Binge eating and loss of motivation

Options
I have been trying to lose 100lbs for the better part of 3 years, I have 70 lbs to go but God is it killing me.

I don't know where my willpower went, I lost 30 lbs and then nothing for close to a year. I start calorie counting and then my body screams at me to eat eat eat and I binge, then I feel depressed and disgusted for being so weak so I binge. I spend months gaining and losing the same 10 lbs.

Weight loss is simple - if I stick to my MFP calories and be active a few times a week I should lose weight. Why can't I do this?

I want to be slim and active but I always sabotage myself. It's like I'm scared of meeting my GW.

Replies

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know for myself, it was terribly difficult to maintain motivation without addressing the emotional component to my eating.
    For me, food can be very much like a drug.
    There are great books and even support groups that can help if you think that this might be an area you need to address.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Is your goal reasonable? Everyone wants to lose 2 pounds a week, but for most this is too restrictive and can lead to binges. I would recommend setting your goal to at the most 1 pound per week. Make sure you are weighing your food and eating quality foods. Your diary is closed so I don't know what your normal diet or logging patterns are like, but just some helpful generic advice. Processed foods are loaded with calories, but will not provide satiety. Try to eat protein, good fats and fresh fruits/vegetables to see if this helps with your hunger. Drink water. Some people think they are hungry when they are really dehydrated. Hope some of this helps!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. Getting consistent with logging, even when you binge, is important. There is so much information there that can help you identify patterns in your eating habits. Also, as stated above, find the right combo of protein/fat/carb/fiber that keeps you full! A lot of this is trial and error, you just need to find what works for you. :)

Is there an emotional aspect to the binging? If so, you should address that.

Keep at it, you have a lot of support here!
  • safully1
    safully1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think Karin hit it on the head. I think you have to parse the larger goal of 100lbs down into more manageable goals. Make a 6-8 week program with the goal of 10 pounds. Work hard, achieve it, and then set your sights on a different program 6-8 week program.

I bore easily by going to the gym and doing the same thing over and over again. Mix it up and do something you enjoy. It will help the motivational aspect of it! Good luck!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I hear you - this happened to me many times. On around the 6th attempt, I had to look at what was going 'wrong' here. I soon found out, my 'diet' was so stupidly restrictive that my body was crying out for normality. I went right back to eating (and then some) and quickly gained any loss.

This isn't about cutting out everything you enjoy. Once you do that, this process get's old FAST. If you wouldn't normally sit and eat lettuce leaves and weird unknown vegetables, don't start. I'm not a fan of fruit - and I'm STILL not a fan of fruit. I just ate what I normally would eat on an everyday basis but in smaller amounts. As long as I stuck to my calorie number, I lost weight and didn't feel the need to have enormous binges. It's all about balance and I know it's easier said than done - but trust me, it can be done. :)
  • Grrlonamission94
    Grrlonamission94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your thoughtful responses, I think the idea of having small goals rather than one big goal is good. That way I need to lose 10 lbs seven times. It sounds more achievable that way.
  • Grrlonamission94
    Grrlonamission94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose 100lbs for the better part of 3 years, I have 70 lbs to go but God is it killing me.

I don't know where my willpower went, I lost 30 lbs and then nothing for close to a year. I start calorie counting and then my body screams at me to eat eat eat and I binge, then I feel depressed and disgusted for being so weak so I binge. I spend months gaining and losing the same 10 lbs.

Weight loss is simple - if I stick to my MFP calories and be active a few times a week I should lose weight. Why can't I do this?

I want to be slim and active but I always sabotage myself. It's like I'm scared of meeting my GW.

There are a lot of hard and sad words here. I think you have to find out why you are fighting yourself. Losing weight and gaining health should feel good. Does the calorie counting make you focus too much on food? Or do you restrict too much (too low calorie goal/too aggressive weight loss goal)? Or aren't you getting enough quality nutrition? Or are you denying yourself treats? How is your sleeping pattern? Relationships? Work? Body image issues? Fear of success is a real thing. If there is something you can't solve yourself, don't hesitate to seek professional assistance. There are some things that we just can't fix alone.

Oh for sure! When I start to calorie count I become obsessed with food and devise all sorts of weird eating patterns or I calculate as much junk as I can fit into my daily caloric goal. It's a cycle of binge and restrict which I can't seem to stop.

In general I would say I do have a negative body image but it makes sense in way to me. Why would I want to be proud of an obese body? I'm glad that I have lost 30 lbs but I have so much more to go before I can feel positive about my body.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Is your deficit too aggressive? That seems to be the #1 precursor to binges in the MFP community. I know it is true for me.
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know for myself, it was terribly difficult to maintain motivation without addressing the emotional component to my eating.
    For me, food can be very much like a drug.
    There are great books and even support groups that can help if you think that this might be an area you need to address.

What books would you recommend?