Are these good macros for shredding bodyfat?

Options
JasonFaeq
JasonFaeq Posts: 18 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to lose 8% of my bodyfat till Christmas hopefully, my stats are 6'1 height 170 lbs - my maintenance is at 2600, I based my macros off protein 1.2*body weight and fat 0.5*body weight and the rest are carbs.

Here's my macros.
l9eKPE3.png

Am I doing it right? any tips will be appreciated.

edit: Forgot to mention my BF, I'm at 16%.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Looks good.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That's probably the right amount of calories to cause fat loss. Personally I can't workout efficiently on such low carbs but if you can the rest of the numbers are fine. Protein is probably a tad higher than necessary but I always take in more protein then needed to help with satiation. My worry is that at 8% body fat you are going to be rather scrawny and probably not look like how you want. To put it into perspective I'm your height, weigh 205lbs and am about 12% in my profile picture. I know individual body composition has a lot to do with it, but if you want to be 8% body fat your weight will have to be around 155 I think (depends on how much weight lost is fat). That's going to be rather small for 6'1 If I was you I'd focus on moving into a muscle gaining phase before 8%. Also, unless you're doing a bodybuilding competition 8% seems a little aggressive for simple aesthetics. This is purely my opinion but 12% body fat with decent musculature is more aesthetic than 8% skin and bones. Have you ever done an intentional weight/muscle gaining phase along with a weight lifting routine? If so what routine, how long, and how much did you gain? Most people do not achieve 8% on their first weight loss cycle.
  • JasonFaeq
    JasonFaeq Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @vismal Thanks for the reply! I started working out 2 years ago with no dieting and just eating whatever and I would say I gained some good muscle and lost 20 lbs of fat in 2 years and I dropped from over 20% to 16% and to be quite honest now that I think about it, I can stop cutting at 12% then clean bulk 300 over maintenance and try to stay at 12% while building muscle, does that sound good?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    MhCas wrote: »
    @vismal Thanks for the reply! I started working out 2 years ago with no dieting and just eating whatever and I would say I gained some good muscle and lost 20 lbs of fat in 2 years and I dropped from over 20% to 16% and to be quite honest now that I think about it, I can stop cutting at 12% then clean bulk 300 over maintenance and try to stay at 12% while building muscle, does that sound good?
    Yes, I think that's a very reasonable goal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Dropping to 8% would put you at 153lbs of lean mass at your goal. On a 6'1 frame, that is very thin. I definitely agree that you need to add some mass through bulking or at least recomping at some point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    That's probably the right amount of calories to cause fat loss. Personally I can't workout efficiently on such low carbs but if you can the rest of the numbers are fine. Protein is probably a tad higher than necessary but I always take in more protein then needed to help with satiation. My worry is that at 8% body fat you are going to be rather scrawny and probably not look like how you want. To put it into perspective I'm your height, weigh 205lbs and am about 12% in my profile picture. I know individual body composition has a lot to do with it, but if you want to be 8% body fat your weight will have to be around 155 I think (depends on how much weight lost is fat). That's going to be rather small for 6'1 If I was you I'd focus on moving into a muscle gaining phase before 8%. Also, unless you're doing a bodybuilding competition 8% seems a little aggressive for simple aesthetics. This is purely my opinion but 12% body fat with decent musculature is more aesthetic than 8% skin and bones. Have you ever done an intentional weight/muscle gaining phase along with a weight lifting routine? If so what routine, how long, and how much did you gain? Most people do not achieve 8% on their first weight loss cycle.

Yea, I would agree with this. Personally, carbs are an important tool for me during my workouts, especially during a cut. It may be worth cutting back on protein a bit and increasing carbs.