Exercise

Options
I was always told that you should change up your workout routine so that your body doesn't get "used to" your workout routine. Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• irtrail
    irtrail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, I have found that it helps keep me motivated if anything. Changing the routine keeps it from getting...well...routine.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I agree, changing it up keeps it interesting for me and I'm always on the lookout for something new I might enjoy!
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    I don't know if I worded my OP correctly. Yes, I have to switch up my workout routine so I don't get bored. But I guess what I'm really asking is....I always heard that you need to switch up your workout routine so that you always burn the maximum amount of calories, is there any truth to this?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I always heard that you need to switch up your workout routine so that you always burn the maximum amount of calories, is there any truth to this?

No, you can change one of the other variables instead - the intensity, the duration, or the frequency. Or simply consume fewer calories. :+1:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Change volume or intensity of exercise, you really never want your exercise to go stale if you will. However, regardless of this, I am hoping that exercise is not being used for burning max calories and you have some fitness goals.

You can also increase in your non exercise activity (NEAT) as well by moving more in this retrospect and also adds to the amount of calories you burn in a day as well.

And more importantly just stick to your calorie deficit and move more and obtain some exercise goals for health and fitness.
    143353326 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! we should keep on changing our workouts so that our body don't get habitual to it and at some point it will stop effecting our body. So keep changing your workouts to get better results.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think there more you do something, especially if you're getting some sort of coaching, then the more efficient your become at it. Even though you may be going faster or longer it doesn't require as much effort. That's why I like to have a go a new activities, plus you might find something you really enjoy that doesn't even seem like "exercise" in the process.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I always do the elliptical for cardio but I increase the resistance over time. Maybe you would like interval training?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you were weight lifting to build muscle, you would have to up your weight lifting reps/weight in order to continue building muscle. You wouldn't expect to be able to get stronger/build muscle/burn more calories lifting 5 lb dumbbells forever.

For cardio, let's say you burn 100 calories and you weigh 200 lbs. If you weighed 125 lbs and did the exact same run, you might only burn 75 calories. This is all an estimate, but, all else remaining constant, the less you weigh, the less you burn doing cardio (of the same intensity, duration, etc).

Over time, as you lose weight, if you are relying on exercise burns to create a calorie deficit, you will have to increase intensity, duration, or add additional workouts. You will also be closer to your goal, so a shrinking deficit is normal and it may not be necessary to maintain a large deficit.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When I used a personal trainer, he told me this very thing too "Change up your work out or your body will get used to what it's doing". Back then, I was weight training so I imagine he was referring to upping my weights so as to continue challenging my muscles. I generally exercise at the moment to keep up my calorie deficit, so as long as I am burning those calories, I'm not overly fussed about *how* I go about doing so! As I get lighter, my calorie burn will decrease too - so just be aware of that.