Need help with a fitness goal

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I have a goal, just not sure what to do to get there.

The goal is to get my belly flab to stop touching my thighs which, if I measured correctly, is lifting my belly up about 3 inches. I don't care about a flat stomach or defined abs, just for once not having my belly on my thighs. I'm not sure what I need to do for a routine that I would enjoy doing 2-3 times a week. What I've been looking at is core strengthening. Correct me if this is wrong, but getting the muscles stronger would go a long way to helping lift up the flab and loose skin.

Preferences:
- on the cheap/minimal cost
- can be done at home
- doesn't have me on the floor (this is a childhood hang-up that I can work around, but I will hate doing it)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sadly, stronger muscles mean stronger muscles and not lifted flab or skin. Lifted flab/skin would mean losing more fat. I know you've lost a lot already. You may be dealing with permanently stretched skin or with skin that is still lined with fat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Agreed, those are not muscles resting on your thighs. Stay in a calorie deficit and do whatever exercise you enjoy. A combination of cardio and strength is usually preferred...
  • zyxst
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Sadly, stronger muscles mean stronger muscles and not lifted flab or skin. Lifted flab/skin would mean losing more fat. I know you've lost a lot already. You may be dealing with permanently stretched skin or with skin that is still lined with fat.

Oh there's definitely fat under the skin. That's why I call it flab, a combo of fat+ skin. I'd hoped stronger muscles would do something for it. I suppose I could spend all day sucking it in since that lifts my belly up by an inch.
    tumblr_mug3nupkLi1s2gg27o1_400.gif
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    There is no way to target a specific area. Fat is going to come off wherever it comes off based on your genetics, but generally, if you are eating right and exercising, you will lose it all over. I lost 42 lbs, and not only did I lose my belly flab, I lost flab in my butt, thighs, back, boobs (unfortunately), and even my feet shrunk at least a 1/2 size. Before I started a healthy lifestyle, my stomach used to touch my thighs when I sat down. It definitely doesn't do that anymore.

More important than exercise, is eating right. For me, I only accomplished that by tracking my calories and staying in my limits. I thought I was eating healthy before I started tracking, but when I actually added up my caloric intake, it was obvious why I had gained weight over the years. You can lose weight with diet alone, but you cannot lose weight with exercise alone. You can do whatever exercise you want, whether it's walking, aerobic workout videos, dance, zumba, etc... If you have cable TV, Amazon Prime or Netflix, they may have workout videos. There are videos on YouTube. Depending on how much you need to lose, I would recommend setting a goal to lose it slowly...maybe 1 lb a week. You may want it to come off faster, but if it does, you'll probably have excess skin and it can take a while to tighten up. You can use MFP to figure out what your calorie intake needs to be in order to lose your goal weight. Then, stick to it.
  • jemhh
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Oh there's definitely fat under the skin. That's why I call it flab, a combo of fat+ skin. I'd hoped stronger muscles would do something for it. I suppose I could spend all day sucking it in since that lifts my belly up by an inch.

That gif :smiley:

Yeah, the options are losing more fat or surgery. Subcutaneous fat is a *kitten* to deal with.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Thought I avoided the whole "you can't spot reduce" BS, but I guess core strengthening is just fancy language for spot reduction. Oh well, I learned something new today. :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Thought I avoided the whole "you can't spot reduce" BS, but I guess core strengthening is just fancy language for spot reduction. Oh well, I learned something new today. :)

You can't avoid the truth. Core strengthening is good but it won't give you the results you're looking for, only burning more calories than you put in your body will. Your body and genetics will determine where that fat comes from. If you gained a lot of weight and it stretched your skin to accommodate it, it's just going to take time for your body (and skin) to recover to a smaller size, if ever. It took time for you to gain that weight and shape, it's going to take time for it to reduce. What you're looking for is ways to lift your belly. The slow and steady way is to lose fat and hope your skin recovers. The fast way is to go get a tummy tuck.
  • jemhh
    Options

Oh no, spot strengthening is possible. You can absolutely choose to work specific muscles in order to strengthen and/or build those muscles (proper nutrition required blahblahblah.) Spot reduction would be thinking that core exercises would actually burn off that fat.
  • zyxst
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

You can't avoid the truth. Core strengthening is good but it won't give you the results you're looking for, only burning more calories than you put in your body will. Your body and genetics will determine where that fat comes from. If you gained a lot of weight and it stretched your skin to accommodate it, it's just going to take time for your body (and skin) to recover to a smaller size, if ever. It took time for you to gain that weight and shape, it's going to take time for it to reduce. What you're looking for is ways to lift your belly. The slow and steady way is to lose fat and hope your skin recovers. The fast way is to go get a tummy tuck.

