Feeding those in Need

Options
txfyreflye
txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
So yesterday and today I'm (so far) back on the wagon and downright proud of myself! Let me explain.

Like so many people over fifty, I was taught never to throw away food. I was told, as were so many, that I should eat all the food on my plate because children were starving in other lands. Once I asked my Mom (the world's best promoter of this nonsense) how my eating food helped children in other countries. A terse response: be grateful you have food!

I wasn't grateful. I didn't see how my lima beans helped those children. So, I put mine in an envelope, addressed it
"to the children of China" and stuck it in the mailbox. The next day the mailman found it, gave it to my Mom, and giggled his way to the next house. I, on the other hand, got a spanking for being a rebellious child.

So yesterday I decided to use up a can of sweetened condensed milk before it went bad. I took some 100% cocoa squares, the syrupy goo in a can, and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and tried to make fudge with it. Just an experiment. Chilled it for 3 hours and then decided to try it. Total and complete goop! So soft it was more like a thick spread than a fudge.

"Well, guess this is going byebye," I said.

"I'll eat it," said hubby, as he scarfed down a droopy chunk.

"Oh no you won't!" And I tossed it into the trash.

Me, the queen of thrift and lover of all things chocolate. I threw it away!!!!!!!!

And get this: I didn't feel at all guilty. Because I know what my Mom didn't seem to realize: my getting fat and unhealthy hasn't helped and won't help people in other countries.

So here's my challenge to me.

To help the starving children in other lands, I've decided to buy ONLY groceries that are necessary and, with the exception of special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays, stop eating out. Then take the eating out money I would've spent and send it to a reputable charity to help feed those in need.

Anyone with me?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Well, you posted this twice, so here's my take on that.

Eating more than your fair share is wasteful of the planet's resources and a waste of a human body, which is a sacred, holy thing.

By, "More than your fair share," I mean any more food in a day than you NEED to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Hevenerk
    Hevenerk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is great story, it sounds like something I would have done as a kid. The response from my mother would have been the same too.
    I spent many a night sitting at the dinner table "until I made a happy plate". Now as an adult who has spent most of my life struggling with my weight I realize part of the issue is that I'm unwilling to ever leave any food left on my plate. Armed with this knowledge I have worked hard to do two things. 1 make sure I only put food on my plate that is withing my diet plan. 2 be willing to leave food on the plate if I feel full before it's all gone.

Congrats to you on being able to throw this away, I know it can be hard.
  • txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so very much!

The past few days have been kind of bummy but, for the first time, food did not become my comfort!!!