Calories per day to high?

Options
I am a 69 year old female weighing 205 they have me starting at 1900 calories, isn't that too high to lose weight?

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well, that depends, what activity setting did you input?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    No. But that depends on how tall you are also. If that's what you got stick to it for awhile (a while being 3 weeks or longer). Usually when you start out you have alot of calories you can eat. One of the things I like about Calorie In Calorie Out diets are people realize they don't have to starve themselves to lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, no, maybe :)

We would really need to know your height and activity levels to say. I am going to *guess* that it's too high based on your weight and age but, again, we can't know for sure without more info.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I bet you put down that you are "Moderately active." You almost certainly aren't, according to the official definitions.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    2000 is often given as a very rough amount for an average woman to maintain their weight - as you are 205lbs you are clearly above average.

But there's a huge variance between someone who is sedentary or active.

Try it for a month and see, then you will have the data you need and you can adjust as necessary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is too high? You do know you don't need to starve to lose weight. It would be too high for me - but I am not the same size, age and activity level as you. It might be too little for others. If you entered your info into MFP correctly then I suggest trying it for a while and if you need to adjust after a few weeks you can do so.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What is your height? Your activity level? Did you remember to enter that you want to lose a certain amount of pounds?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Who is "they" in your first post?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Seems reasonable to me. I weigh 25 pounds less than you, am in my mid 50s with a desk job, and I lose about a pound a week if I consistently net 1900 kcal a day.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    I bet you put down that you are "Moderately active." You almost certainly aren't, according to the official definitions.

How would you know that??? My 65 year old neighbour is still actively working as an ER nurse - she sure as heck is moderately active...... What makes you think you know a total stranger's activity level based on her age??

It's not her age. It's that MOST people way overestimate their activity level when they set up their accounts. Some of it is really thinking they do more than they do, but a lot of it is not getting that the definition of "light" and "moderate" in the description is really different from what most people think of as "light" and "moderate."
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Did you set your profile to gain or maintain weight instead of lose weight perhaps?
  • Reamellie
    Reamellie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I felt like mine was too high at 2330 to lose weight, even as big as I am, but I do notice that I lose when I stick within that calorie goal.