Isogenics, Thrive, Shakology,ETC

Options
Hello, I'm not new to MFP, I've used this app on and off for about 3-4 years, but I've never really dedicated myself to any fitness or diet regimen... but I'm going to be 50 next year, and I've slowly eaten my way up to a very unhealthy level of weight... I don't want to be that 50 year old that looks like they have given up taking care of themselves. I've battled with weight, all of my life, and even when I've gotten control, after a few years, I slide right back to where I do not like being.

Recently I have been approached by a couple of people that believe in their product, and feel like it may not only help with weight loss but also provide the additional energy and clarity I used to have when I was under 45 years old. I want that back so bad, and I am thinking about trying the Isogenix program for the one month ( money back guarantee?)

What I am wondering is if anyone out there actually has tried this program out, and how did it work for you? I am willing to give it a go, but the initial bundle is a little pricey... and I do understand that there is no magic formula, and it all takes dedication and focus and of course good choices. I've read many conflictin reports on the contents of the products, so I'm researching this before I do anything.... naturally, I cannot just search the interenet becuause you just don't know who is saying what and what is their perspective ( are they hoping to gain a new customer?)

Can anyone provide me with an unbiased opinion on the Isogenix products and life style program? I'm not looking to make a living off of the stuff, just trying to make sure that as I enter the second half (or less) of my life, I'm going about it with a maximum effort of achieving good health and maintiaing that life style.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    In your words...I've battled with weight, all of my life

Does a temporary plan (or temporary dietary change) sound like a permanent solution? Will shakes help you figure out why you are overweight?

These products use the word "life style" because of MARKETING. The only life style changes are things you are willing to do forever.

I've battled my weight forever too.....and done many (crappy) temporary diets. But the weight always came back (doh!)

Use MFP as intended. No shortcuts. No gimmicks. Measure & log everything. Build recipes in MFP. It's easy once you get started. Figure out what you can change permanently. Keeping the weight off that I lost is more than half the battle for me.
  • TorontoLass
    TorontoLass Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used it for a month to loose some weight for a Hawaiian vacation and it did work but also because I was very strict on portion control the rest of the day and exercised like crazy. The minute I stopped the weight piled back on and then some. Never again. The ONLY thing that will work long term is eat properly, eat small meals frequently drink lots of water and exercise. The same thing all health and weight loss experts tell us all the time. Your Doctor would be the best person to talk to about this. The hardest part is accepting that there are no shortcuts. Like anything else worth achieving you have to do the work. But you can get organized, plan your shopping, cooking and exercise time and just starting doing it a bit at a time. If I can do it anybody can, trust me. No need to throw away money spend it on your future instead. You are worth it. We are all here to help with the ups and downs if you need us. Best of Luck to All of us.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend you save your money. Just eat at a deficit if you want to lose weight. You don't even have to exercise if you don't want to. Eating at a deficit will cause you to lose weight. However, exercising will help with your overall health.

You don't have to do anything extreme. You don't even have to change how you eat now, just eat less of what you're eating, start walking or swimming or lifting weights or any other form of exercise that seems fun and will help you stick with it long term. That's why I do pole. It's fun and I enjoy it so I stick with it. It's led me to trapeze and silks and maybe one day lyra.

Good luck OP!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Be truly careful what you get yourself into with these schemes. That's all they are - pyramid schemes. As Kimmy72 put it, you just shill it off to others and fake-pretend to believe that it's working for you when it's really not doing anything at all. Also, realize these products aren't approved by the FDA and after doing some extensive research, especially on Advocare, I found that the chemicals they put IN their products you can find in everyday household cleaning products, tires, wood products, etc. I was floored at the findings and can't believe they do not regulate this stuff and pull it from the shelves. There are plenty of multivitamins to give you energy, not to mention a good nights sleep and getting Vitamin D on the daily. Being healthy is a lifestyle change, not purchasing it over a television ad.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't like programs like that. I think you are better off sticking with real food. The truth is any program will probably work if you stick to it 100% because it will amount to low calorie. I don't like MLM programs and overpriced products.

That said, I personally like the taste of Shakeology. I don't sell it, pimp it, think it is a superfood, or think it's needed. I do like the taste of it more than most protein powders I try. I don't use it as a meal replacement. I like to add some to my ezekiel bread french toast, overnight oats, or make protein pancakes with it. Technically I don't think you are supposed to bake with it as it may lose some of the benefits. I eat pretty clean and like the flavor it adds to some of my breakfast options.

It is not a fat burning drink. You will not lose weight drinking it. And I would always rather go with real food than a protein supplement. But I have a sweet tooth and this kind of gives me my dessert "fix" without destroying my nutrition. I used to have Dannon fat free vanilla greek yogurts because it was low calorie until I realized there were 18g of sugar in that little cup. So I started looking for something where I could get that dessert flavor that was low in fat grams, low in sugar, and not artificial.

I like the chocolate, vanilla, and cafe latte Shakeology flavors. I like the packets I can grab when I travel. But this is only a product I use on occasion, begrudgingly. I think it tastes yummy. I don't think the actual product itself is a scam, but I think the pricing is ridiculous. I keep looking for a good protein powder option because I don't like supporting MLM products.

And I'd still say stick with real food.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Agree with all of the above posts. The people who believe in their powder/shake/pills/wraps are just trying to push it to make some money, but more importantly get others under them so they will be an "upline". They are all MLMs. There is nothing magical about what they are selling. Stick to a calorie deficit. Weigh your food. Use correct entries (no homemade or generic). Drink water. Move more. Have patience. You will lose.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm not new to MFP, I've used this app on and off for about 3-4 years, but I've never really dedicated myself to any fitness or diet regimen...
    [...]
    I'm not looking to make a living off of the stuff, just trying to make sure that as I enter the second half (or less) of my life, I'm going about it with a maximum effort of achieving good health and maintiaing that life style.

