated enough for dance cardio classes. I liked the Arc trainer better but 45 minutes seemed like an eternity. Spin classes go fast. Even on days when I'm just not into it, I just remind myself of how fast the class will go and the long term benefits I'll get from pushing through.
  • law102189
    Options
    TealRose21 wrote: »
    Have you noticed much change in your weight/ size since starting. Be just started doing RPM

I have lost about 12lbs since I started to Spin regularly in May/June. I didn't do measurements when I started, but since January I've lost almost 45 lbs and went from pants size 14 to 8/10. Definitely seeing results in my legs and butt. Getting nice definition in my calves and thighs. I'm even more excited that I am finally seeing my stubborn belly flab disappearing. Maybe tight abs aren't out of the question after all!
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    J_Ley wrote: »

This is what I love about the classes that are offered at my gym. It is all about keeping rhythm/beat with the song so you always know how slow or fast you should be going. The instructor will tell you how heavy your resistance should be.
    I also think it is natural at first to slow down on the hills and with more resistance but as you get stronger you will be able to push through those climbs. I have noticed a big difference with my strength and am able to kick up the resistance more and more!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Alarae21 wrote: »
    I love spin! I only go once a week at the moment but used to go twice. I could go more but I don't like the instructors on the other days and prefer other classes.

Such a great burn and I can feel my glutes working away.

Same. I could go every day Mon-Thurs and Saturday morning, but there's only one teacher that I really like! There are a couple of them that just can't keep the beat during jumps, or don't explain what's going on, or have the same music and workout every time...

I do love Spin, though. It's a really great calorie burn. I don't do it for the muscles, though...that's what lifting is for!
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    I know this will sound odd but had anyone ever seen spinning shoes that do not have clips?