water? 8 cups-- really?

Options

Replies

• AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you exercise daily. The main thing is that you are trying to flush out the impurities in your body. 8 Cups is the average of what's needed to maintain a good balance. I know it's gross, but a good indicator is that if your urine is anything far from clear, say, a dark yellow/orange colour, then you are not drinking enough water. Water helps keep you hydrating and alert and prevents headaches, cramps, and pollutant buildup. (Which can be seen from dark coloured urine.)

I work out 2 hours a day...
    I usually drink 3 cups of ACTUAL pure water (without flavoring)
    AND MY PEE IS NEVER DARK ALWAYS CLEAR?!

what gives?
    Then you're fine. 8 cups is a benchmark, and as one member posted earlier, a glass of water probably contains anywhere from 2-3 cups of water. I'm sure you're fine. Different people need different amounts of everything, including water.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Yup, I'm still peeing every 20 minutes. I've been on ambulance calls and asked to use the patients bathroom. But like they say ... your body will adjust. I also try not to get into the habit of waiting until the last minute causing me to run, hop, skip, to the bathroom.

Clear pee is good

And I agree with Sarah - certain supplements make it yellow but I know the reason why.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm still peeing every 20 minutes. I've been on ambulance calls and asked to use the patients bathroom. But like they say ... your body will adjust. I also try not to get into the habit of waiting until the last minute causing me to run, hop, skip, to the bathroom.

Clear pee is good

And I agree with Sarah - certain supplements make it yellow but I know the reason why.

lol energy drinks do that too because they also have a lot of weird vitamins in them if you look at the label, but ya multivitamins scare me. my pee is like NEON lol.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    lol I drink about 9-12 cups a day and visit the bathroom often :smile: but after about a week it calms down now its back to normal
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, this is a SOOOOO important subject.

Water is the basic building block of life. You're body can't do jack without water, and plenty of it.

Drinking water does quite a few things for people trying to lose weight:

Helps keeps you "regular". Trust me on this, not enough water on a low carb/higher protein diet = Backed up like a mofo.
    Helps you not be too sore after a workout.
    Helps you to keep your energy flowing during a workout. Hydrated muscles work better, plain and simple.
    Helps you to build muscle. You can't build muscle without ample supply of water.
    Helps you with hunger cravings. Many times when you think you are hungry - You are thirsty.
    Helps flush out any extra "toxins" you accumulate.
    Helps keep your immune system functioning well. This is important when you think about all the nasty shiit all over the gym...
    Helps your liver repair after a binge drink night. (That might be just me....)

I drink upwards of 1.25 GALLONS of water a day. Nothing better for you. DRINK.

How do you not pop? I just thought of drinking one and a quarter milk jugs full of water and felt sick. (Though I do know that drinking it over a period of time is tolerable, ha.)
  • gf320
    gf320 Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink 32 oz before I eat anything in the morning, it gets pretty crazy. I've peed like 10 times today. But I feel a lot better!
  • hannahbaby417
    Options

Pretty sure it's not just you.
  • riccimua
    riccimua Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Water can be addicting actually! Your body gets used to it (no really it does) and you will pee less and less your body is just detoxing . I drink about 12 cups a day and honestly if I go below 8 c. I get headaches!! Crazy right!! and YES you can count Crystal Light as your water intake!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I suffer from constant migraines. Life sucks during a migraine. Life doesn't even happen during a migraine. Today, I was getting a headache. It had symptoms coming with it warning of oncoming migraine. I was so angry at it (the headache, lol) that I drank 2 bottles of water. I said I WILL NOT take medicine tonight. I am tired of pills and medicine every day for my horrible head! So I drank those 2 bottles, I worked out, I drank 2 more bottles. And as I was sitting here typing and reading ... I realized, my headache is gone!

TLDR: water helps calm headaches :happy:
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Oh wow, this is a SOOOOO important subject.

Water is the basic building block of life. You're body can't do jack without water, and plenty of it.

Drinking water does quite a few things for people trying to lose weight:

Helps keeps you "regular". Trust me on this, not enough water on a low carb/higher protein diet = Backed up like a mofo.
    Helps you not be too sore after a workout.
    Helps you to keep your energy flowing during a workout. Hydrated muscles work better, plain and simple.
    Helps you to build muscle. You can't build muscle without ample supply of water.
    Helps you with hunger cravings. Many times when you think you are hungry - You are thirsty.
    Helps flush out any extra "toxins" you accumulate.
    Helps keep your immune system functioning well. This is important when you think about all the nasty shiit all over the gym...

