Ladies on a 1800 cutting diet?

Options

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    That is not how any of this works :D

Just to explain... I am not saying you can't be losing at 1800...I'm saying you can't be losing more than at 1200-1700...

This is absolutely wrong. I also get much leaner at higher calories. I've been tracking macros almost every week since 2012 and have repeatedly found that I am leaner when cals aren't too low. There is a sweet spot about 200-500 below TDEE which seems to work best for everyone. You have to experiment but I have seen many people report something similar.

I know exactly where you are coming from but I dont want to open a new can of worms.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Just to explain... I am not saying you can't be losing at 1800...I'm saying you can't be losing more than at 1200-1700...
    Well, we don't know her particular math, but we do know that for many people, larger deficits produce larger metabolic slowdowns.

So if 1800 calories produces a 10% slowdown of her TDEE, but 1200 calories produces a 20% slowdown of her TDEE? Quick math using 2000 as TDEE for ease of computation suggests that eating 1200 calories a day vs. 1800 calories a day would create a slowdown that erases nearly 400 calories of deficit.

It also is likely that for some, higher targets are easier to hit and produce less binging/logging errors.
    Combine that with a smaller reduction of metabolism and I can definitely believe that soemoen would have more success with a higher goal (aka smaller deficit)
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 1500 kcal, but averaged 1600kcal a day this month and losing steadily.

1200kcal doesn't work for me simply because I can't stick with it for long enough. For people saying 1200 kcal a day doesn't work for them... are you really being honest with yourself and really eating 1200kcal? And have you done it consistently for at least a month?

Even if your metabolism slows down when dieting (which I believe it does to a small extent) it wouldn't be a 400 kcal difference!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a lot of strong opinions here! Okay, we all have basal metabolism rates that required x amount of energy intake - known as calories to most of us. At least those of us alive enough to have strong opinions! And then we need calories to support our activity activity (from sedentary through athlete). So what is the argument about here? If our daily calorie usage turns out to be 2000 calories and we eat 1800, that's a deficit - and deficits result in weight loss. Again, what is the argument about here?
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and we shouldn't be arguing about how many calories work for weight loss because like I said every single person is different. CICO is obviously fact and works. However, some people who have been dieting for a long time on low calorie diets may actually find that they lose weight when they up their calories due to a balancing of hormones which promote weight loss. So potentially OP did actually find that she loses more weight on the higher amount of calories than on the lower due to the calories boosting her metabolism. - just another example of how her body may be working differently to yours. We need to support and advise each other not criticise. Lets bring each other up not pull each other down. :smiley:
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I lost well on 1800 calories. It was sustainable long term. I was comfortable, kept my NEAT activity up, etc.

Yes, 1300 means faster weight loss if nothing else changes but that's not how our bodies work. Many of us find that our bodies' metabolic adaptations make low calorie diets pointless.

A good listen:

http://www.irakinutrition.com/podcast/podcast-with-lyle-mcdonald-1/

Thank you for the link, I'm very interested in this. It took me losing and gaining back to figure it out. I found that I feel the best at 1800-2000 calories. It feel sustainable, my mood is happy, and I hit all of my macros no problem. I have a lot to lose still, do with exercise it's still possible to be up to 2lbs weight loss. It definitely feels like I can do this long term with no struggle, compared to a lower calorie amount.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    I am on 1900 and losing 1.5-1 lb a week, I'm 5'4.

I DO lose more on 1900 than on 1200 because being on 1200 will cause me to binge and wipe all that away. The goal should be to eat AS much as you can while meeting your goals!

Now this can happen :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    I am on 1900 and losing 1.5-1 lb a week, I'm 5'4.

I DO lose more on 1900 than on 1200 because being on 1200 will cause me to binge and wipe all that away. The goal should be to eat AS much as you can while meeting your goals!

Now this can happen :)
    Changes in gravity?
    I...don't know.
  • jadefitnow
    jadefitnow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    at 59, to MAINTAIN my weight (with normal activity level) I need about 1600 calories/day; to lose I need to be at about 1100 calories/day. And as you lose, you need less calories (or more exercise) to maintain your current weight. It's an ever-moving target; everyone is different; height, age, activity level and metabolism all affect loss and gain...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and we shouldn't be arguing about how many calories work for weight loss because like I said every single person is different. CICO is obviously fact and works. However, some people who have been dieting for a long time on low calorie diets may actually find that they lose weight when they up their calories due to a balancing of hormones which promote weight loss. So potentially OP did actually find that she loses more weight on the higher amount of calories than on the lower due to the calories boosting her metabolism. - just another example of how her body may be working differently to yours. We need to support and advise each other not criticise. Lets bring each other up not pull each other down. :smiley:

No ....bodies are the same

People aren't different, no matter what medical conditions or history

Neither Thermodynamic adaptation nor physics include any concept whereby one can lose more weight the higher your calorie intake

Restoring leptin through refeed is a valid concept but doesn't mean this

There is no scientific rationale for this concept ...I'm sorry but it's simply not true

Please divorce the concept of critique of posts with critique of self ...you can't post nonsense and expect it to not be addressed l

Let's educate each other not develop a place where woo reigns, there are enough sites and proponents of health and fitness derp on the Internet

A caloric deficit's effect on NEAT varies greatly from person to person and the changes are not necessarily consciously made. Starting at the 1 hour point in the podcast I linked above, this is discussed in detail. (I'll link it again here.) Yes, clearly CICO rules the day as far as fat loss goes but people absolutely are different as far as how they adapt, NEAT-wise.
  • Sued0nim
    edited September 2016
    Options

Neither Thermodynamic adaptation nor physics include any concept whereby one can lose more weight the higher your calorie intake

There is no scientific rationale for this concept ...I'm sorry but it's simply not true

Please divorce the concept of critique of posts with critique of self ...you can't post nonsense and expect it to not be addressed l

Let's educate each other not develop a place where woo reigns, there are enough sites and proponents of health and fitness derp on the Internet

A caloric deficit's effect on NEAT varies greatly from person to person and the changes are not necessarily consciously made. Starting at the 1 hour point in the podcast I linked above, this is discussed in detail. (I'll link it again here.) Yes, clearly CICO rules the day as far as fat loss goes but people absolutely are different as far as how they adapt, NEAT-wise.