After I wrote the bolded, I figured I typed out what I wanted to say wrong. I didn't think I was asking "can I spot reduce" but I guess I was and that inevitably leads to people telling me I need to start logging accurately because they've dug through my food diary and why the hell did I log half a cup of corn when grams are more accurate. Basically, it doesn't matter what gets asked, the posts lead to scrutinizing the food diary and how the OP is eating more than they think, even though what OP eats isn't remotely relative to the question asked.

I honestly didn't know "spot reduce" = "core strengthening". I thought since I can suck in my gut and pull up the flab an inch, strengthen my core muscles would help reduce the sagginess, aka lift it, without me having to suck in 18 hours a day.

At least I can avoid those floor exercises confident they wouldn't help anyway. Thanks for that.
  • jemhh
    Options
    @zyxst , I didn't take your post to mean spot reduction of fat at all. When you talked about lifting your belly I thought you literally meant making the folded over skin shorter. I have a sizable skin roll myself. If I just had a regular fat stomach rather than the double layer of folded over skin, it wouldn't be nearly the size it is now. That's what *I* was thinking you meant (whether you actually did or not), not that you were looking at spot fat reduction. I mean, if I could shrink my skin up somehow without losing an ounce of fat in that area, I would be thrilled. Flat or defined abs are not even on my radar.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Stomach vacuums are actually a pretty good exercise
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well there's a similar thread on here somewhere and the consensus was that it's definitely worthwhile doing core exercises even if you still want to lose weight from that area.
    Maybe doing some pilates workouts on YouTube would help? There are lots of standing exercises if you don't like to do the floor ones. It's great for your posture and standing tall makes you look slimmer.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    darebee.com/ Here's a good site to check out for workouts and programs. I'll bet you can find something fun that keeps you off the floor and helps you meet your goal!

Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Improving your core and good posture will definitely improve the look of your tummy even if it can't get rid of the skin flap- time may help with that.

Second @Sued0nim with the vacuum. I was taught it 43 y ago after giving birth- then forgot about it for 33. :'(

Once you get the hang of it you can practice it anywhere. I do it while driving long distance to visit my GS. Chech for engagement at stop lights.

If you can find one, a belly dancing class would be excellent. Really puts you in touch with all the different muscles in the abdomen. If a class is out try YouTube. Make sure it is an instructor that really does explain what muscles you are supposed to be engaging. Yup I do these exercises in the car too.

Apart from starting to lift the above, and time, are what have made the biggest impact on my abdomen. (never had a flap but lots and lots of jiggle)

Oh and as soon as you feel yourself slouching, sitting or standing, correct your posture.

Cheers, h.

Sorry that was a bit long and chatty. Here are useful links-

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

http://sortyourpostureout.com/what-is-my-core-abdominal-bracing-vs-tva/

@zyxst, just done the unusual for me and checked your profile.
    All I can say is <3<3<3
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    there is no way to target that fat BUT there is nothing wrong with strengthening your core - it is a great idea.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Even though losing weight with cardio and diet are good ideas, I think muscle development in the area would help. The muscles will, in theory, use up the fat closest to it in an effort to recover from exercise. It can also be a refreshing change from the usual cardio routine. You can do leg lifts, crunches, and muay thai knee strikes to attack that stubborn belly fat.
  • jemhh
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Even though losing weight with cardio and diet are good ideas, I think muscle development in the area would help. The muscles will, in theory, use up the fat closest to it in an effort to recover from exercise. It can also be a refreshing change from the usual cardio routine. You can do leg lifts, crunches, and muay thai knee strikes to attack that stubborn belly fat.

Creative phrasing but that would be spot reduction which, again, doesn't happen (except in one study that had people leg press a zillion times for a fraction of a millimeter difference in fat.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find good, old-fashioned, plain old push ups to be super effective for everything core, including the belly, back, arms and legs. If you don't want to touch the floor with your hands, try doing them from a bench with your legs fully extended (not on knees).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I find good, old-fashioned, plain old push ups to be super effective for everything core, including the belly, back, arms and legs. If you don't want to touch the floor with your hands, try doing them from a bench with your legs fully extended (not on knees).

I agree with press ups being an excellent exercise

But am confused at the rationale for doing them from a bench? That's a progression to full press up movement not a don't want to put my hands on floor thing

Isn't it?

Why would someone be concerned about that?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure what OP meant by "doesn't have me on the floor", but if hands a feet are okay touching the ground, by all means, do push-ups with hands and toes on the floor!