Will I lose fat following this?

Hi all, with so many threads on the same issue but with differing views, I've decided to ask for advice on my own behalf.

I'll start by giving a bit of background information on myself. I am an 18 year old male, 185cm/6'1'' and weigh 83kg/183lbs. According to the BMI, this puts me on the upper limit of the healthy weight range. However, I still have quite a bit of fat which I would like to lose.

Whilst on a calorie deficit, I have been following Stronglifts 5x5 for three weeks now (three times a week), and have made progress in strength. I also do HIIT when I go running twice a week.

My current weights are:

Squat: 82.5kg/182lbs 5x5
Bench Press: 70kg/154lbs 5x5
Overhead Press:45kg/99lbs 5x5
Row: 47.5kg/104.5lbs 5x5
Deadlift: 85kg/187lbs 1x5

By doing what I currently do, should I expect to see a more toned self or a "skinny fat" body. I'm really scared about bulking now because up until early this year, I've been the fat person (I weighed 90kg/200lbs).
Also, what can I do to help me achieve my goal of becoming lean?

My ultimate goal is to build bigger muscles, after I lean down to a lower body fat percentage. Thanks all!

Replies

• marybisme
    marybisme Posts: 3 Member
    You should check out the keto diet. Always do research first to see if it is right for you, and talk it over with your doc, but I know of body builders use this diet to get cut.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Whether or not you lose fat will be dependent on how much you eat. Since you are within your healthy range, I would suggest trying for a 1/2 pound loss per week (or even less than that.) Eat at that level and keep up your exercise and you will have good results.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Far more important is your calorie goal. What is it?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ButteryMud wrote: »
    Hi all, with so many threads on the same issue but with differing views, I've decided to ask for advice on my own behalf.

I'll start by giving a bit of background information on myself. I am an 18 year old male, 185cm/6'1'' and weigh 83kg/183lbs. According to the BMI, this puts me on the upper limit of the healthy weight range. However, I still have quite a bit of fat which I would like to lose.

Whilst on a calorie deficit, I have been following Stronglifts 5x5 for three weeks now (three times a week), and have made progress in strength. I also do HIIT when I go running twice a week.

My current weights are:

Squat: 82.5kg/182lbs 5x5
    Bench Press: 70kg/154lbs 5x5
    Overhead Press:45kg/99lbs 5x5
    Row: 47.5kg/104.5lbs 5x5
    Deadlift: 85kg/187lbs 1x5

By doing what I currently do, should I expect to see a more toned self or a "skinny fat" body. I'm really scared about bulking now because up until early this year, I've been the fat person (I weighed 90kg/200lbs).
    Also, what can I do to help me achieve my goal of becoming lean?

My ultimate goal is to build bigger muscles, after I lean down to a lower body fat percentage. Thanks all!

Good news! You can't get bulky while on a calorie deficit :)

Do tell us more about your calorie deficit.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    marybisme wrote: »
    You should check out the keto diet. Always do research first to see if it is right for you, and talk it over with your doc, but I know of body builders use this diet to get cut.
    One doesn't need to keto to cut. And body builders do well on it because they have much more muscle mass than the average person, along with a plethora of drugs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Are you progressing on weights pretty consistently? Are those weights heavy for you? Like 5x5 is pretty close to as many reps as you can do at those weights?

As long as the answers are yes to the above, your training is probably sufficient.

The rest will come down to energy balance and protein. Get .8gr per lb of body weight of protein. Eat a slight 250ish deficit. Continue your training.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    You should also post this in the fitness section. A lot of advise regarding workouts there.
  • ButteryMud
    ButteryMud Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks all for your helpful replies! I set my goal to lose 0.5kg/1lb a week therefore my daily intake should be 2100 calories but I will most likely change it to lose 0.25kg/0.5lb a week.