Salads yes or no!

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ysoto2014 wrote: »
    Kinda like coffee I feel like people say salads are great and some people say no. My favorite salad is the chicken Caesar but apparently it's horrible to eat due to the dressing. So is there a salad that is a better option? Not a picky eater I usually do a sandwich for lunch but am trying to cut the bread out.

I usually have bread WITH the salad; otherwise it is an unsatisfying meal to me.
  • ysoto2014
    ysoto2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

And people who have a problem with coffee are just a-holes. You don't need that negativity in your life. [/quote]

Hilarious!!!!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I like taco salad, which is basically taco meat over greens, and topped with sour cream and salsa mixed together as the "dressing". I generally like salad, but agree that the dressing can be killer, so I always have it on the side, and then I dip my fork into it, then take a forkful of salad - that way I get the taste but am in complete control of how much of the dressing I get.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Love salad, all kinds. Restaurant ones can be high cal, though, so look at ingredients and consider getting the dressing on the side (or check calories if it's a place that posts them).

I like making my own dressing, as you can control how caloric it is and there are tons of delicious options. My most common ones are pretty low cal (mostly vinegar, although I usually use a little olive oil).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Most of my salads I make myself. I found balsamic reductions and love them! They make great dressings; low cal and low sodium. If I'm out, I stay away from Caesar salads because of the dressing (too high in sodium for me) unless I'm having an IDGAF day. Taco salads are awesome.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I love salads too! I find myself craving them for dinner several times a week. I generally use a tsp of olive oil, balsemic vinegar and a sprinkle of McCormick salad seasoning. When t get a dinner salad at a restaurant I usually ask for dressing on the side and a box so I can put half away for lunch before I start eating, since I like the dressing mixed in with the greens.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I only like salad when I get yummy creamy dressing on it, like bleu cheese or Caesar. Those don't really fit into how I want to have my calories, so I tend to shy away from salads as a meal because they don't really fill me up. Any day I can "win" at calories without having to have a salad I don't want is a major victory for me.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Salads are a battlefield in our house! My other half would eat them every night, I find them boring and unsatisfying without a good deal of goodies on.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ysoto2014 wrote: »
    Kinda like coffee I feel like people say salads are great and some people say no. My favorite salad is the chicken Caesar but apparently it's horrible to eat due to the dressing. So is there a salad that is a better option? Not a picky eater I usually do a sandwich for lunch but am trying to cut the bread out.

Count your calories, everything that goes into a salad adds up. For Ceasar salads, it's usually the croutons and dressing that are a no-go for those watching their calories. Opt for seeds instead of croutons for the crunchiness and use a light version of the dressing. Also, if you like sandwiches, why don't you try a lettuce wrap instead of bread? One of my favorite replacements!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's up to you how many calories are in the salad. Calculate correctly (weigh your dressing or buy individual packets) and you'll know how many calories are in it, and if they're worth it to you.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Salads are difficult for me due to the difficulty in logging all of the individual ingredients, and the fact that I only like full-fat-ranch dressing which is a calorie disaster. I still eat one from time to time, but it causes me to have to make up calories the rest of the day.

Many people seem to think that if they're on a "diet" they should eat salad, and they couldn't be more wrong when they're not watching the serving size of their dressing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I love taco salads, and with salsa used as a dressing, it's pretty easy to fit in my goal (although watch adding things like avocado and cheese).

For another common dressing, I do horseradish mustard mixed with balsamic, and usually some avocado for some fat. I love salads with lots of flavors and ingredients, and as long as you log it properly and it fits in your goals.

And there is nothing worse than a sad salad to me (some lettuce, dressing, and not much else). I've been served a few of those at restaurants and had my day ruined...
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If the salad is the whole meal, then you can afford the calories in the dressing. A humongous bowl of favorite veggies, maybe half an oz of cheese, a few nuts, an oz or so of grilled chicken or turkey, slice in a few strawberries or grapes, and a serving of whatever dressing your heart desires!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken salad, everyone loves it. I don't use a lot of dressing in it, just enough to moisten the chicken. As for green salads, we add whatever vegetables we like to it, like tomatoes, cucumbers, onions celery, mushrooms, olives. I don't put any dressing on mine most of the time, but guacamole is a great topping, so is the hummus. I love pumkin or sunflower seeds on my salads, and feta cheese. So i prefer to load it with other things, rather than dressings. Have to have my salad every night :smiley:
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like salads and love them even more since I discovered Bolthouse farms.They have dressings made out of greek yogurt and the one I love is only 40 calories a serving. It beats all the other high calorie dressings and tastes amazing!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I adore salad, and have (finally) learned to eat it with less dressing. So my salads typically have a bunch of leafy greens, 3-4 oz grilled protein (typically chicken but varies), 28z shredded light cheese, cucumber, red/yellow/orange peppers, a few tortilla strips (14g), and a Tamari sesame dressing that I love. Very tasty and filling, and usually tops out around 400 calories. I eat that at dinner 2x per week at a minimum.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have a romaine base salad, with garbanzo beans, black olives, tomatoes, radishes every night with my protein and veg dinner... a tablespoon of vinaigrette and I'm good to go..
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    that is one slice of tomato, two black olives, one radish sliced and 8 garbanzo beans...on a pile of romaine...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Boo>:( for the calories in a salad that won't satisfy me, I can have several things that will.

Salad or no salad is totally a preference thing. Food isn't good or bad except in the context of an individual diet.