Not losing weight despite calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think.
    You're burning less calories than you think.
    Combination of the above.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think.
    You're burning less calories than you think.
    Combination of the above.

Exactly....most likely both...OP...weigh everything, every single thing, on a food scale. And if you can afford one, get yourself some form of activity tracker, so you can be as accurate as possible regarding your Calories In/Calories Out.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Since it's been less than three weeks, it's quite possible that OP is eating within her calorie limit, but experiencing water weight fluctuations. Many women gain water weight right at ovulation, and find that the weight comes off after their TOM. Do give it a full month to see if the weight moves after all.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    If you are working out as much as you say you are, then youre not eating enough.
  • csg76
    csg76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you considered you might have a problem with your metabolism?
    I have, and I cannot loose any weight at all. The problem is that when your metabolism is very low the foods you eat will not be used by your body and then it will just be made into fat and stored. No matter how much you exercise you will not loose weight - actually you might just keep gaining weight until you get this problem under control.
    Just a thought :-)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If OP is at healthy BMI range of 22, she does not have a problem with metabolism.
    and she isnt keeping gaining weight - she just isnt losing it.

I think Op's biggest problem is in thinking she needs to lose weight at all - if one has a BMI of 22, then one is at a healthy weight already and should move on to goals of fitness/body toning etc rather than weight loss.

If one wants to - or just eat at maitenance, which OP is doing ,and stay at a healthy weight.

But I'm not sure about all this figuring out why you are not losing weight when you dont need to lose weight anyway.

Yep, all of this. I never understand why people project their own medical issues upon every post on these threads, bringing up things that are clearly not relevant for this person.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    csg76 wrote: »
    I have, and I cannot loose any weight at all. The problem is that when your metabolism is very low the foods you eat will not be used by your body and then it will just be made into fat and stored. No matter how much you exercise you will not loose weight - actually you might just keep gaining weight until you get this problem under control.

This is not how it works. Why would your body store energy as fat rather than use it for survival? It seems like hibernating animals seem to reduce their bmr, but this is for survival and not to store more food as fat. Plus hibernation is not found in apes. Quite simple: if TO would be converting food into fat she would starve. Do you think that's likely?
  • Becknet123
    Becknet123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm 5'5 and 135 pounds. I'm trying to lose weight but the scale won't move. I have a fitbit and it's synced with MFP. According to fitbit, I burn 2000-2200 calories a day because I'm so active. 10-15k steps a day and 1-2 hours of cardio 5-6 days a week. I consume 1500 calories minimum and 1600 maximum. And there's no way I'm underestimating by several hundred calories, especially since I don't eat calorie dense foods. I eat lots of fruits and veggies along with proteins like eggs and tuna. My snacks are low calorie especially pickles. And I use soy sauce on meats and other cooked dishes instead of calorie dense sauces. And use vinaigrette dressings on salads instead of ranch, and unsweetened almond milk instead of regular. Also, salsa and/or hummus in tuna sandwiches instead of mayo. And cottage cheese with fruit instead of ice cream. What's going on? The scale won't budge.

• Becknet123
    Becknet123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I had to stop exercising for awhile. Then when I started back I only worked out 3 days a week instead of 7. I started taking kelp every morning and every night. I had overworked my thyroid so I found ways to nourish it so I could get back on track. Hope this was helpful for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

did you even attempt to read any of this thread? :(
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

The word "metabolism" is a four-letter word on this site. So for example, every 5' 6" 150-pound woman who eats the same calorie restricted diet (eat whatever you want) and gets the same amount of exercise will lose the same amount of weight over a given period of time (say three months). Really?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 135 pounds and my TDEE is 2200 so it doesn't sound crazy to me (and I'm 38!).

But OP, you're eating more than you think. You're saying that you use vinaigrette instead of ranch on your salads... but guess what, it's 120 calories a tablespoon of oil. And bread, I can easily get 250-300 calories in two slices. Hummus is probably easy to underestimate too if you don't weigh it (same with cottage cheese), and yeah, TV dinners calories can be off by 30% or something...

So I guess you're right though - cut down to 1200 calories, then you'll really be eating 1500 and maybe you'll lose (I can lose on 1800, by the way.. but I weigh everything).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is too high...forget the pickles and soy sauce... Believe it or not.. lowering sodium will help lose weight. Weight loss sites like this don't talk about it - it isn't mainstream.

i did the six week body makeover years ago.. and lost all my weight in 8 weeks.. i think most in part, due to no sodium. I had to make all my own sauces and marinades from wine, vinegar ..limes.. but no salt or processed packaged foods. At the time, i truly thought the very low sodium allowed my body to lose the weight.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Bojemoy wrote: »
    1. I stopped syncing my fitbit to MFP, its confusing & can be misleading.
    2. Too much sodium & water retention, like everybody else said.
    3. And you might wanna take a look at this... Each individual has a different reaction to a caloric deficit. Maybe your metabolism has slowed down with your deficit?
    Then its time for "Refeed" day. You can google more about it, but in summary, its eating more calories, and when i say that, i meant Carbs (not a CHEAT day) for a day or two, double your carb intake, to re-stimulate Leptin. Then go back to your deficit calories. You should see a "renewed" weight/fat loss rate.
    Good luck. ✌

This is really poor advice. Do not follow.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is too high...forget the pickles and soy sauce... Believe it or not.. lowering sodium will help lose weight.
    No, sodium has nothing to do with weight loss/gain, but it does cause water retention. By the way, did you know some people can't have low sodium due to medical issues?
    Weight loss sites like this don't talk about it - it isn't mainstream.
    Right......

No, stuff like this is mainstream among those who believe in the woo of weight loss. There's a lot of threads here about this type of stuff, it just gets debunked pretty quickly by the crowd who knows that water retention is normal and will wax and wane, but is not actual fat gain.
    i did the six week body makeover years ago.. and lost all my weight in 8 weeks.. i think most in part, due to no sodium. I had to make all my own sauces and marinades from wine, vinegar ..limes.. but no salt or processed packaged foods. At the time, i truly thought the very low sodium allowed my body to lose the weight.
    Sounds interesting....but this is not the reason you lost weight. Setting aside any water from lowering your sodium, you lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit. ;)

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    If you are working out as much as you say you are, then youre not eating enough.

Yes, I'm guessing this is exactly what OP wanted hear! But.....no, that is not how this works. If OP was eating less than she burns she would be losing weight.