Not losing weight despite calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• StinkyCheeze
    StinkyCheeze Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How about of I start eating one plain sandwich a day and bump my exercise to 3 hours a day. Will that convince you that I'm definitely not overeating?
  • StinkyCheeze
    StinkyCheeze Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    male or female?

Ok. And some days I only eat 1200-1300. So again, very confusing. I have IBD anyways so I rarely get hungry and don't eat much to begin with.

if you rarely get hungry or didn't overeat, then you wouldn't have gained weight.....

Research IBD because nausea and vomiting are common symptoms (which I both experience). Hence, why I can go long without eating and why I start out with a tiny breakfast. Sometimes i skip it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    male or female?

Ok. And some days I only eat 1200-1300. So again, very confusing. I have IBD anyways so I rarely get hungry and don't eat much to begin with.

if you rarely get hungry or didn't overeat, then you wouldn't have gained weight.....

Research IBD because nausea and vomiting are common symptoms (which I both experience). Hence, why I can go long without eating and why I start out with a tiny breakfast. Sometimes i skip it.

Right, but at some point you must have been eating too much if you're here at MFP trying to lose weight. You don't gain weight unless you're eating a surprlus of calories, barring certain medical conditions.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello I'm 5'5 and 135 pounds. I'm trying to lose weight but the scale won't move. I have a fitbit and it's synced with MFP. According to fitbit, I burn 2000-2200 calories a day because I'm so active. 10-15k steps a day and 1-2 hours of cardio 5-6 days a week. I consume 1500 calories minimum and 1600 maximum. And there's no way I'm underestimating by several hundred calories, especially since I don't eat calorie dense foods. I eat lots of fruits and veggies along with proteins like eggs and tuna. My snacks are low calorie especially pickles. And I use soy sauce on meats and other cooked dishes instead of calorie dense sauces. And use vinaigrette dressings on salads instead of ranch, and unsweetened almond milk instead of regular. Also, salsa and/or hummus in tuna sandwiches instead of mayo. And cottage cheese with fruit instead of ice cream. What's going on? The scale won't budge.

You are already at a normal weight for your height. Any weight you do lose will come off slowly.

If you are not losing weight at all, but not gaining, then this means you are eating at maintenance. Bottom line: you are eating too much to lose weight.

It's doubtful to me that your calories to lose weight is 2000-2200 calories a day, even with your cardio. I suspect you are overestimating calorie burns by a few hundred calories each day.

Food type has zilch to do with weight loss. You lose weight by eating less than you burn of any food you like.

Weigh every single solid food you eat, measure all liquids, eat only half your exercise calories back, and be judicious about staying within your calorie goals and you will lose weight. Guaranteed. :)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This. And stop using measuring cups and spoons unless you're measuring pure liquids. Use a food scale for everything solid and semi solid, and weigh your prepackaged foods as there can be around 20% error of margin with those as well.
  • GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Pickles? Soy sauce? Have you considered tracking your sodium? In the absence of other issues (you don't say how long you've been at this, your diary isn't open, etc.), you might be retaining water.

Almost 3 weeks :(

Only 3 weeks? I'd give it more time. Your body has to adjust to your new diet.

But I think water retention is a real concern. Most people have way too much salt in their diet, and don't even realize it. The FDA recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams of salt a day, but many people, who are on salt restricted diets, like myself, try to keep it sodium intake below 1,500 milligrams a day. Here's some links that might help explain better:

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Sodium-and-Salt_UCM_303290_Article.jsp
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the closer you are to goal ,the slower the weight loss is going to be anyway. if you arent gaining I would say thats a plus. no need to be negative about what others are saying they are trying to help.if you dont want to take anything they say into consideration then keep doing what you are doing keep on getting nowhere fast. its like running in a hampster wheel and you arent moving or getting anywhere.I didnt believe that measuring cups and spoons werent accurate either ,but you learn the hard way fast when you do start weighing food.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    How about of I start eating one plain sandwich a day and bump my exercise to 3 hours a day. Will that convince you that I'm definitely not overeating?

People really are trying to help by addressing the most common issues for why people aren't losing weight. The main one is underestimating intake. The other, to a lesser extent, is over-estimating calories out.

You came here asking for advice and people are giving it. No need to be snarky. Most of us have been where you are more than once. I certainly have. We're trying to help you learn from our mistakes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything you're eating is high sodium. Have you been tracking sodium? If so, how much are you averaging everyday?
    I'm 603g over in sodium today, so I'm expecting a jump on the scale tomorrow morning. But it wont be fat weight, just normal water retention.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    chmckernan wrote: »
    I'm not the OP, but I want to thank everyone for their advice here. I got a lot out of it. Pulling my scale out to start weighing everything.

Yay!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    chmckernan wrote: »
    I'm not the OP, but I want to thank everyone for their advice here. I got a lot out of it. Pulling my scale out to start weighing everything.

I love you! <3
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. I stopped syncing my fitbit to MFP, its confusing & can be misleading.
    2. Too much sodium & water retention, like everybody else said.
    3. And you might wanna take a look at this... Each individual has a different reaction to a caloric deficit. Maybe your metabolism has slowed down with your deficit?
    Then its time for "Refeed" day. You can google more about it, but in summary, its eating more calories, and when i say that, i meant Carbs (not a CHEAT day) for a day or two, double your carb intake, to re-stimulate Leptin. Then go back to your deficit calories. You should see a "renewed" weight/fat loss rate.
    Good luck. ✌