Going to the gym vs. Working out at home...

Options
...what do you prefer to do and why?
I'm 50/50. I like all the equipment the gym has to offer and I love swimming for cardio. But after a long day, I just want to go home and workout there. There's also the fact that it can get crazy busy at the gym and you wait forever to use a machine.
So, what do you guys prefer?

Replies

• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Gym! I love the buzz in the gym.. watching others workout and getting new ideas for programming, talking to other people with a similar interest, as well as all the equipment (I go to a pretty good gym with a wide range of racks, cables, sled track etc).
  • Megansonthemoon
    Megansonthemoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's very true! I like going to the gym with workout buddy. It's nice mixing it up and seeing what other workouts people like to do.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    A workout buddy can be great for motivation :smile: sometimes although I do just want to put on my headphones and zone out but I love a weekend workout with my bf and sister
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Gym. Competition grade equipment, perfect spots. I just walk in and the smell of iron, chalk, and sweat just calms and focuses me.
  • Megansonthemoon
    Megansonthemoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes. Dancing is a must!!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Gym!!
  • canadamomgetshealthy
    Options
    At home! after a busy day at work and then spending time with my kids for supper, bath time, bedtime... driving to a gym would eat up too much of my time!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Home is so convenient! I have nearly everything I need in my home gym. I can wear old ratty workout clothes without feeling self conscious. I don't have to drive anywhere and I don't have to get a sitter for my son:-)
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to go to the gym. If I'm at home I make too many excuses not to follow through with my workout.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I love my home gym. It has almost everything I need. And I can workout pretty much anytime I want, blast my fave tunes and wear whatever I want... oh and dance in between sets, haha

Lol thought I was the only one that does that :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I do both. After work I'll either immediately head to one of my classes (pole, trapeze/silk, or spin) or I'll go home and workout (pole or a workout dvd). As long as I get a workout in, I don't really care.
  • allyssabebe
    allyssabebe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At first, I loved the privacy of being at home. I wouldn't feel intimidated to try new workouts or do new exercises in chances of looking silly. But what it lacked was the flexiblility to try new things. Hey, maybe I wanted to incorporate weights, maybe I wanted to hit a machine. Impossible to do at home. I also find that being around others motivates me more then being by myself!
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Depends. I work full time and have two kids and a husband who works full time and attends grad school during the evenings so sometimes the gym is not an option. Recently I've had a bad chest cold so I've slowed down my cardio to walking instead of going to the gym and seeking out the elliptical. Between yesterday and today I've felt SO MUCH BETTER so I'm back at the gym tonight!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Home.

I like having the place to myself, being able to superset as much as I want, leaving my things strewn about or tidied up as I prefer, etc. It's also handy schedule-wise for me--no driving time required, can use it as late or early as I please, etc.

When I go to the gym, I don't talk to people so I don't miss them when I'm at home. I've never run into the problem of people trying to talk to me or disrupting my workout at a gym so that issue isn't a deterrent to attending a gym, but I just mean that I don't feel like I miss out on camaraderie or anything by not going.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gym... Too many kids and distractions for me at home. Also the gym has a ton of mirrors and I like looking at myself. :)
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Home body! I wake up, throw on some shorts and start running or trx straps before my mind knows what the hell I am doing! I am not trying to bulk up, I am a cardio junky so I can do everything I need to do in my pain cave. Some dumbells, trx straps, bike and trainer and treadmill. But my favorite is the bike or running shoes around the neighborhood! But that is just me. I think both have pro's and con's so it comes down to preference I think.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have to go to the gym. If I'm at home I make too many excuses not to follow through with my workout.

This. And I don't have all the equipment I would require.