I have PCOS

Options
Hello I was diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago and need to not only lose weight but change my lifestyle... I lost my father to diabetes and that is a road I certainly do not want to follow. With PCOS not only comes infertility.. excess facial hair.. depression.. anxiety... insulin resistance is also a symptom that can lead to type two diabetes... I'm completely lost as to the things I can get and very scared about my future. The only thing I seem to focus on is how much weight I have to lose and how long it's going to take. My mind set is all wrong ☹️any advice.. tips.. support.. would greatly be appreciated!

Replies

• GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Joining here, you've taken a great first step. I know it can be overwhelming. Why not break your goal into smaller goals? Psychologically it can really help. Instead of focusing on 76 lbs, try 25 lbs to begin with & surround yourself with lots of support. You got this!
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS after TTC for 3 years (I've had it since puberty but with regular periods it never seemed to be a problem until I couldn't get pregnant) I started at 224lbs and now I weigh 153lbs with another 13lbs to go. Thing is weightloss is SLOW with PCOS. It's taken me 2 years so far. I bust my backside in the gym and eat the best I can and only average 0.5lbs per week weight loss. But have built great muscle mass too. I've noticed it has made some aspects of PCOS a bit easier. My skin isn't as bad with acne, the hair ugh I'll let you know if I find the magic trick. I have a family history of diabetes so I had to get everything as healthy as possible. No baby yet, but I have been given the all clear with my bloods and the cysts aren't too bad and have actually reduced and gotten smaller. Add me if you want to. I'll help try and keep you targeted. My aim that has pushed me is that drive for my own child. Once you set your heart on a goal, it's hard to give up xxxxxx
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Check out medical Medium he will help you heal his work is life changing
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and pre-diabetes, my grandfather is diabetic and I think my grandfather on my dads side was diabetic as well. He was definitely in the morbidly obese range. I agree with @mrsf15h that weight loss is slow but not impossible. I've gotten down 60lbs so far and that was from restricting sugar, flour, and starches by following a Keto diet. That means I'm eating nothing but meat, non starch veggies and fats (nuts, olive oil, coconut oil etc). Sort of like caveman days I guess? I had my daughter in 2012 so fertility is not an issue for me anymore.

We do have a Low Carb group on MFP that is very helpful as well for meal plans and support.

I'm getting blood work done this Thursday so I'll be posting my before and after results to see where I'm at with my glucose and what I have left to work on to get out of the pre-diabetic range :) Best of luck to you, take your time, do some reading and take it one step at a time!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I would add that decreasing carbs can help with PCOS/IR issues. Depending on the severity, the range of carbs can be fairly wide. I have seen people make improvements from 25-140g per day.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have found as long as I keep my carbs under 150g it keeps my symptoms under control. Ultimately weight loss has been the most successful way I have controlled it.