Yes that's fascinating, talking about how activity levels can reduce which of course that will have an effect on TDEE on a daily basis and adjust the CICO balance.

In that conceptual world I would fully accept that if you move more at a higher calorie amount your defecit would increase at a higher calorie amount and you would lose more

If people are putting forward the concept that it you eat more to lose more because you also move more either through purposeful exercise or base activity then I would wholeheartedly accept that concept as scientifically sound. It's the talking in isolation and putting it all down to a metabolic adaptation regardless of any change in activity level that I take issue with.

If I cut to 1750 but don't move at all I would put on weight
    If I cut to 1750 and walk 3-5000 steps a day I would maintain weight
    If I cut to 1750 and maintain my current activity levels I would lose
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Glad to see this thread got more or less back on track :D I lose on 1800-1900 calories, though I aim for a weekly average rather than eat 1800 daily, so that I can eat more on weekends. I average 1500 during the week so that I can have several high calorie days involving going out to eat or drinking or what-have-you. I started out on 1200 calories when I first got on MFP back in 2011. That did not go well. Like some others have mentioned, if I try to limit my calories to what is, for me, an unsustainably low number, I am more likely to lose self-control and willpower and end up binging. And would not be adequately fueling my workouts, besides.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

^This is exactly why I got a fitness tracker with move reminders. And getting up every hour and pacing around for 5-10 minutes when it buzzes me got the scale moving again.

I don't eat ridiculously low (around 1400), but I'm at 25% body fat, 54 years old, 5'2" and weigh 119 pounds. I just want to be very light and lean because it will help my arthritis. So I'm at the point where loss has slowed down and I'm using every trick in the book except cutting too much to do it. I learned the hard way cutting too much makes me binge.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Yes that's fascinating, talking about how activity levels can reduce which of course that will have an effect on TDEE on a daily basis and adjust the CICO balance.

In that conceptual world I would fully accept that if you move more at a higher calorie amount your defecit would increase at a higher calorie amount and you would lose more

If people are implying putting forward the concept that it you eat more to lose more because you also move more either through purposeful exercise or base activity then I would wholeheartedly accept that concept as scientifically sound. It's the talking in isolation and putting it all down to a metabolic adaptation regardless of any change in activity level that I take issue with.

I think that (the bold) is what is being discussed here. Not a decrease in BMR, a decrease in NEAT (obvs affecting TDEE.) Too many people get hung up on BMR and exercise and then completely ignore NEAT.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

If people are implying putting forward the concept that it you eat more to lose more because you also move more either through purposeful exercise or base activity then I would wholeheartedly accept that concept as scientifically sound. It's the talking in isolation and putting it all down to a metabolic adaptation regardless of any change in activity level that I take issue with.

I think that (the bold) is what is being discussed here. Not a decrease in BMR, a decrease in NEAT (obvs affecting TDEE.) Too many people get hung up on BMR and exercise and then completely ignore NEAT.

Well if that was what was being mooted then I apologise and take my comments back.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Exactly: CICO is true. What is also true is that CI and CO are both estimates based on averages and past performance.
    Different people extract different amounts of energy from the same amount of food (CI is an estimate)
    Different people of the same height and weight have different energy requirements (CO is an estimate).

Further, CI and CO vary not just within a person but over time; CI depends in part on gut bacteria, CO depends on a wide variety of factors including hormones, historic weight, non-exercise movement, sleep, and more.

As to the "massively misinterpreting" comment.
    I'm not arguing that at 1200 her weight loss would somehow STOP. I'm arguing that at 1200, she was suffering a lot more hunger for much less of a deficit than she thinks she's creating. The idea that you should go for a huge deficit to "lose faster" may well backfire. Because you may think you've created an ENORMOUS deficit, but its not as huge as you think it is. You won't lose at the rate you think you should lose, and you'll simultaneously be risking binging and other issues. And yes, studies consistently show a drop in BMR in the range of 5-25%.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

Well, we don't know her particular math, but we do know that for many people, larger deficits produce larger metabolic slowdowns.

So if 1800 calories produces a 10% slowdown of her TDEE, but 1200 calories produces a 20% slowdown of her TDEE? Quick math using 2000 as TDEE for ease of computation suggests that eating 1200 calories a day vs. 1800 calories a day would create a slowdown that erases nearly 400 calories of deficit.

It also is likely that for some, higher targets are easier to hit and produce less binging/logging errors.
    Combine that with a smaller reduction of metabolism and I can definitely believe that soemoen would have more success with a higher goal (aka smaller deficit)

Putting aside that the numbers are just randomly chosen by you, the 1800 calorie eating in your example would result in no weight loss because 2000 - 10% = 1800 ergo you're at maintenance, vs. 2000 - 20% = 1600, meaning a 400 kcal deficit.