No carb/ high protein foods for vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    tanyaltrl wrote: »
    Its the meat and dairy industry that promotes low carb. Check out Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard if you care for your health and the animals

can you back that up? Note: I'm a vegan on a ketogenic diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Whey protein.
  • lodro
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I was under the impression that cutting carbs will help with losing weight, I could be very wrong and that's ok. I don't want to completely cut out carbs and I'm aware that vegetarian and vegan diets typically are more carby since we cut out the meat and most dairy, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of low carb foods I didn't know of :)

Unless you have medical issues there is no reason to cut carbs.

Cutting carbs does result in water weight loss the first week though (glycogen stores). But that's not the same thing as fat loss.

"medical issues" as in "insulin resistant", which is rapidly approaching 50% of the population in countries that eat to a "standard" diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I was under the impression that cutting carbs will help with losing weight, I could be very wrong and that's ok. I don't want to completely cut out carbs and I'm aware that vegetarian and vegan diets typically are more carby since we cut out the meat and most dairy, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of low carb foods I didn't know of :)

Unless you have medical issues there is no reason to cut carbs.

Cutting carbs does result in water weight loss the first week though (glycogen stores). But that's not the same thing as fat loss.

"medical issues" as in "insulin resistant", which is rapidly approaching 50% of the population in countries that eat to a "standard" diet.

But I'm still not seeing anything in the original post (or subsequent posts) that says OP is diabetic.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Radish0 wrote: »
    Made my first batch of seitan and both I and meat-lover hubby are entranced with it. Basically, it's just vital wheat protein and water flavored with whatever you wish. According to the National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 100g of vital wheat gluten contains 14g carbohydrate but 75g of protein! That's over 5 times as much protein as carbs -- hard to beat in a vegetable-based product. Of course, the things added for flavor may affect the ratio for prepared seitan but it's still a great option.

I <3 Seitan! That stuff can not be beat. I've always been hesitant to make it myself. Is it easy?

it is! it takes a while and there are about a million recipes for it, but i always read the comments for extra tips and usually use a recipe for a specific flavor profile depending on what i'm in the mood for like seitan buffalo wings are going to be way different than seitan bahn mi.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    E
    Radish0 wrote: »
    I <3 Seitan! That stuff can not be beat. I've always been hesitant to make it myself. Is it easy?

Exceptionally easy though you may need to adjust what you put in it and how you cook it to get the flavor and texture exactly how you want it. I conquered the flavor with my first batch but included instant yeast (as a few recommend) and cut it into small pieces and poached them. These were a bit too wet and fluffy. Next batch, I will go the opposite extreme, leave out the yeast, and try the steaming or baking methods to get a chewier, more compact seitan.

There are a bzillion online recipes and videos but many of them make it more complex than it needs to be. All ingredients except vital wheat gluten and water are optional. However, it will only taste as good as what you add to it. I added onion powder, garlic power, Penzey's Forward! spice mix, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil.

Basically, knead together vital wheat gluten, water and whatever flavoring agents you want. Parcook it by poaching, steaming or baking. Use as you would any meat. It tastes best if you give it a second cooking like sauteeing, baking in a sauce, etc.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to cut down carbs. Especially as a vegetarian this is going to limit your options for protein.

But, if you want some good protein sources as a vegetarian.... i'll PM you because i just wrote a post about this the other day. I'm also vegetarian (who is now lactose intolerant) so i know the struggle of even hitting a protein goal!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

In the absence of a medical condition, cutting carbs helps with losing weight just because it can help some people to create a calorie deficit.

I lived in vegetarian yoga communities for three years and there were plenty of healthy, fit people there who ate lots of carbs. We ate a lot of satiating foods like legumes and vegetables. And were active.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The vegetarian options for protein are tied to carbs and fats, so I say, welcome them to the party. The only other option is a supplement powder of some sort. I haven't seen spirulina mentioned but it is expensive.
  • lodro
    Options
    supplement protein with a good, low carb, protein powder. I guess the OP already knows which vegetables are advisable with her macros. I eat LCHF, doing this.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My macros are set at: 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein. Since I don't eat meat, this is hard to accomplish most days. Also, I'm looking to lower my carbs percentage to 20% and up my fat to 45% in hopes of seeing better results. I'm eating about 1600-1700 cals a day with moderate activity. Lots of fat to lose lol

Why, to the bolded? Weight loss is created by a sustained calorie deficit and you can eat anything you like. Do you have any medical issues that limits your food choices? Being a vegetarian AND eating less to lose weight should set enough limitations on your diet - don't add to the difficulties.
  • ashleystidhammfp
    ashleystidhammfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My macros are set at: 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein. Since I don't eat meat, this is hard to accomplish most days. Also, I'm looking to lower my carbs percentage to 20% and up my fat to 45% in hopes of seeing better results. I'm eating about 1600-1700 cals a day with moderate activity. Lots of fat to lose lol

Why, to the bolded? Weight loss is created by a sustained calorie deficit and you can eat anything you like. Do you have any medical issues that limits your food choices? Being a vegetarian AND eating less to lose weight should set enough limitations on your diet - don't add to the difficulties.
    I have no idea why that's bolded lmao

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I have no idea why that's bolded lmao

lol :D