Indian Takeaway

Options
Hi all

It's my son's 21st birthday today and he's decided that he wants an Indian takeaway for dinner.
Could anyone offer any advice of the best dishes to have to remain relatively healthy please? Thank you

Replies

• Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    tandoori chicken. It comes with salad and not in a sauce but lots of flavor. The dish should be under 500 cals on average.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Anything grilled really.
    Mixed grill. kebabs.

Curries and everything else is loaded.

My personal advice is to just enjoy and treat it as a one off.
  • selina884
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    Anything grilled really.
    Mixed grill. kebabs.

Curries and everything else is loaded.

My personal advice is to just enjoy and treat it as a one off.

That is simply NOT true at all. There are different types of curries and different parts of India cook their disher differently. North curries and not the same as South curries.

I know you think you are a curry connoisseur and it's also rather daring to argue with someone who is of a curryfied heritage but I can assure you that the curries you find in restaurants (western restaurants to be specific) is laden with calories and also not truly authentic either, despite your belief on their authenticity. (I've read your strong remarks in other "Indian" food threads)

PS - there are other countries in the Asian continent that have curries too as a national/culture dish.

So please, jump off your horse and stop misinterpreting peoples posts.
  • selina884
    Options
    AND FYI, I am part of that "cultural group" which has the low cal kind of curries you will find. (No ghee, creams, or oil loaded dishes)

Anyhow. moving on.
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    crazyravr you're a little quick to judge! Also you aren't going to come across those kinds on the typical Indian takeout and restaurant menus, just curries loaded with gee for cheap flavor and richness that pleases the average westerners palette!

I would say selina884 is right as most Indian sauces are loaded with calories due to the use of gee, cream, creamed coconut and sugar filled tomatoes, even if you do without the fat the main body of ingredients used to create a sauces will contain more calories then that of the dry meat dishes. I'm a chef....trust me I know!!!!!!
  • selina884
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    crazyravr you're a little quick to judge! Also you aren't going to come across those kinds on the typical Indian takeout and restaurant menus, just curries loaded with gee for cheap flavor and richness that pleases the average westerners palette!

I would say selina884 is right as most Indian sauces are loaded with calories due to the use of gee, cream, creamed coconut and sugar filled tomatoes, even if you do without the fat the main body of ingredients used to create a sauces will contain more calories then that of the dry meat dishes. I'm a chef....trust me I know!!!!!!

its true and thank you, you completely understood where I am coming from. MOST Indian restaurants are catered for the western palette which I did not want to say in case people are offended.

Chinese is not true Chinese (but delicious) and one is usually left with heartburn afterwards. lol
    Italians laugh at Italian restaurants and pizza.

Most restaurant dishes are neither authentic nor low calorie.

Now I fancy making a curry tonight, haha.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

its true and thank you, you completely understood where I am coming from. MOST Indian restaurants are catered for the western palette which I did not want to say in case people are offended.

Chinese is not true Chinese (but delicious) and one is usually left with heartburn afterwards. lol

Depends on where you live. Plenty of authentic ethnic restaurants here in NYC.
  • selina884
    Options

Depends on where you live. Plenty of authentic ethnic restaurants here in NYC.

Oh, absolutely not contesting they dont exist but I can say they wouldn't be of the majority.

I live in London and I would be lying if I suggested that every Indian restaurant here is non-authentic but you do have to dig it out.

The best/most authentic restaurants are usually located around the area where the ethnic group is also of a high percentage.

• RachelLM73
    RachelLM73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.
    Sorry to have caused a debate - very informative though
  • selina884
    Options
    RachelLM73 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.

Sorry, it got out of hand.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    RachelLM73 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.

Par for the MFP course.... don't worry about it.