How do you tone up your stomach?

Options
As I get closer to my goal of 120 lbs, I've noticed my stomach is flabby and pouch looking. :brokenheart: One of my motivations for losing the weight is to eventually wear a bikini. How do you tone up your stomach to make it more flat and less wrinkly and pouch like without killing yourself with crunches and sit ups? Any suggestions are welcome! :happy:

Replies

• bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise ball and gunnar sp? peterson's workouts will flatten a belly. of course i have yet to stick to it long term....but when i have done it, i see tremendous changes (quickly at that) and since you're on a ball and not the floor....there are no dreaded crunches. its a bit funner, i think, than normal crunches and sit ups.

edited for typos
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Your skin will tighten up in time. Just wait, stay hydrated and moisturize. Of course, ab exercises never hurt. :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, you need to lose overall bodyfat. There are exercises that will help strengthen the abdominal muscles, but doesn't mean anything if they are hidden under a layer of fat! Are you weight training at all? They say abs are made in the kitchen, and I must say, the cleaner I eat, the more I notice my abs. I would suggest weight training 3-4 times a week (lifting heavy), eating clean 90% of the time (no processed foods, choose your carbs carefully, lots of fresh veggies and fruit, lean protein) and do some cardio...

edited to add: I have to say, since incorporating the seated ab crunch machine and hanging knee raises, I noticed a huge difference in my abs. I do 3 sets of 30 crunches at 36kgs when I use the crunch machine, and 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps of hanging knee raises. I also do leg raises, normal crunches and side crunches 3-4 times a week.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    I read that these are supposed to be the best for toning abs .. Hope it helps

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of crunches. Get yourself a workout that targets the core and it works. One of my favorites is Kettle Works. You know what else works?.... running or race walking! When you run (race walk), you engage your core. When you cover a long distance you can feel your obliques getting toned.

Also, this is a tip from a trainer. When you sit, practice good posture and SUCK IT IN! This is what will help you tone up 'better than any ab workout'.
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    Cardio is what will ultimately give you a flat stomach... ab exercises are good for definition, but you gotta lose the fat first... make sure you are holding you abs tight whenever you workout--this will not only give you better lower back support, but it will strengthen your transverse abdominal muscle, and soon it will be holding your stomach in tighter on it's own!

If your problem is just loose skin, that's a little harder--that one you will just have to put in time's hands... eventually your skin will firm up on it's own, depending on your age depends how quick it'll happen, but really not matter your age quick it will not be... you can supplement with Vitamin E (really good for your skin) and vitamin E lotions--you can try the firming lotions but I can't say if those really work...
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As they say abs are made on the kitchen. I would suggest a clean diet along with cardio and a good ab routine. With more focus on diet than exercise.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I'm working on something called the Vacuum. You exhale all that you can and then suck up your stomach muscles without inhaling and hold it for 15 seconds..this works the inner core. You can do this sitting, standing, laying and walking..Good Luck!
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    When I saw my physiotherapist a while ago with a bad back she told me I needed to strengthen my abdominal muscles to help support my lower lumbar discs. This involves lying flat with your knees up and pulling in your lower ab muscles and holding for a few seconds (remember to breathe in and out with each movement). Do this a few times a day whenever you remember and you should notice a difference in a month. I don't have a stomach like a surf board but it is definitely much more toned since I have been doing this particular exercise. Another good exercise when standing is to pull in all your lower pelvic muscles as tight as you can (as though you are holding your bladder) this is very good for the abs too. Hope this helps.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    When I saw my physiotherapist a while ago with a bad back she told me I needed to strengthen my abdominal muscles to help support my lower lumbar discs. This involves lying flat with your knees up and pulling in your lower ab muscles and holding for a few seconds (remember to breathe in and out with each movement). Do this a few times a day whenever you remember and you should notice a difference in a month. I don't have a stomach like a surf board but it is definitely much more toned since I have been doing this particular exercise. Another good exercise when standing is to pull in all your lower pelvic muscles as tight as you can (as though you are holding your bladder) this is very good for the abs too. Hope this helps.

That seems fairly easy... thanks!
  • colbiegirl
    Options
    Any other specific exercises would be helpful too. :)
    Maybe some kind of modified crunches or free online video?
  • katem8600
    katem8600 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    the only exercise that ever helped my abs is doing sit ups on the lat pull down machine at the gym. I've done tons of crunches and other ab workouts but they don't target the center of my belly where I store all the fat.. I also have to keep my weight really low with low calories and cardio but when i get on that thing, it's the deepest burn I've ever felt and after like 2 weeks I love my belly!
  • colbiegirl
    Options

Great post! I definitely want to try that video at the bottom!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Planks! Those will help strengthen your ab muscles in no time.. just get into a push position and hold it for about 30 seconds to a minute.

Thats what my trainer has me do, and it's absolutely crazy how much it can your abs hurt!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I know running helps me with shrinking my tummy. I also do ab excercises.

I had a friend show me some good excercises with a swiss ball, let me tell you - i feel the burn..
    i know i need to do more ab excercies during the week, that'll be one of my new goals.. to incorporate more core excercies. :)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/ab-workout-women

hope that helps... :)
  • 1erica60
    1erica60 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You could also try Oxycise. I have the dvd but I think you might be able to at least try it online. I have been doing it for 2 weeks- every other day- and I can really feel a difference in my stomach muscles! Basically it is deep, slow breathing while you focus on tightening your buns and abs! Good luck!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toneyourstomach
    Options
    I just promote healthy living and exercise as much as possible. I got more tips on how to tone your stomach and more. Just check this site http://www.tonedstomach.org/how_to_tone_your_stomach.html. Thanks!
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    All about lowering your body fat %. Unfortunately, there are no specific exercise that will target fat loss in that region. Good luck on your goals!