...anybody gain weight in their first week?

Options
Son of a basset hound. I gained weight this first week.

Replies

• AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It'll happen after working out/changing your diet. Your body is adjusting. It is also likely that you are experiencing water retention. DON'T PANIC!
    DRINK WATAH!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Some people do, yep! Especially if you exercised intensely this week, like more than you did prior.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It could be due to water retention if you're (paradoxically enough) not drinking enough water. Maybe open your diary for more detailed help?

And remember that a week is only a little bit in the span of a long, healthy lifetime. Results take time, and there's always the adage that you don't gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time, so you can't expect to lose it in a short amount of time. I hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    When I worked out hard core I gained like 4 lbs figures it was water. But I lost it a few days later :)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Where do I open up my diary?
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    your losing fat but you are gaining muscle use a tape measure not a scale
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Where do I open up my diary?

My Home --> Settings --> Diary Settings, and change to "Public," if you don't mind others looking at yours. I know that some people are very self conscious about their food diary, and everyone has that right, but it might help to figure out why you've gained. On the other hand, however, it's only been a week. I think that I usually get the most and best help when others (who have much more experience and knowledge than me!) look at it.

And ditto to the above post, because your body could just be readjusting itself. It's definitely possible (and probable) to lose inches instead of pounds.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    done and done. I pretty much figured out my answer. I'm very in-consistent with my water intake. One day it's a lot, the other it's not nearly enough. That, and I was just very active this week. Oddly enough, just because that's how the week seemed to go, I didn't make a big enough conscious effort work out.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, and the water thing seems to be spot-on. Another thing that may be affecting water retention is sodium intake. You might want to track that for the first couple of weeks, because sometimes packaged foods have way more sodium than we'd think that they would. Glad you figured out a solution, and good luck!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Thank you Miss :)
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agree with the sodium. This is something I have a hard time with!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Does drinking more water affect the sodium levels on the diary as well?
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Happened to me. I started drinking more water and that made it worse. Idk what to do,
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes! I worked out twice with a personal trainer. I exercised muscles I didn't know I had. After those two sessions some of my muscles seemed pumped up, but my whole body was horribly bloated and the scale was up 5 lbs. It seems obvious now that I know what it was, but it didn't at the time since it was pretty much my whole body and the core and everything. But after some googling I realized what happened. I shocked the muscles. They swelled up with fluid, like any muscle would when it considers itself "injured." It goes away fast, and subsequent workouts don't do it anywhere near as much. Hoping it will go away entirely with time and perseverance.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't know about diary wise but drinking water helps your body get rid of excess sodium.
  • Rbarragato
    Rbarragato Posts: 15
    Options
    Ugh, stepped on the scale today after a week on this site--gained 3.5 lbs. I want to cry right now.