Binge Eating (Brain Over Binge)

Options
So I am in the middle of reading "Brain over binge" and I think it has been extremely helpful, it has been almost a week since I binged or overate, which is pretty good for me. Has anyone else read this book? A lot of it makes sense, It pretty much is saying that when you want to binge it, its like your "animal brain" is taking over, and just to ignore it.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to read this book now- did you find it useful? I've also read "overcoming binge eating" and Gillian Riley's book "eating less". If I could just implement some of this advice I would be doing great!!
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    I haven't read the book but I agree with the fact that it all starts in the mind :)
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I read it and it's so simple that I can't believe I couldn't come up with it myself! Just stop! Your brain can't make you do anything until you choose to do it. It's a genius philosophy.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I found the theory helpful for a few weeks, but now I'm back to struggling. I need to be more effective at reminding myself that it is my "animal brain" and to ignore it. It really is sound advice.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What are your experiences so far? It has been a while since you posted...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    By using the more evolved part of your brain to override it? It happens every day when you don't go around raping, and killing, and choking people out for driving slowly in the fast lane. Or at least I presume it does.

There are really books that essentially say "Just don't do that" and people pay money for them?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is certainly very real, and after a long cut we are all vulnerable to it. The body is truly needing calories at that point. Sometimes it's more than emotional.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    By using the more evolved part of your brain to override it? It happens every day when you don't go around raping, and killing, and choking people out for driving slowly in the fast lane. Or at least I presume it does.

There are really books that essentially say "Just don't do that" and people pay money for them?

This. How is there an entire book (or more than one) to go over "make good choices"!?!?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Just say No!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have used this little phrase to remind myself, sometimes. "What's the worst thing that will happen if I DON'T eat that? I'll feel a little uncomfortable for a bit?" being a little uncomfortable is not only do-able, it's probably good for me. Getting out of comfort zones leads to positive change, in my experience.
    That sounds like brilliant advice-I'm going to try it later.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    tag624 wrote: »
    So I am in the middle of reading "Brain over binge" and I think it has been extremely helpful, it has been almost a week since I binged or overate, which is pretty good for me. Has anyone else read this book? A lot of it makes sense, It pretty much is saying that when you want to binge it, its like your "animal brain" is taking over, and just to ignore it.
    @tag624
    AWESOME!!! :+1: Time for me to reread it! :wink: So glad I saw your post tonight... There's now an audio-book she's just put out. I think she may have a 2nd book as well?

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Bingeing is uncontrolled overeating and often happens when we are too restrictive. For me, the answer was to allow myself to overeat but on my terms so I remained in control.
    It's like blowing up a balloon. If you just keep blowing without letting any air out pretty soon it just pops.
    The true issue with bingeing isn't the calories but the loss of control and the accompanying guilt.
    In the last 13 years, I've overeaten once every week but not one time was it not in my control. Before this, I would lose control and binge once or twice a month. I lost 100lbs with controlled weekly overeating and gained 100lbs with sporadic every other week bingeing.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread in my feed, and wanted to have a look. I am/was a frequent binge eater for 20+ years , that would do so at least once a week on any diet I was on.
    Sometimes done out of emotional state, other times done out of opportunity (buffets, party's, etc..).

Happily - I have been following the ketogenic diet for over 130 days now, and have NOT had a single binge this entire time, nor have I even had the impulse to do it.

I know that during this time I may not have hit the emotional lows that drove me prior, but I certainly have had the opportunity's to binge eat in front of me, and didn't have the urge at all.
    I certainly don't believe my diet is the fix for this problem for everyone, but is certainly with having a look at.

As Russel mentions above, a share of the problem certainly looks to be with diet restrictions being set to low, in either overall calories or macro restrictions.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I never read the book, but getting help in whatever fashion that maybe is certainly a step in the right direction. I really wish I took action sooner. Stuffing my problem...no pun intended greatly made my situation much worse. Good for you:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to add info on here tomorrow :wink: