Dairy Thoughts

Options
2»

Replies

• Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I discovered not too long ago that I'm dairy-intolerant, although I don't know for sure what aspect of dairy is the culprit. I didn't know what kept making me ill - so much so that sometimes I couldn't walk after eating something containing milk!

I find that things like milk and cream are the worst for me, whereas Greek yoghurt and hard cheese have a lesser effect (although it's still noticeable if I have any, I can pay the piper for a small amount, whereas with milk or cream it's a no-go).

For what it's worth, after removing almost all dairy products from my diet, I haven't noticed any changes in my energy levels or my skin (in fact, that's possibly even worse, though I don't think the two are related). Pretty much the key benefit for me is that I no longer get mysteriously ill after eating...
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My wife has bad reactions to things like milk and ice cream, but not cheese. She does not consume dairy, other than cheese, but I haven't noticed anything different about her when she stopped. Other than her stomach doesn't hurt and she doesn't get diarrhea.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I was getting a lot of bloating and gastric discomfort on days when I consumed more dairy products. I now eat more lactose-free or soy products and am much more comfortable. I can tolerate a very small amount of dairy per day, and sometimes will just accept a bit of discomfort and gas in exchange for Ben & Jerry's!

It has made no difference to my weight, skin, energy levels etc. I love full fat dairy and miss it sometimes.