I drink upwards of 1.25 GALLONS of water a day. Nothing better for you. DRINK.

How do you not pop? I just thought of drinking one and a quarter milk jugs full of water and felt sick. (Though I do know that drinking it over a period of time is tolerable, ha.)

Water helps flush out the fiber that you have eaten. Fiber is something that your body can't absorb. It acts like a collector as is passes through your digestive system but it can also get stuck in your bowels and cause a blockage. If you have a high fiber diet then you need to drink plenty of water. Water makes every thing better. Try switching to a reusable water bottle (32 oz and refill it 2 times a day). That way you know how much you drink.

I refill my 32 oz water bottle 4-5 times a day. I crave water now that Im used to it. You have to get over the " I have to pee too often". If you eat full serving of fruit and veggies are you going to complain because you went to #2 a few times in a day? Prob not. If you are using this site and posting then you are trying to be healthy or change your life style. Drinking your recommended water is part of the change.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I drink between 6 to 8 cups (always striving for 8!) and I think my body is getting used to it, as others have said. I also drink one to two pints when I first wake up, before I do anything else (exercise or even eat!), and I always add lemon juice to my water. I find that I can't drink it too cold, so I keep the water filter outside of the fridge. I'll also count unsweetened tea as water. I hope this helps!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I drink a minimum of 160 oz (16 cups) a day and if I'm out in the heat I get over 200 oz in. The first week my exercise came from bathroom trips! But now the trips have gone back to what they used to be for the most part.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    Yeah the whole hunger thing has really proven itself to be thirst a lot of the times with me now that I always have a bottle on the go. One minute my stomach is growling raging cause it wants food. And I go oh hail no, down some water and it just kinda, ya know. shuts up.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Water can be addicting actually! Your body gets used to it (no really it does) and you will pee less and less your body is just detoxing . I drink about 12 cups a day and honestly if I go below 8 c. I get headaches!! Crazy right!! and YES you can count Crystal Light as your water intake!!

Sooooooo true!! I drink about a gallon and a half of water daily, no sodas or energy drinks here. I actually CRAVE water! I haven't had a soda in over 3 years and do not miss them at all. I usually have a glass of iced tea, unsweetened, around noon. The rest of the day, pure H20 for me, especially in the 100 degree plus daily temperatures we have been experiencing in TX this year!!
    :wink:
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would count your 32 oz. of Crystal Light - and right there you've met 1/2 of your daily requirement. 1 cup = 8 oz. I used to think it was 8 glasses. I just can't hang with that daily. But 8 actual cups (64 oz.), no biggy.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I drink 100+ oz a day. I have a 20oz bottle (that's really pretty small!! ) and my goal is to refill it at 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 7pm and as needed during my workouts. The bottle at home is 32 oz's, so I often go over the 100oz's.

It helps me feel full, keeps me from being dehydrated (nastiest feeling in the world!), keeps my skin clear and youthful looking, and flushes my system out.

Love my water! I don't count anything as water but water.

Oh and I use the facilities a lot...so what? LOL!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I drink an average of 3 litres of water per day plus 3-4 mugs of coffee (black) and possibly a couple of mugs of peppermint tea if I'm trying to avoid food!

I have been doing this for over 20 years since I heard it would help clear my skin. it didn't but skin didn't get any worse and I think the overall health benefits were good!! I don't go to the toilet any more than 'normal'!

B x
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    My household we buy Ice Mountain bottled water, the 23.7 oz. which is roughly 3 cups of water. I try to drink 3-5 bottles a day. I don't like the taste of tap water, for some reason it just doesn't taste right. Probably because we didn't have tap water from our fridge for like 6 years, and we just bought bottled. But 3-5 bottles usually makes me feel good. I just take a bottle with me in my purse, and if im bored i just drink it. Yes you do pee alot, like i do constantly, but once you work out and replenish your body with the right amount of water you usually lose the constant peeing sensation. Keep trying, it'd defiantly make you feel good.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I drink two 32 oz water bottles a day plus a 16 oz water bottle when I workout at night. If I don't then I retain water like crazy... and I know when I've not been drinking my water because like a day or two after I start again, I have one big pee and then thats it and it goes back to normal... and I'm back to peeing like 3 times a day.

I know that when I first started drinking though, i literally considered moving into my bathroom for a few days because I was peeing so much... I was like when is it ever going to end?!