Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Flax seed oil?

I have some....Im struggling to figure out how to really use it...
If you use it? what do you put it in so it doesnt taste like *kitten*? I dont get grossed out by much, but this really makes me gag.
I dont want to waste it though...
suggestions suggestions suggestions....please ;)

Replies

• dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    i never used the oil, but i did use the flax seeds themselves. those you can put in pretty much everythingggg- oatmeal, salads, pasta, rice, even yogurt. and they just have a slightly nutty flavor.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    I have used it as salad dressing. It's not that great by itself like you said so I will use balsamic vinegar with half flax oil and half olive oil.
  • panda_rocks
    panda_rocks Posts: 34 Member
    hmmm...I have been chowing down on salad, i could def. add it to my balsamic vinagrette dressing...great idea!

I did the seeds, the prb is my grinder is broken....and I find it a big waste to buy the pre ground stuff as I dont use it fast enough for it to be effective (its my understanding that it needs to by used up pretty much right away once ground)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    personally?

It's good to polish furniture with and acts as a drying oil in oil paints.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    You could put it in your oatmeal (1-2 tbs) or I use it when I make salad dressing in place of olive oil, Mixed in like this you really don't taste *kitten*! lol
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    I've never used it as oil, just taken the capsules. I think adding it to something else oil based is the best solution like others have said.

When you've used it up, get flax seed meal. You can bake with it, add it to yogurt/cereal/etc, pretty much anything. I buy Bob's Red Mill brand and it comes in an opaque bag that you keep in the fridge so it stays fresh. And it's delicious.
  • panda_rocks
    personally?

It's good to polish furniture with and acts as a drying oil in oil paints.

hahahaha...thanks for the laugh
  • panda_rocks
    I've never used it as oil, just taken the capsules. I think adding it to something else oil based is the best solution like others have said.

When you've used it up, get flax seed meal. You can bake with it, add it to yogurt/cereal/etc, pretty much anything. I buy Bob's Red Mill brand and it comes in an opaque bag that you keep in the fridge so it stays fresh. And it's delicious.

interesting! will look into it...never heard of it this way before :)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    is it true that flax seeds are only good if they are ground so your body can absorb the nutrients? I think I read somewhere that whole flax just goes right through the digestive tract if not ground. Happy antioxidants and fiber though!
  • panda_rocks
    is it true that flax seeds are only good if they are ground so your body can absorb the nutrients? I think I read somewhere that whole flax just goes right through the digestive tract if not ground. Happy antioxidants and fiber though!

thats what I heard too...
    its actually why I got the oil...not thinking it would be so blech! hehe
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    i take a flax oil supplement in a pill form!
  • panda_rocks
    i take a flax oil supplement in a pill form!

smart choice
  • mtalle3
    mtalle3 Posts: 11
    I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast 1cup skim milk 1cup frozen strawberries 1banana and 2tsp flax oil and I blend it in my magic bullet I love it! My dad uses flax oil as a cancer preventative (he is in remission) he blends cottage cheese frozen berries and flax oil (a lot more than I do) you can't taste the oil at all and its really good for you
  • panda_rocks
    I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast 1cup skim milk 1cup frozen strawberries 1banana and 2tsp flax oil and I blend it in my magic bullet I love it! My dad uses flax oil as a cancer preventative (he is in remission) he blends cottage cheese frozen berries and flax oil (a lot more than I do) you can't taste the oil at all and its really good for you

i really have to start making my smoothies again.
    I tried it with my cottage cheese and berries, and honestly almost yarfed.