clean eating or small portions

Options
What did you find success with? Did you have to dive into clean eating, and it worked for you? Or did you eat the same with smaller portions? Myself, I think I'm going to do the smaller portions and try to eat healthier but not clean eating.

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like eating.
    If I can't do that then I won't stick to this plan.
    It has to be something I can do for the rest of my life if I want to be able to keep losing, and then maintain.
    If I deprive myself of foods I want/love then what is the point?
    I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable if that was the only option.

track the foods you eat properly, and you can have whatever you want as long as you have he calories in your day planned.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. If you just want to lose weight, then eat whatever you want as long as you're in a caloric deficit. If you want to feel better overall and make sure your body is getting proper nutrition, then try to incorporate more "clean" meals.

Me personally, when I was 330 plus pounds I couldn't just jump into clean eating. I started by eliminating sodas, then cut fast food to a couple times a week, then started eating more veggies, etc. Now, I'm 185 lbs and I eat fairly nutritious meals all through the week and treat myself to one really bad meal every weekend, i.e. In-N-Out, Pizza, Milkshake, etc.

That's just what worked for me. Try different things and see how your body feels after :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    More clarifying info: I never had a junk food problem to begin with. I ate pretty much what healthy people all eat, I just ate too much of it. I don't like candy bars but once a yearish, I don't really like cake or cookies all that much. I like green beans. I like fish. I have a natural taste preference for the "healthier" nutrient dense foods, so my situation may be unique compared to yours op.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    clean and small. sigh. My calorie allowance is kind of a joke.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't think of clean eating in terms of all the things you have to give up. Start with substitutions, improvements of the quality of your food where you can. These foods will keep you satisfied, so treats can be treats. You can enjoy them. Portion control is a good strategy for lowering calorie intake, but it is hard if you're just eating the same foods as always, only less.

For me, moving to a cleaner diet meant I got to spend more time discovering healthy ingredients, preparing meals, and enjoying them. It's not a switch you can (or should) just flip overnight. Now I can't see the point of eating half the stuff I used to eat. It doesn't taste as good, it doesn't fill me up, and it doesn't make me feel as good. This is something I've achieved over the course of several years of trying to change my body and get healthier.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What did you find success with? Did you have to dive into clean eating, and it worked for you? Or did you eat the same with smaller portions? Myself, I think I'm going to do the smaller portions and try to eat healthier but not clean eating.

IIFYM and snacking on smaller portions throughout the day (every 2-3 hours)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat 3 large meals and whatever I want, but I do focus on getting whole foods.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I actually tried to dive into "clean eating" as a form of weight loss earlier this year, and although it was a fun experiment, it resulted more in me binging on the foods I love after days of depriving myself.

I eat what I want to eat, but I make sure that it's a moderate portion and within my calorie range. I still love trying cleaner options--like getting Amy's microwave meals rather than Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine (less preservatives but more expensive), and making fresh meals ahead of time like chicken fajitas and salads. But if your goal is weight loss, start where you are by eating smaller portions of what you love or finding alternates for those things that are lower calorie/healthier.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't think of clean eating in terms of all the things you have to give up. Start with substitutions, improvements of the quality of your food where you can. These foods will keep you satisfied, so treats can be treats. You can enjoy them. Portion control is a good strategy for lowering calorie intake, but it is hard if you're just eating the same foods as always, only less.

For me, moving to a cleaner diet meant I got to spend more time discovering healthy ingredients, preparing meals, and enjoying them. It's not a switch you can (or should) just flip overnight. Now I can't see the point of eating half the stuff I used to eat. It doesn't taste as good, it doesn't fill me up, and it doesn't make me feel as good. This is something I've achieved over the course of several years of trying to change my body and get healthier.

I agree with this so much! I have spent the last few years incorporating healthier recipes and habits into my life, and every little change has added up! It's crazy looking back and seeing how natural the transition is when you take it slow and don't expect the change overnight.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I vote for portion control.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Foods I like at a calorie deficit. So neither?
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I started out strictly adhering to Trim Healthy Mama... but then I started to mess up here and there. And then I just didn't care. I like pretzels and bread. I like rice and potatoes. I still try to limit highly processed foods for the most part, but if I want it, I eat it. There is nothing more miserable than a person who "can't" have something. Life is too short to worry about a food being "good" or "clean".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Most successful people make changes here and there over time...they don't generally make sweeping changes overnight.

My diet now is "cleaner" that it was four years ago and I put much more emphasis on whole foods and don't eat much in the way of ultra processed foods...in fact, I can't think of any in particular...that said, portion control is still important...you can eat a diet rich in whole foods and still over eat..."clean" doesn't mean you're eating low calorie or that you can just eat any portions you please...

My diet consists of plenty of calorie dense things...I eat a lot of avocados and nuts and cook with good cooking oils and butter...I eat a lot of potatoes and sweet potatoes and lentils and legumes...all pretty calorie dense whole food nutrition...and the list goes on.

#caloriesmatter
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do both. Like a lot of posters, my diet is definitely moving toward cleaner, but if I want something bad enough, I'll make sure I have enough calories to afford it. I avoid drinking my calories because that's not satisfying for me. I play a game of eating as much as I possibly can but still hitting my calorie target.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like only. I wouldn't be able to stick to any diet but mine.
    At first I reduced the portions of everything including the sugar in my black coffee.
    At first I banked some calories for my chips snacks but after a while I realised I could replace this snack by something else I like but not addictive like chips.
    Now after 52 days on mfp I drink my coffee black without sugar and if I put sugar by mistake I don't like the sweet taste anymore.
    I don't eat chips anymore.
    Overall I reduce the portions of food high in calories but I add extra food low in calories to keep my stomach full.
    The result is I tend to eat more vegetables and fruits that I used to.
    But in the in the end you need to find what works for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Define clean eating....... google Twinkies diet. You'll have your answer! B)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me is tweaking macros and types of carbs - with more protein (and fiber), and less carbs from foods made from flour, I am able to eat less and maintain a calorie deficit.

My diet consists mainly of whole foods anyway. I think some of the clean eating rules are silly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always ate mostly whole foods and lots of nutrient-dense foods like vegetables. I just ignored portion size and cooked with more olive oil or butter than I needed and I would mindlessly eat at times (typically at work).

So I fixed those issues.

I don't think of food as "clean" or not, but I think my diet was pretty "clean" before, so what I did wasn't really about "cleaning it up." I am nutrition conscious and I think focusing on nutrition as well as calories (or portions) helps and for me is motivating.