Men 2500 calories ?

Options
tomhurst
tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
If men are supposedly meant to eat around 2500 calories (to maintain weight?) then why does my Google fit show a lot less calories being used in a day?
These are all active calories apart from 29 inactive calories.

http://i.imgur.com/9dOUvaO.jpg

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2500 calories...I need around 3,000 to maintain. 2,500 is just a generalization...

Also, I don't know anything about Google Fit...does it track your BMR and such...exercise and activity are only part of your "burn"...you burn a *kitten* ton of calories just existing...in fact, mere existence is most of what the vast majority of people burn in a day.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I plated with the web Fit and I don't recall it have a caloric goal for the day?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I looked at Google Fit and the available activities for logging are a limited subset of the very comprehensive list of characterized MET exercises. "Standing", as I'm doing right now, is a MET 2 exercise not available on Google Fit. "Hunting, dragging carcass" is a serious calorie burn in the MET database but not offered on Google Fit. Since Google Fit offers a curated list of exercises, and I didn't curate it, it offers me nothing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    tomhurst wrote: »
    If men are supposedly meant to eat around 2500 calories (to maintain weight?) then why does my Google fit show a lot less calories being used in a day?

Taller people burn more calories in a day than shorter people, all else being equal. Heavier folks burn more calories than lighter ones. People with lots of muscle burn more than people who don't have as much. I don't mean by doing exercise like running, I mean by getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom. I mean by having a heart beat, by expanding and contracting your lungs. Anyway, we don't all burn 2,500 cals, and you might not burn exactly that number, either.

No idea about Google Fit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    Not sure where "men are supposedly meant to eat 2500 calories" came from, but I maintain just fine at 2200 for day-to-day existence. Days I exercise I eat more. Kept the same weight, to within a couple pounds, for months.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Uh I'd have to be pretty damn active to maintain at 2500 every day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I maintain on 4300 calories, it's all subjective to the individual and like others said weight and activity level.

Investing trust or money in a gadget is not as wise as the marketing used to get you to buy it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    2500 calories is a number plucked out of the air and is not applicable to the entire population. Work on your calorie needs and forget the number exists.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Your daily caloric requirement is dependent on a number of factors, most importantly sex, height, weight, activity level and whether you want to gain, maintain or lose.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's an average population measure not a personal prescription

I don't actually think gender is relevant as height, weight, muscularity and activity levels

I've been maintaining at 2400-2700 recently and I'm a little old woman
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3. 194 (3?) pounds. And my BMR is 1699 per day. I had it measured last month. My daily movement adds a good 400-500 to that. So my TDEE is generally 2300. If I ate 2500 per day I'd gain a pound every 2.5 weeks.
    (The reason is I am (was?) 23.5% body fat. So I've been combatting that by really upping my lean protein intake and started strength training. ) Genetics probably plays a role too, but more on the ~50 cal per day level, low but not zero.
    I was 208 lb in January, so the trend is in the right direction overall.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in two years eating 1600-1800 calories now I can't put a pound on eating 2700- 3000 so I just keep moving and eating and jump on the scale every sunday not sure about the science but I feel fantastic, look great and have no other issues so all is good.