How often to work out? Is routine still effective at building muscle? P

Options
Stingersquad1981
Stingersquad1981 Posts: 21 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Good Morning. Is it ok to take 2 days off working out during the week? Right now my schedule looks like this M-W-F-SA-SU. If I miss one of those days due to being too tired or feeling lazy, I just make it up the next day, miss Monday, go Tuesday and so forth. My question is, is that effective to build muscle and keep metabolism going? Right now for workout I combine 30 minutes of jogging with 1 mile of sprints at 9.5 mph at 3% incline for cardio and for weights I will do 2 muscle groups a day 10 sets of 10 reps (German volume).

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely fine to take off two days.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I used to not take enough days off, and I would exercise through fatigue and what not..

So yes to two days off!
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Taking rest days are just as important as training days- your body and mind need that time to recover. So yes! It's good that you're taking off!
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you're doing GVT correctly you're going to need 2 off days for your muscles to recover and rebuild properly. I did a 6 week cycle of GVT and NEEDED 2 days off or my workouts suffered the following week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, you should allow your body to rest and recovery so you can make the gains. Second, your metabolism is always going. If it stops, you are dead. And taking rest won't make it slow down. Third, how the hell are you running after GVT?
  • Stingersquad1981
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    If you're doing GVT correctly you're going to need 2 off days for your muscles to recover and rebuild properly. I did a 6 week cycle of GVT and NEEDED 2 days off or my workouts suffered the following week.

What is GVT?
  • Stingersquad1981
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »

What is GVT?

German volume sorry I am slow
  • Stingersquad1981
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    First, you should allow your body to rest and recovery so you can make the gains. Second, your metabolism is always going. If it stops, you are dead. And taking rest won't make it slow down. Third, how the hell are you running after GVT?

I don't run after so I run 2.5 to 3 miles before and than while I am banging sets I use the 45-60 seconds rest time to sprint .12 to .15 of a mile, I do it 10 times, since I superset my GVT ( for instance 10 reps of bench press 10 reps of Lat pull down and sprint)
  • theGarinator
    theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 or 5 times a week, an hour at a time. Sometimes I will do my kettlebell cardio in the morning right when I get up, and later in the day will go for a run/jog/walk routine for about 40 minutes. It looks like I'm taking every other day off. The last 8 days I've been exercising every day, sometimes twice, then I took off 3 days. Now I'm going to be more sensible and exercise every other day. I like to burn at least 500 calories per exercise/day. If I cycle, I will burn 800 calories and that will be the only exercise I'll do in 48hrs. I like my Garmin FR15 for my walk/activity so I'm being mobile at least, and if I'm feeling antsy I will turn on Run/Walk function. I use my Garmin 305 for my cycling.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I don't run after so I run 2.5 to 3 miles before and than while I am banging sets I use the 45-60 seconds rest time to sprint .12 to .15 of a mile, I do it 10 times, since I superset my GVT ( for instance 10 reps of bench press 10 reps of Lat pull down and sprint)

Are you making up your own version of GVT?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I believe you mean torture.
  • Stingersquad1981
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not on the weights part, GVT involves 10 sets of 10 reps of a single exercise at 80% Of the weight per muscle group at a time. What I am throwing in there are the sprints and the fact that I don't only do one exercise at a time, I superset it. The only problem is that I alternate between squats and 300 push ups in conjunction with the weights, so I am absolutely dead by 1700 everyday. The sad part is that I had Some injuries a couple years back and the medicine I was put on made me gain 50 lbs. I can't shake the weigh off, I eat 1500 calories/day and nothing...that is disheartening...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How many days is up to the individual.

Find a program that fits your schedule.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Not on the weights part, GVT involves 10 sets of 10 reps of a single exercise at 80% Of the weight per muscle group at a time. What I am throwing in there are the sprints and the fact that I don't only do one exercise at a time, I superset it. The only problem is that I alternate between squats and 300 push ups in conjunction with the weights, so I am absolutely dead by 1700 everyday. The sad part is that I had Some injuries a couple years back and the medicine I was put on made me gain 50 lbs. I can't shake the weigh off, I eat 1500 calories/day and nothing...that is disheartening...

No wonder you are broken by 1700 each day, you aren't fulling enough on 1500kcal a day for the training that you are doing.

I'd also doubt it was true GVT, if you are sprint after each superset it is unlikely you are pushing 80% for 10 reps, its likely to be a lot lower. Where are the 300 push ups coming from 10 x 10 is 100?
  • psuLemon
    Options

No wonder you are broken by 1700 each day, you aren't fulling enough on 1500kcal a day for the training that you are doing.

I'd also doubt it was true GVT, if you are sprint after each superset it is unlikely you are pushing 80% for 10 reps, its likely to be a lot lower. Where are the 300 push ups coming from 10 x 10 is 100?

That is where I was kind of going with it. True GVT is absolutely brutal and won't allow for supersets. I almost died with GVT and GBC for that reason. And I agree, for a male 1500 is crazy low.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Why in the blue hell would you try to do GVT while losing weight? It's a bulking method.

a) Figure out your main goal - lose weight, or build muscle.
    b) Follow a plan as written - don't F with it - that helps you meet that goal.
    c) Eat appropriately to help meet that goal.
    d) Reassess your goal as time goes on.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Why in the blue hell would you try to do GVT while losing weight? It's a bulking method.

If the OP likes that style of training (aka pure punishment), I would recommend German Body Composition. I almost cried several times and it was all dumbbells.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm an old guy (66) and old guys need more rest. I work out "light" 3-4x's/wk and heavy only 2x's/wk with 3-4 days in between. Still making progress lifting heavier doing this.

Point being, OP, take as much rest as YOU need to sufficiently recover between sessions, so that YOU can continue to make progress. Some trial and error will be involved in doing so, because what works for otbers will not necessarily work for YOU.

Good luck!
  • Stingersquad1981
    Options

Not on the weights part, GVT involves 10 sets of 10 reps of a single exercise at 80% Of the weight per muscle group at a time. What I am throwing in there are the sprints and the fact that I

I never said I did 10 sets of 10 push-ups those are divided in set of 45. As far as my stamina if you knew what I do for a living you would understand
  • Stingersquad1981
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Bulking? I am trying to lose the weight I gained from my PTSD diagnosis. As far as gaining muscle "bulking" that doesn't bother me