Healthy alternative to chips

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Uh yes. There's not a single person on this earth who has become overweight from eating too much carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery.

I would think you even lose energy from chewing, processing those veggies raw.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Ripped up taco shells! I like chips and salsa too. Or tortilla strips instead of tortilla chips.

All of your substitutes are made out of the same thing as the thing you are substituting....Tortillas are tortillas whether they are chips, taco shells, or cut in strips. Why no0t just eat the thing you want to eat. In a measured portion that fits your goals.

OP I agree with the others who say you can have veggies with your dips to cut some of the calories but those dips are probably a bigger problem than the chips.

IDK me, when I want a specific food substitutes don't do it. I would rather have a controlled portion of the thing I want , than stuff myself on something I am not going to enjoy.

Yeah but it's about volume....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eat less chips! I don't think there are too many calories in very few chips!!

The suggestions of vegetables gave me a chuckle. That's essentially changing your favorite food. If you are ok with that, might as well switch salsa to vinegar. Veggies + vinegar = you even "earn" calorie points.

This calorie minded eating starts to get funny. :)

Meh...a lot of those raw veggies go great with cheese dips and the like...

No need to change the salsa to vinegar though...salsa is pretty friggin' healthy.

Also, I eat around 250 calories in veg daily...so what you're telling me is that those are just free calories then and don't count towards my targets?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Uh yes. There's not a single person on this earth who has become overweight from eating too much carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery.

There's like 30 calories in a carrot. How long do you spend chewing your food...? O.o

ETA: I used to spend a lot of time trying to find substitutes for my favorite snacks. Tried 'em all. None of them were appropriately satisfying and pretty much all of them disappointed (roasted chickpeas may be pretty tasty on their own, but they're sure not gonna satisfy a craving for tortilla chips or potato chips, in my book). I just started making the foods I want fit into my day. And only spending my calories, since they're fairly limited atm, on foods that taste worth it - I have higher standards now than I used to. Garden of Eatin tortilla chips aaaall the way. If only we hadn't eaten all the salsa fresca last night, hrmph.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ripped up taco shells! I like chips and salsa too. Or tortilla strips instead of tortilla chips.

All of your substitutes are made out of the same thing as the thing you are substituting....Tortillas are tortillas whether they are chips, taco shells, or cut in strips. Why no0t just eat the thing you want to eat. In a measured portion that fits your goals.

OP I agree with the others who say you can have veggies with your dips to cut some of the calories but those dips are probably a bigger problem than the chips.

IDK me, when I want a specific food substitutes don't do it. I would rather have a controlled portion of the thing I want , than stuff myself on something I am not going to enjoy.

It sounds to me like the food OP wants might be the dip, not the chips. If so, the lowest cal option (vegetables) would be my choice, as like you say the dip on its own is still going to be quite caloric.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Also, I eat around 250 calories in veg daily...so what you're telling me is that those are just free calories then and don't count towards my targets?

I've read about a guy who's done a month of diet on McDonald to prove a point about calories, but I have not seen anyone who has done a week with only carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery, essentially complex carb veggies. That would be very interesting from the point of calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No. You don't spend more energy eating these foods than contained in the food. No such thing as negative calorie food.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Many chips are just around 130 calories for an ounce. I like Xochitl brand and I think those are 135 calories for 1 ounce, which is a good number of chips. It seems like you'd be getting more calories from the chicken and cheese dip than from the chips. But veggies are a good choice too.

Oh man. My sister makes this freaking awesome buffalo chicken dip. I would gladly give up 140 calories of tortilla chips and just dip celery in that instead. But yeah, the dip is way more calorie dense than the chips in that case.

I don't really know what I'm saying and I'm not really adding to the conversation but this made me think of that dip and now I want some...
    @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    I think you just got tongue tied thinking of the dip...ya know the 'freaking awesome buffalo chicken dip your Sister makes'?! Just a thought :laugh: :smiley:

Regarding chips and veggies...
    if it's a day I feel I can do moderate chip eating I'd measure out a serving or two if I plan ahead. If it wasn't a safe chip day I'd do as many have suggested, raw veggies. Persian cukes, baby carrots, red pepper strips, raw cauliflower, broccoli etc. I love those plain as an everyday crunchy treat. :p

Wow, I'm so craving crunchy veggies now.. multi-colored crunchy veggies.. :wink:
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else...sounds like what you really want are the dips, which are far more calories than the chips..do you make all three at the same time? Maybe you'd be best to stick primarily with salsa most of the time, or smaller portions of the dips. That should help control the amount of chips you're eating...
    Though, the baked versions of chips provide a few less calories.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Fellow chip lover here!

Special K cracker chips are close.....and they come in chip-like flavours.
    But you haffta count/weigh them out. Aprox 18 chips for 80 cal. 36-40 chips is a small bowl full and is only 160-175ish cal.
    Not bad for something that tastes pretty close to chips.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Quest chips aren't different too much calorie-wise from a single serving of regular chips, but if you're craving chips and need to hit your protein goal for the day, they'll do. I personally did not like the salt & vinegar flavor, but I like their barbeque and cheddar flavors.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Yes, it is hilarious to figure out ways to eat more food for less calories when you're counting calories on a calorie counting website.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Eat less chips! I don't think there are too many calories in very few chips!!

The suggestions of vegetables gave me a chuckle. That's essentially changing your favorite food. If you are ok with that, might as well switch salsa to vinegar. Veggies + vinegar = you even "earn" calorie points.

I agree with eating less chips, but you don't earn calorie points with veggies and vinegar or any other foods.

I got fat eating loads of carrots, cucumber, pepper and celery, but only because it was part of my dietary plan of too much food.

Think about it too: nobody is going to just eat carrot, cucumber, pepper and celery. ;)
  • SuperChanges
    SuperChanges Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Carrot, cucumber, pepper, celery

Why not have the above and chips together with dips? That way you'll be eating less chips as there's more on your plate, and you'll feel good about the healthy food you've mixed in.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Homemade kale chips are a decent substitute for potato chips.

A small number of tortilla chips crumbled into a bowl of salsa for the "chips and salsa" flavour. Eat with a spoon. (Admittedly, I view tortilla chips as salsa delivery devices. A small number of chips dipped into lots of salsa also works.)
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    boiled or baked potatoes without the oil
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It sounds to me like the food OP wants might be the dip, not the chips. If so, the lowest cal option (vegetables) would be my choice, as like you say the dip on its own is still going to be quite caloric.

I don't know what kind of dips the OP is eating, but salsa dip is pretty low calorie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't know what kind of dips the OP is eating, but salsa dip is pretty low calorie.

Yes, definitely. If OP wants to save calories and doesn't care what dip she eats, choosing that would be the way to go.

(I don't think of salsa as a "dip" but as "salsa" -- a separate thing -- but I see that OP was including it. I assumed she wanted to eat all three, but rereading maybe she just wants one of them.)
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sadly there doesnt seem to be a substitute for good chips and my alternative doesnt work with dips. With sandwiches i eat goldfish crackers i stead of chips. They arent thw same but are good.