Recommended interval training?

Options
Hello! Here is my story to start (short one)... I'm turning 24 in 2 weeks, weigh around 252 (have no scale so I'm not sure) and have no experience in exercise... My feet hurt really bad lately (thanks to 9 yrs of flat skate shoes) and I don't want to do too much walking or hiking until I get some good shoes (getting some at end of August). I have heard good reviews of interval training and would like to know what your take is about someone like me doing interval training, and if you have any fave videos on youtube for interval training, would you share or suggest any? Thanks :D I personally think this is the best idea for me at this point, since I am most interested in working out at home... btw, I do have an exercise ball and 2 10lb dumbbells... basic stuff

Replies

• Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

if you really have no experience in exercice you might want to start off slowly and not do interval training immediately.
    I'm no expert, so it's only my opinion!

If you don't want to walk (yet) you might want to start with riding a bike or swimming until you've lost some weight. Losing weight will also help your feet, it's not only the bad shoes...
    I know this isn't really working out at home, but it's all I can recommend you.

MM
  • fatjack4134
    Options
    I did interval training at one time but started out really slow.. extremely slow and did simple short interval training. Interval training is not for everyone, bu tit doesn't hurt to try.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    Hey,

if you really have no experience in exercice you might want to start off slowly and not do interval training immediately.
    I'm no expert, so it's only my opinion!

If you don't want to walk (yet) you might want to start with riding a bike or swimming until you've lost some weight. Losing weight will also help your feet, it's not only the bad shoes...
    I know this isn't really working out at home, but it's all I can recommend you.

MM

Yeah... I dont own a bike and I have a water fear... so thats why I'm researching this...
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking it slow for now. Find something you like doing as long as you keep moving. There are loads of youtube videos from zumba to hiphop abs and other fun stuff where you dont feel the exercise as such but still burn loads of calories! Also try and use your dumbells for some strength and weights training. This will help you gain muscle, tone and burn fat faster. :) You will get there, you just gotta start somewhere and believe in yourself. Eating right already makes 80% of the weightloss!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hiya.

firstly welcome to MFP! good for you for making this step. this is the day that will change the rest of your life.

but in answer to your question, if i were you i would start off slowly. i think that heavy duty, well structured interval training is not what you should be starting with. you need to dip your toe in the water, so to speak. one of the things that stops people continuing this journey is pushing too hard to soon, getting all sore and therefore stopping.

so instead of such a structured routine, i'd go with maybe walking on the spot for a few minutes when the ads come on tv. then doing some push ups off the kitchen wall every time you go past- literally just doing more movement. then as you feel a little fitter, you can increase things a bit.

so, yeah. that's what i'd do if i were you. start off making small changes, then gradually add more things in. before you know it you'll be walking around the garden for 10 mins 3x a day, then around the block, etc!

watch your calorie intake too. the food diary here is a really useful place to monitor what you actually eat (not just what you think you eat! i was surprised to learn that some days i was eating as little as 600 cals, then other days i was over 2000 just with snacking).

good luck.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend the Power 90 system (lost 40+ lbs so far), but a better choice would be to contact my sister. She is training to be a personal trainer and is a beachbody coach. Message me if you want her contact info.
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Interval training is certainly a way to lose weight quick! I agree with everyone else out there telling you to take it slow. As for a youtube video for intervals? I'm SURE there is some. But since this is your new life you are working on here, you should make it something you will stick to. Intervals are essentially short bursts of high intensity, so anything could be interval training for you. Use your free weights and do 30 seconds of bicep curls and then do jumping jacks for 15 seconds. Something easy like that. Just go slow so you don't hurt yourself or burn yourself out too quickly and you quit....GOOD LUCK!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking it slow for now. Find something you like doing as long as you keep moving. There are loads of youtube videos from zumba to hiphop abs and other fun stuff where you dont feel the exercise as such but still burn loads of calories!

I agree. I started out using some videos from this site: http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-50-pounds-fast-in-5-months.htm#top-50
    as well as some videos on Youtube because they were free. :D There are videos that range from seated aerobics to high intensity stuff.

Also:
    so instead of such a structured routine, i'd go with maybe walking on the spot for a few minutes when the ads come on tv. then doing some push ups off the kitchen wall every time you go past- literally just doing more movement. then as you feel a little fitter, you can increase things a bit.

I do this, too. When I'm studying and need a break, I just stand behind my desk chair and jog in place for 2-3 minutes to get the blood moving. When I'm folding laundry or hanging clothes, I march in place (or mark time if you happen to be a band geek and know what that is).

I agree with doing some basic strength training stuff to start building muscles as they will help you burn more calories.

Glad to see you on here. Best of luck!
    ~TheGlitterMouse
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know you want to workout at home and don't want to run/walk but since you don't own a bike and have fear of water it would limit the choices. I would recommend like mostly everyone else here that you do not take interval training for now as it is very intense and if you're out of shape its something that can be doing more bad then good. It may lead to injury and other problems.

I would recommend that you start off with short walks, try 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week with 1 day rest in between. If you can't do 30 minutes because of your feet, try 15 or 20, do what you can. Try to increase your pace or distance/time from one week to the next. After a month or two, I'd recommend you a sort of interval training that will have you running 5Km in 9 weeks.

Have a look at http://www.c25k.com

Hope it helps and good luck... whatever you choose to do, don't give up and keep doing it and pushing yourself a little more each time, you won't see imediate results but if you're consistent they will come and when you least expect you look a hell of a lot different.