Protein question

Options
GRRRRRR!!!!:explode:
What can I eat that has NO protein? I have like 500 cals left but I'm over on my protein by like 16.... HELP!!!!! I only ask cause every day I fight with my protein and everything I try to eat seems to be protein rich... even stuff w/ carbs.

Replies

• TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    GRRRRRR!!!!:explode:
    What can I eat that has NO protein? I have like 500 cals left but I'm over on my protein by like 16.... HELP!!!!! I only ask cause every day I fight with my protein and everything I try to eat seems to be protein rich... even stuff w/ carbs.
  • dollface_x3
    Options
    You don't have to follow those numbers to the exact.
    Having extra protein isn't going to stop you from losing weight.
    Those are just guidelines.
    As long as you stay within calories, you're fine.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    How about some fruit?
  • jbloggins
    Options
    curious, what are you typically eating? I have the opposite problem... too many carbs not enough protein or fat.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You and me both! I am always over as well so I accept and move on...hasn't chnaged my weight loss so I just roll with it :happy:
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    just an FYI... it is not bad to go over on your protein especially if you are working out... it helps repair your muscles :flowerforyou:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on my protein..but way under everything else..I think as long as you are active, it will be fine.
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    curious, what are you typically eating? I have the opposite problem... too many carbs not enough protein or fat.

We should swap menus! lol. I have 1.5 c special k red berries w/ 3/4 c 1% milk and 8oz juicy juice for breakfast.
    Lunch is 14 slices of Turkey breast (Butterball deep fried herb) with 1 slice of sargento reduced fat provolone and 2 slices of wonder whole grain white bread topped with 1 tblsp of Kraft Olive oil Mayo.
    Dinner is usually a low fat meat veggie and carb. Tonight is 5 oz of lemon pepper chix breast, 2 c roasted red potatoes, and 2 c frozen sweet corn.
    I have tried to come up with snacks that have no protein, but my 2 favs (100 cal pack grasshoppers and WW Giant choco cookie ice cream bars) both have 2 g protein. I had to cut out my 8oz 1% milk with lunch since it added that much more protein. I don't worry about going over by a few grams, but when I'm in the double digits I worry about it turning the existing fat into muscle and therefore giving me a bulky appearance.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a slim fast at 8am, a nutrigrain bar with fruit at 10 am, a yoplait at 12, a turkey sandwich and vege at 2, another fruit or vege and string cheese at 4, and dinner (chicken usually with veges and maybe brown rice) at 630 ish...I am so under. I have been eating special k before bed just to come close
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I searched online for more information. Right now my food profile allows 47 grams, most websites said a minimum of 50-60, some said more than that. I agree with the comments stating that it is better to be over in protein and under in fat and carbs (especially if you are working out).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends the minimum amount of protein a normal person should eat. Since we're all active, which makes us slightly abnormal, we need to eat a bit more. You can go to the My Home Tab and choose Goals, and then Custom Goals. Then bump up your protein to about 20-25%, which is where it should be for an active person. You'll probably feel fuller as well.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I don't worry about going over by a few grams, but when I'm in the double digits I worry about it turning the existing fat into muscle and therefore giving me a bulky appearance.

Fat doesn't turn into muscle - they are entirely different things in your bod, so that is impossible. And you will not get bulky just by eating more than the minimum recommended protein. You may get bulky if you are doing a lot of strength training, particularly if you work to the point of failure on a regular basis, AND you nearly double your protein intake to compensate for the strength training AND you have a genetic predisposition for building excess muscle.

I had to change my settings in MFP to increase my protein allotment. The default settings (I believe) are 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. That ratio may not be appropriate for everyone, and definitely wasn't appropriate for me.

Also, one or two grams of protein from dairy and plant items is a pretty small amount and really nothing to worry about. You should try to balance out your meals so you get protein with every meal/snack. The body breaks food down better when you get carbs, fat, and protein together at every meal, as each component is broken down at a different rate and used for different bodily processes.