If you're not new here, then you already KNOW what to do in order to lose weight and keep it off. If you really want to put "maximum effort" into living the rest of your life as a fit and healthy woman, then it's time to dedicate yourself to something that's really going to work.

All these products work in pretty much the same way, as far as I can tell - they help you lose weight by creating a calorie deficit for you, without you really having to think about it. That's why they work, and that's why people put the weight back on when they stop using them. Then they think that they can't lose weight without the products, because "it's the only thing that's worked for me!", when really all they need to do is learn portion control and how to create that deficit for themselves.

I've used shakes in the past - not one of those brands you mentioned, but a fairly expensive product that I believed would work because it had for a friend. And it did for me too. And when I stopped using them, my weight slowly crept back up again because I'd learned nothing. Now I'm here, I've learned what to do, and I'm sticking with this method. I'm also 50, and tired of being fat and tired. This is working well for me - I can eat what I like, so long as I don't eat too much of it, and it doesn't cost me a small fortune.

It's not always easy to keep up the determination... motivation gets you started, and seeing results can help, but at the end of the day you have to have determination to keep going. Which I suppose is why so many people like these meal-replacement products. It's easy, you don't have to think about it, you just have to empty your wallet. If you can see yourself doing that for the rest of your life, then go ahead... it probably will work if you keep it up, but why would you want to? Eat real food, just less of it. Exercise a bit as and when you feel able to. There are thousands of people here who've done just that, and been successful in losing their excess weight and keeping it off. Join them! :)
  • rsnodgrass1128
    rsnodgrass1128 Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The ingredients speak for themselves and I personally feel better compared to the days I don't drink it. I personally have noticed a decrease in how much my face breaks out because I'm putting good ingredients into my body rather than trying to grab a donut quickly before work and I did actually lose about 10 pounds drinking it in combination with the workouts. Others may feel differently and that's perfectly fine.

But I will defend Beachbody as a whole because they offer supplements/workout plans, just as other companies like GNC and Bodybuilding.com. Bodybuilding.com offers online workouts that you can bring with you on their app for free. I think it's nice and I've done it before. Personally, I like having the DVDs that Beachbody gives you and I that I can follow the schedule and drink Shakeology. I like videos as opposed to a list of things to do in the gym because it's more fun for me. I think the Shakeology makes things more intentional and helps me be more aware of what I'm consuming. I drink it every day and I do notice a difference. Even if I weren't a Beachbody coach, I would still drink it. I completely understand if it's just not in someone's budget and I'm not going to pretend like money has a never ending supply because people can find cheaper alternatives if they choose to do so.

OP if it's something you want to try, you can always go for it and get a 30 day supply just for the first month. If anyone felt like Shakeology didn't work for them, there's a bottom of the bag guarantee and you can get your refund. But I do encourage people to put their all into the programs. Do the workouts as the calendar shows and follow the meal plan. I find them to be realistic and sustainable.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Beachbody's workouts. I've done many of their workouts and I've loved them and they've helped me get back into the habit of working out regularly. But Shakeology has subpar ingredients for the price.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    More Money =/= More Effective

If you have an extra $100-$200 per month burning a hole in your pocket (or whatever those supplements cost), then spend it on the best quality of food that you *want* to eat. Eat more steak, seafood, fresh vegetables. Buy some kitchen appliances and utensils that last for years and make your diet easier. Improve your skills in the kitchen, improve your logging consistency, maybe get a scale that automatically logs your weight online (can range from $35-$120 or less), get another dedicated device just for logging (cheap spare phone that always has MFP or another logging tool on it). Or just save that money you were going to spend on supplements and buy something that you enjoy, you don't need to spend a lot of money to lose weight. I'm just listing things that would be better than supplements that have not been proven through scientific studies and have been shunned by the community.

Advice on a lifestyle program? Make sure you have a gym membership. Make sure you use it. Resistance training 3x a week (M,W,F is good). Try to do more cardio on days you don't do resistance training at any intensity that makes you feel better.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If someone else, a normal person like me, makes money off something I buy from them to better myself.... then chances are its not something I should be doing.
    My news feed is currently filled by Plexus plugs. I have to bite my tongue so often.
    "Jenny lost 20lbs in 5 months!!" in giant letters... cool, thats 1lb a week. A weight loss of 500 cal deficit / day. *insert eyeroll here* Several hundred dollars to help you get a 500cal deficit?

If it costs you money- above and beyond 1. Food 2. Food Scale - then you dont need it.
    The most important tool you could possibly use....is yourself.
    Meal replacement shakes can be made in your kitchen with whole ingredients.
    Workouts can be found online for free. Its not hard to find some you like and make yourself a work out schedule.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Selling MLM products does not make a person a coach. This terminology is extremely deceptive IMHO.

I work out at Planet Fitness for ten bux a month and I buy protein powder off of Amazon. Personally I like EAS Lean 15 but there are a zillion kinds just depending, which are not the cost of a car payment like MLM products are. Don't waste your money and get sucked into pyramid schemes. Supplementing protein is fine if you can't cram enough of it into your daily calorie allotment, which is the reason why I do it. Or if you get enough calories you may be able to get enough protein just with regular food and not bother with powders/shakes at all.

Spend wisely. There are no magic potions. You can get excellent results frugally. Marketers will say "but aren't you worth the cost?" That's not the point and it's manipulative. So don't fall for that. Save money AND get results.